Chee88

Is there anyone filed with same sex engagement?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
Just now, HRQX said:

Depending on her work schedule, there might be an appointment slot that is convenient for you two to apply for marriage license: https://azcourthelp.org/topics/marriage/marriage-license

Oh, so there is no problem about that having marriage in different states than residence state??

Just now, Chee88 said:

Oh, so there is no problem about that having marriage in different states than residence state??

It's not an issue in AZ.

Another option is Las Vegas. It's very quick there. Everything can be done in one day. In Las Vegas, the Marriage Bureau office is open every day of the year from 8AM to midnight. @Loren Y has officiated weddings in Las Vegas.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

It's not an issue in AZ.

Another option is Las Vegas. It's very quick there. Everything can be done in one day. In Las Vegas, the Marriage Bureau office is open every day of the year from 8AM to midnight. @Loren Y has officiated weddings in Las Vegas.

That's great to know!! Thank you so much!!

My partner can't take any day off during weekdays 8am - 5pm.

So we definitely, don't have time to fly to Las Vegas...

I'll talk about it with her and will see our availability!!

Thank you again!!

Just one more question, if you know, could you tell me what do we need to have marriage certificate such as some papers for it?  

Will my partner need  suck as her birth certificate or so??

18 minutes ago, Chee88 said:

I'm from New Jersey and we got married in Central Park in New York. You can definitely get married in a different state!! Plenty of people also have destination weddings all over the US too.  Good luck!

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Timeline
Just now, Sarah&Facundo said:

I'm from New Jersey and we got married in Central Park in New York. You can definitely get married in a different state!! 

Thank you!! I really don't know about the US states system...

It confuses me a lot...

4 minutes ago, Chee88 said:

Will my partner need  suck as her birth certificate or so??

That's not needed. She'll present her Driver's License or ID. You'll present your Japanese passport.

5 minutes ago, Chee88 said:

My partner can't take any day off during weekdays 8am - 5pm.

So we definitely, don't have time to fly to Las Vegas...

Just a reminder that in Las Vegas the office is also open on weekends. So everything can be done on Saturday or Sunday. You can ask @Loren Y for more info.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
23 hours ago, Chee88 said:

Hi, 

I'm a Japanese girl and I got engaged with my American girlfriend.

Now I am in the US with Visitor visa to work on the document together with my partner.

My partner is not good at paper work and full-time job so I research while she's at work.

I was checking many topics here.

However, I haven't seen any same-sex couple information so I just wanted to know if there's any or not.

I just want to be connected with people in the same situation and if anyone can give me some tips about it, I feel great and I really appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you!!

Hello, we are a same sex couple. We are done with the Immigration process, but stay on here to help others. What are your questions? Basically, the process is the same. The only difference I have seen is they don't look at age of the couple for obvious reasons. However, documentation is just as rigorous.

I note you are here in the US. Are you planning on returning to Japan after the filing? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you don't have to go back to Japan, getting married anywhere in the US and staying to file adjustment of status is an option.  You would have to cancel your travel plans to return, and be very aware that the adjustment of status process takes a long time before you get an EAD to allow you to work or an AP to allow you to leave the country, at least 6 months or longer, plus another 6+ months for a green card, so keep those issues in mind.  If traveling out of the country and working to earn income are both important to you, then continue with K-1 or get married and do CR-1, you would return to Japan as planned and wait for the visa interview abroad in 6-12 months if all goes well.  Adjustment of status would make it possible for you to stay in the US together, but if the restrictions on work and foreign travel are not a problem for you, it's worth considering before you leave.  Good luck whatever you choose to do!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, HRQX said:

That's not needed. She'll present her Driver's License or ID. You'll present your Japanese passport.

Just a reminder that in Las Vegas the office is also open on weekends. So everything can be done on Saturday or Sunday. You can ask @Loren Y for more info.

Thank you. I'll talk with my partner 🙂

Timeline
1 minute ago, NYCruiser said:

Hello, we are a same sex couple. We are done with the Immigration process, but stay on here to help others. What are your questions? Basically, the process is the same. The only difference I have seen is they don't look at age of the couple for obvious reasons. However, documentation is just as rigorous.

I note you are here in the US. Are you planning on returning to Japan after the filing? 

Hi NYCruiser,

Thank you for your message. I'm so glad to hear another success story of LGBTQ+ ppl!!

My partner and I were planning to complete all documents preparation before I leave here.

And when we get back to VA, she'll post it after my departure and before her next work trip with her birth certificate which she didn't bring with her here in AZ.

But now I'm considering about CR-1 too by all other people's suggestions.  Because CR-1 seems better as the fee is less and I can work sooner when I came back to the US even though I need to stay longer in Japan. 

I want to research more about it and want to consider with my partner when she came back from work.

And she needs to talk with her boss to take a day off for the marriage license which can be hard. She usually can't take any day off during weekdays on her work trip...

Timeline
10 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

If you don't have to go back to Japan, getting married anywhere in the US and staying to file adjustment of status is an option.  You would have to cancel your travel plans to return, and be very aware that the adjustment of status process takes a long time before you get an EAD to allow you to work or an AP to allow you to leave the country, at least 6 months or longer, plus another 6+ months for a green card, so keep those issues in mind.  If traveling out of the country and working to earn income are both important to you, then continue with K-1 or get married and do CR-1, you would return to Japan as planned and wait for the visa interview abroad in 6-12 months if all goes well.  Adjustment of status would make it possible for you to stay in the US together, but if the restrictions on work and foreign travel are not a problem for you, it's worth considering before you leave.  Good luck whatever you choose to do!

Thank you for more information about the options!!

I don't want to change my plan to go back to Japan as my aunty is fighting against cancer. I also don't like to stay not working for long time and be taken care of by my partner.

We need more savings for our life together here. So current option is K-1 or CR-1 so I can go back to Japan and work there for saving.

But problem is whether my partner can take a day off for marriage certificate or not...

I will talk to her tonight and will update here!!

Thank you again for all!!

8 minutes ago, Chee88 said:

Thank you for more information about the options!!

I don't want to change my plan to go back to Japan as my aunty is fighting against cancer. I also don't like to stay not working for long time and be taken care of by my partner.

We need more savings for our life together here. So current option is K-1 or CR-1 so I can go back to Japan and work there for saving.

But problem is whether my partner can take a day off for marriage certificate or not...

I will talk to her tonight and will update here!!

Thank you again for all!!

Good luck! I'm not in a same sex marriage, I came on a K1 and I strongly recommend you to go for the CR1 instead. Getting married in the US is relatively easy depending on the state as others have already said. K1 has many disadvantages, keep that in mind mind

Timeline
1 minute ago, Orangesapples said:

Good luck! I'm not in a same sex marriage, I came on a K1 and I strongly recommend you to go for the CR1 instead. Getting married in the US is relatively easy depending on the state as others have already said. K1 has many disadvantages, keep that in mind mind

Thank you for your advice, Orangesapples !!

Yeah, I really wish I had researched more earlier and prepared...

We were too busy to enjoy our moment before apart again...

But yes, I will show my partner all chat here and will talk about it  tonight!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.