Katykat_mc

N-400 319(b) - too early?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I am a GC holder and my husband is in the US army. We are PCSing to Germany in 12/2021.

My husband already received "soft" orders and now I am wondering how early is too early to file for naturalization under 319(b)? I would love to avoid paying more on fees if 

it would be OK to file now. I know a few ladies who applied in July and are PCSing in March 2021.

Would anyone know what would happen to my paid money order if USCIS would say it is too early? Would they keep the payment or send it back to me?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

since its 12/2021 i suggest you wait a bit for hard orders, and get some of the documents you would need. Doing it early is the best. But you will need your hard orders for proof if you want it expedited and to show and prove you qualify under ina 319 b if you'll be filling under that. Because without any of those documents you won't have any proof... and so how will the uscis officers know if you're telling them the truth or not? There will be higher chances they might not approve you for expedite or for ina 319 b because you can't prove it. 

I know those ladies you were talking about. Dao is one of them. But they filled their cause having hard orders already. 

I got my soft orders last feb 2020. I got my hard orders march 2020. I wanted to file by may.. but the irs office was closed and we couldn't get our joint tax return (we don't have loans or credit cards so we couldn't file it online) anyway i ended up filling it last sept 4 because i wanted to submit everything completely. Including the dea (dependent approval) and the dd 1278 which your base legal signs/chief/commander signs. Having more evidence is always great so that they process it more quickly or smother. Having less might make them send you a rfe (request for further evidence). And then make the process longer for you. I'm got my biometrics notice letter today so i'll be waiting in the mail for it to arrive next week and try to schedule it earlier again. Though the military hotline has been helpful. With me it hasn't been a week, i got my receipt number last friday night in a text. I expedited my case last monday morning and like you read i got my biometrics appointment right away. So when the time comes you have your hard orders, the military hotline will for sure help you expedite it and you'd still have ample time before you move. I'm pcsing by the end of oct by the way and hoping to finish by then..another lady applied for her n400 last sept 14, and expedited on that same day. Last monday she sent in an email and they actually already are sending it to her local field office for her interview schedule for this month or early next month.

Another thing is, if you file a case and its not your time yet they reject it out right, they return your money and your case/documents. If you file and don't have complete stuff they accept your application and then reject it later on... They take your money away and then you have to refile and send new money again for later. Its stated something like that in the uscis instructions of the particular form i think and even in their website so please double check.

K1 Visa:
Sent: 12 - 20 - 2017   ||   Received: 12 - 21 - 2017   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 26 - 2017   ||   NOA 2: 07 - 1 - 18   ||  NVC Received: 08 - 02 - 2018 

||  NVC Assigned MNC: 08 - 07 - 2018  ||   USEM Received: 08 - 09 -2018   ||  Interview Date: 08 - 20 - 2018   ||  Visa on Hand: 08 - 24 - 2018   ||  CFO Seminar: 08 - 31 - 2018    ||  POE: 09 - 05 - 2018    ||  Wedding: 09 -16 - 2018

AOS:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

EAD:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

AP:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Do not recommend with soft orders. I live in Japan and was thinking on applying for citizenship already but I will wait until June, in which my 90 day window officially opens up.  I haven’t rushed to get citizenship yet because of all this covid19 going on. Hopefully by then things go smoother 

MY JOURNEY INTO GETTING A FIRST-TIME GREEN CARD, RENEWING A GREEN CARD, AND OBTAINING U.S. CITIZENSHIP:

I-130: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/08/23/my-spouse-visa-process-and-timeline-ir1-cr1/ From Colombia 🇨🇴

I-751: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/i-751-joint-petition-to-remove-conditions-on-residence/From Japan 🇯🇵 (Military spouse overseas)

N-400: https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/2022/08/03/3430/ From Japan 🇯🇵 

BLOG:  https://vsjourneyss.wordpress.com/inmigr/   

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We received my wife’s green card in June 2019. Arrived in Japan on July 2019, filed for naturalization as soon as we got to japan. My wife was naturalized with no issues on December 2019. Let me know if you have any questions. 319B is if your spouse is already overseas that’s why we applied as soon as we got to Japan. We had to fly back to the states however to complete interview/oath same day. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you are PCSing to Germany in December 2021 with your U.S military spouse; you may want to wait until you arrive in Germany before filing the N-400.

IF you are a LPR military spouse; stationed overseas on PCS orders and have been a lawful permanent resident for three (3) years AND married spouse for three (3) years, you can file the N-400 under 319(e) VICE 319(b).

Filing under 319(e) MEANS that your interview and ceremony would take place in Stuttgart, Germany.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.