Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Surely the problem is payment-per-butt-in-the-seat, not weight. The reason the airline wants to make the fat person buy two seats is not due to the extra weight, but that they lose the ability to sell the seat next to the person and hence would have to run the flight 'empty.'

Why do they lose the ability to sell the seat next to the person? When I buy a ticket and select my seat it doesn't tell me if the person next to me is fat or not so I don't exactly have the option of saying, oh no.....I don't wanna buy that seat.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Surely the problem is payment-per-butt-in-the-seat, not weight. The reason the airline wants to make the fat person buy two seats is not due to the extra weight, but that they lose the ability to sell the seat next to the person and hence would have to run the flight 'empty.'

Why do they lose the ability to sell the seat next to the person? When I buy a ticket and select my seat it doesn't tell me if the person next to me is fat or not so I don't exactly have the option of saying, oh no.....I don't wanna buy that seat.

Granted, the seat will be sold since a potential passenger will not know ahead of time that they will have a large seatmate. But if the fat person is taking up part of a seat that someone else paid for, then the airline will likely have an irrate passenger on their hands. Personally, I do not want to be in intimate contact with a stranger throughout my flight. The only person I want pressed against me is Lai :blush:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

You do have the option of making a fuss and being refunded part or all of your money. If that happens enough, anyone who doesn't fit in the seat is basically costing the airline money.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline
If weight limits are imposed, I see no reason for them to be sex specific.

It used to be the case that men were bigger and stronger (and therefore heavier) than women.

Is the stereotype no longer true?

Has nowt to do with the stereotype.

If the argument is for 'fuel consumption' then I can't put it any better than G Dawg...

Moving 1 lb of female over 1 mile has the same energy cost as moving 1 lb of male over 1 mile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes the fuel consumption issue is really secondary and not really the point of the thread. Airlines haven't yet made an issue of it.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yes the fuel consumption issue is really secondary and not really the point of the thread. Airlines haven't yet made an issue of it.

But it does factor into the cost of a plane ticket - in much the same way that removing or enlarging seats would also raise ticket prices.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Filed: Timeline

you people gotta be kidding. :wacko: you're sitting here justifying bashing over weight people with the front of it's costing the airlines money. no i'm not a "fat, sweaty, hanging over into your seat & all the other hateful #######"person you're insulting. & all of you doing it are pathetic. if it bothers you that much find a small person, find out where they are sitting & go to the ticket counter to get your seat changed. and concentrate your hate on other elitist moroons.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
you people gotta be kidding. :wacko: you're sitting here justifying bashing over weight people with the front of it's costing the airlines money. no i'm not a "fat, sweaty, hanging over into your seat & all the other hateful #######"person you're insulting. & all of you doing it are pathetic. if it bothers you that much find a small person, find out where they are sitting & go to the ticket counter to get your seat changed. and concentrate your hate on other elitist moroons.

I don't feel like there is bashing going on, but I do feel like people are being kind of callous. Talking about weighing people is ridiculous and would give your average woman a panic attack.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't feel like there is bashing going on, but I do feel like people are being kind of callous. Talking about weighing people is ridiculous and would give your average woman a panic attack.

That's true - LOL

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

If we're going to charge "fat & lazy" people more money, I propose some other charges as well:

Women who wear perfume on an airplane: since flogging is illegal, charge them an additional $5000.

People with screaming spawn: $10,000 per spawn

People who snore loudly (guilty): $5000

People who talk too damn much and too damn loud: $10,000

People who complain about "fat" people intruding upon their seat space: $15,000

People who accuse large people of being "fat and lazy": $50,000

But then, what do I know? I'm fat and lazy. My house has apparently remodeled itself while I eat doughnuts and/or sleep.

:lol: HAHAHAHA!!! That was funny... (thank God I have a sense of humor..not all have).. I know you were joking (i hope).. but also trying to bring up a point.. and I got it.

Ive been veiwing more vj suggestions.. I have to raise my hand to increasing seat size (like on RJ)and leg space by maybe 3 inches more.. because I know on some airlines.. their not all the same in seat size and configuration.. seriously. .. Oh Oh Oh.. was it just me.. or did anyone who has flown RJ.. (maybe not all RJ planes are the same) experience having to create or learn the art of eating (with elbows tucked in..no matter who your sittin next to)from their trays with a 100 containers and wrapprs (exaggerated) and be able to eat successfully without dropping anything? I actually did pretty good.. but would have enjoyed it better if I could relax my arms a little more. Haha.. had to laugh and joke about it with my flight neighbor. Anywaaaay.. this has been an interesting topic.. guess just something to talk about to pass the time as we await being reunited with the one we love.. Now back to daily life and checking my mailbox, case online and seeking answrs to things Im not sure of in this visa journey.. Alhumdulilah!!! :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Excuse me? It's elitist and hateful to expect to be able to use the entirety of a seat I've paid full price for? :blink:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Excuse me? It's elitist and hateful to expect to be able to use the entirety of a seat I've paid full price for? :blink:

Also that making significant concessions for very large people would end up costing me money.

In a way this argument reminds me of the negative reaction from smokers to smoking bans in pubs and clubs - as though people offended by their filthy habit should just stay home, rather than for the smokers to concede that what they are doing actually impacts other people in a negative way.

Edited by erekose