Jenerii

Being over 125%, does I-944 still requires my wife's assets?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi,

Now that the i944 requirement is back, I have some questions.

1) We are above 125%. From what I read, I (the petitioner) don't need to include my assets. Does that mean my wife (the beneficiary) doesn't have to submit her assets (12 months worth of bank statements) as well?

2) If she needs to submit her bank statements, would we have to translate them all? 2-4 pages per bank statement. That's about 48 pages in total which will cost us over 900 dollars to translate. Will we be able to just translate one bank statement? Because the only thing that changes throughout all the bank statements is the list of purchase and the amount of money she has in her bank.

Help?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

do the instructions say not required?  If not required above tbe 125% threshold then hardly anyone would be submitting 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

do the instructions say not required?  If not required above tbe 125% threshold then hardly anyone would be submitting 

That's the thing. The instructions are so vague. It says if I am under 125%, I "may" list my assets to prove I can get by so it seems to imply that if I am above 125%, I don't need to worry about that.

We talked it out and we decided to go ahead and submit the 12 bank statements. Our biggest concern at the moment is the cost of translating 48 pages. Could we send the first 3 months to a certified translator then using the translated words for the rest of the bank statements? 

22 hours ago, Jenerii said:

That's the thing. The instructions are so vague. It says if I am under 125%, I "may" list my assets to prove I can get by so it seems to imply that if I am above 125%, I don't need to worry about that.

We talked it out and we decided to go ahead and submit the 12 bank statements. Our biggest concern at the moment is the cost of translating 48 pages. Could we send the first 3 months to a certified translator then using the translated words for the rest of the bank statements? 

Not sure on the bank statements but it is better to give too much than not enough. My wife (Petitioner) is over 400% and we still included her CDs, checking and savings accounts. We that was sufficient and did not include her retirement and house but better more than not enough. Also remember that the i864 and i944 are completely different documents. Even if you far above 125%, the i944 if for the beneficiary so it still has to be treated independently. Despite the USC income/assets, I still included my assets, credit card statements for 12 months and bank statements for all my account for 12 months. 

Whether you need to translate them all I do not know but all my statements were in CAD and I didn't convert them to USD. If you can look at the statement and clearly see the numbers/value, personally myself with no expertise, I would only translate the 3 and include the rest untranslated. 

Timeline
On 9/25/2020 at 3:35 PM, bpg123 said:

Not sure on the bank statements but it is better to give too much than not enough. My wife (Petitioner) is over 400% and we still included her CDs, checking and savings accounts. We that was sufficient and did not include her retirement and house but better more than not enough. Also remember that the i864 and i944 are completely different documents. Even if you far above 125%, the i944 if for the beneficiary so it still has to be treated independently. Despite the USC income/assets, I still included my assets, credit card statements for 12 months and bank statements for all my account for 12 months. 

Whether you need to translate them all I do not know but all my statements were in CAD and I didn't convert them to USD. If you can look at the statement and clearly see the numbers/value, personally myself with no expertise, I would only translate the 3 and include the rest untranslated. 

Thank you for the help! So, in your experience, they were okay with the unconverted currency? 

1 hour ago, Jenerii said:

Thank you for the help! So, in your experience, they were okay with the unconverted currency? 

I am still awaiting my interview but I haven't received a RFE and I submitted 3.5 months ago. That said, there is zero chance anyone from Canada is having their currencies converted on their bank statements. They ask what the value of your assets/debts are in the i944 in USD and as long as you convert there that will be sufficient. They mainly want your bank statements to see you're paying bills, making deposits and the value isn't consistently zero dollars or overdraft. Its more evidence to back up what you are telling them and for them to look for anything really strange. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.