Chee88

Is there anyone filed with same sex engagement?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, 

I'm a Japanese girl and I got engaged with my American girlfriend.

Now I am in the US with Visitor visa to work on the document together with my partner.

My partner is not good at paper work and full-time job so I research while she's at work.

I was checking many topics here.

However, I haven't seen any same-sex couple information so I just wanted to know if there's any or not.

I just want to be connected with people in the same situation and if anyone can give me some tips about it, I feel great and I really appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

There is no difference if the relationship is same sex or heterosexual. You follow the same guidelines. I am assuming you are looking into the k1 visa, correct? Also look over the CR1 and see which would be better for you both. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

1 hour ago, Chee88 said:

Now I am in the US with Visitor visa

You are currently in the US and eligible to AOS (after getting married). Are there strong reasons compelling you to return to Japan soon? If not, you can marry here and then start AOS process. If such reasons do exist, you can marry here, the US citizen files* I-130 petition to start CR-1 process, and you return to Japan as already planned.

*In filing I-130 for CR-1 process, "The beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the United States, but he or she will apply for an immigrant visa abroad at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in" section would be filled out.

Same-sex spouses of U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), along with their minor children, are now eligible for the same immigration benefits as opposite-sex spouses. Consular officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates will adjudicate their immigrant visa applications upon receipt of an approved I-130 or I-140 petition from USCIS. For further information, please see our FAQ’s.

From <https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-a-spouse-or-fiance-of-a-us-citizen.html>

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chee88 said:

Hi, 

Now I am in the US with Visitor visa to work on the document together with my partner.

My partner is not good at paper work and full-time job so I research while she's at work.

However, I haven't seen any same-sex couple information so I just wanted to know if there's any or not.

I just want to be connected with people in the same situation and if anyone can give me some tips about it, I feel great and I really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

Why do you believe same sex couples need special information?  

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
2 hours ago, Chee88 said:

Hi, 

Thank you!!

The K-1 makes no difference between same sex and opposite sex couples. Me (female) and my now wife had no problems whatsoever :) 

It would be helpful if you fill in your timeline so ppl here can give you better tailored advice. 

Good luck!

Edited by jeanieCZ

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
19 hours ago, payxibka said:

Likely because we face additional scrutiny and discrimination with everything in our lives.  It's getting better but it's still a huge problem in many places.

I recommend being extra careful you have everything done perfectly and hopefully things will be just fine.  My I-129F was approved very quickly.  Of course now it's stuck at the NVC but that's happening to everyone.

Timeline
21 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

There is no difference if the relationship is same sex or heterosexual. You follow the same guidelines. I am assuming you are looking into the k1 visa, correct? Also look over the CR1 and see which would be better for you both. 

Thank you, Luckycuds!!

Yes, I believe there is no difference, I mean I want to believe.

However, being LGBTQ+ is always tough than hetero...

I am from Japan. I can't marry my girlfriend there. That's the reason I wanted to some hear success stories of other LGBTQ+ people.

But thank you so much for commenting and sharing your process 🙂

And thank you for your suggestion of other option!!

I am looking at it!!

Timeline
20 hours ago, HRQX said:

You are currently in the US and eligible to AOS (after getting married). Are there strong reasons compelling you to return to Japan soon? If not, you can marry here and then start AOS process. If such reasons do exist, you can marry here, the US citizen files* I-130 petition to start CR-1 process, and you return to Japan as already planned.

*In filing I-130 for CR-1 process, "The beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the United States, but he or she will apply for an immigrant visa abroad at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in" section would be filled out.

Thank you for your suggestion, HRQX!!

That's so great to know. I am considering the option whether it suits for my situation or not.

Because we're in AZ for her work but her residence is in VA.

And we're going back there just a day before my flight to Japan.

My flight is already booked. Also I have already booked my 2wks self quarantine place there too....

If I change both of them, it'll take some changing fee too....

So hopefully I don't have to change those.

Anyway, I'm checking the information and try our best!!

Thank you again!!

20 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Same-sex spouses of U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), along with their minor children, are now eligible for the same immigration benefits as opposite-sex spouses. Consular officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates will adjudicate their immigrant visa applications upon receipt of an approved I-130 or I-140 petition from USCIS. For further information, please see our FAQ’s.

From <https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-a-spouse-or-fiance-of-a-us-citizen.html>

Thank you for your information, Greenbaum!!

Timeline
20 hours ago, payxibka said:

I want to believe what the information says that same sex marriage is eligible too.

However, being LGBTQ+ is always tough than hetero...

I am from Japan. I can't marry my girlfriend there. That's the reason I wanted to hear some success stories of other LGBTQ+ people.

It's okay. Most of straight people don't understand. 

But even in the US, there are many bullying issues to homosexual people by heterosexual  people.

How can I think there is none by law??

That's all.

Edited by Chee88

Timeline
19 hours ago, jeanieCZ said:

The K-1 makes no difference between same sex and opposite sex couples. Me (female) and my now wife had no problems whatsoever :) 

It would be helpful if you fill in your timeline so ppl here can give you better tailored advice. 

Good luck!

Thank you, jeanieCZ !!

I'm so glad to hear your success experience!!

It encourages me a lot!!

I will do as soon as I figure out. I'm still figuring out the system here too.

Thank you again!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Totally understandable that you feel this way because same-sex marriage is not possible in Japan, it's one of the few industrialized countries in the world that does not recognize same-sex marriages, so the society there still has a long way to go and you are feeling this discrimination, it comes through in your post and questions.  For US immigration, there is no difference in documents required, evidence, etc. for a same-sex couple as a hetero couple, whether you file a K-1 or get married in the US now and then file a CR-1 or you stay and do adjustment of status, it's all the same.  There's still lots of discrimination here in the US depending on where you live, it's slowly improving everywhere, but US immigration clearly states that they do not treat same-sex applications differently.  So rest easy and carefully read the I-129F instructions, work on this with your girlfriend, keep doing research, and make a decision together which path you want to follow.  She files the petition on your behalf anyway so she needs to be more involved in the process.  Good luck!

Thank you so much for your understanding and your kind reply, carmel34 !!

After I read your message, I felt warm in my heart. 

What you said about my country is totally true. Some LGBTQ+ people is suing against Japanese government to make same-sex marriage law right now but it'll take time. It can take a decade or more... And I don't wanna wait for it.

I'm so glad to hear that the US immigrant system don't judge by hetero or ** couple. That's really great.

Yes, I am considering about the option of CR-1. I don't know we can do that or not as we're away (in AZ) from her residence area (in VA) for her work and we'll go back there just a day before my flight to Japan...

And thank you for your advice about involving her in the process.

She doesn't like and really bad at it but she does try her best to work together too. She just doesn't do it by herself... She needs my push 😜

Sometimes, I need her help to understand complicated English written of petition...

Sorry for my long reply.

Thank you so much again for your kind reply. It meant a lot to me.

Timeline
1 hour ago, werdna said:

Likely because we face additional scrutiny and discrimination with everything in our lives.  It's getting better but it's still a huge problem in many places.

I recommend being extra careful you have everything done perfectly and hopefully things will be just fine.  My I-129F was approved very quickly.  Of course now it's stuck at the NVC but that's happening to everyone.

Thank you for your reply, werdna !!

That's exactly I meant!!!

I'm so glad to hear that yours approved quickly.

I do be very careful for filing process.

Thank you again!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.