Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Weighing by the pound doesn't necessarily work either. I have a friend who is quite tall and weighs well over 300+lbs, but he isn't wide by any means, just tall and muscular. As long as he fits in the seat, he shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

Why shouldn't he pay extra for it, if the airline is using extra fuel to transport him?

As erekose pointed out, it's a practical issue of the fuel cost vs weight (passengers + luggage).

He isn't using "extra" fuel. Just as a 25 lb. child doesn't get a fuel discount. It's based on averages, and he's above it. Many seats are occupied by those below it.

He is using extra fuel and a 25lb child does get a discount -- most airlines offer special children's fares.

Children under the age of 2 are allowed to travel free of charge.

Nope, not always true. My SIL is coming over in Aug with her 6 month old baby, she was charged 55 quid for the baby, even tho it will be sitting on her lap.

And anyway the point was that a 90-pound 28-year-old woman is not getting a discount either.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
And anyway the point was that a 90-pound 28-year-old woman is not getting a discount either.

Alex - at the moment, a 300lb guy is also paying the same fare as everyone else.

If airlines start charging people by weight, a 90lb woman will get a discount - that's the point.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Alex - at the moment, a 300lb guy is also paying the same fare as everyone else.

If airlines start charging people by weight, a 90lb woman will get a discount - that's the point.

I think the current system of averages seems to be working. As the average body size increases, prices will increase I suppose. And it's not all on the overweight. Thin people aren't as thin as they used to be either. Deal with the tragic unfairness.

Timeline
I think the current system of averages seems to be working. As the average body size increases, prices will increase I suppose. And it's not all on the overweight. Thin people aren't as thin as they used to be either. Deal with the tragic unfairness.

I agree - I'd just prefer explicit weight limits instead of the "averages".

Say, 250lb for men and 200lb for women (including luggage.)

Anyone above the limit would have to pay extra.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

No airline would be stupid enough to take people's dignity like that and expect to stay in business.

Surely the problem is payment-per-butt-in-the-seat, not weight. The reason the airline wants to make the fat person buy two seats is not due to the extra weight, but that they lose the ability to sell the seat next to the person and hence would have to run the flight 'empty.'

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

200lb including luggage. Interesting. I just booked a flight from PWM to JFK on JetBlue - a low cost provider, no less. Even they allow me two items of carry-on plus two hold items of 50lb a piece. Now for your plan to be feasible, assuming I was fully "luggaged-up", I'd have to weigh about 80lb. Granted I'm only 5'2, but even so....

Let's be a little reasonable here!

(Edit for typos)

Edited by ChristinaM

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Timeline
200lb including luggage. Interesting. I just booked a flight from PWM to JFK on JetBlue - a low cost provider, no less. Even they allow me two items of carry-on plus two hold items of 50lb a piece. Now for your plan to be feasible, assuming I was fully "luggaged-up", I'd have to weigh about 80lb. Granted I'm only 5'2, but even so....

Let's be a little reasonable here!

(Edit for typos)

Ok - let's be reasonable.

300lb for women, 350lb for men -- luggage included.

What do you think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'd be OK if I had only hold luggage. And I'm not even particularly large, even if I am about 70lb overweight. :P

I think it's very difficult, because one can't fairly just tack it onto a weight. I have a friend who is a similar weight to me, but she carries it differently. She is short with a small waist, but she has broad hips - to the point where she is often required to purchase more than one plane seat.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i guess extra tall people should pay more to when they are taking up my leg room which is already cramped to start with and im freaking one 5 foot tall.

anyway.. no they should not be charged for 2 seats. ive flown when i was 130 pounds and ive flown when i was 200 lbs. both of them were miserable. i feel like a can of sardens either way.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Weighing by the pound doesn't necessarily work either. I have a friend who is quite tall and weighs well over 300+lbs, but he isn't wide by any means, just tall and muscular. As long as he fits in the seat, he shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

Why shouldn't he pay extra for it, if the airline is using extra fuel to transport him?

As erekose pointed out, it's a practical issue of the fuel cost vs weight (passengers + luggage).

So, I point out again a woman lighter than me with a different body build who is 'wider'. If she takes up two seats and I take up one, yet she weighs less than me, then I should still pay more? I don't know, it just doesn't totally make sense to me.

Its not really that complicated - space is a $ premium on an aircraft, and so is weight.

Timeline
If weight limits are imposed, I see no reason for them to be sex specific.

It used to be the case that men were bigger and stronger (and therefore heavier) than women.

Is the stereotype no longer true?