Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I think theoretically yes, but it would be difficult to enforce practically.

Here's how:

Maybe if airlines charged by the pound we wouldn't have such a HUGE obesity problem in the US!

It does cost airlines in fuel for every pound they raise off the ground!

Might actually reduce the costs to some extent for the rest of us. IMO there should be a base charge for the seat and anything over an optimum weight should be charged by the lb. Of course as Alex pointed that doesn’t do much of anything to address people of normal weight who are broad-hipped/shouldered.

I think theoretically yes, but it would be difficult to enforce practically.

Here's how:

Maybe if airlines charged by the pound we wouldn't have such a HUGE obesity problem in the US!

It does cost airlines in fuel for every pound they raise off the ground!

Like pets. People over 250 pounds will have to travel in the cargo hold in airline-approved crates.

I wouldn't go that far - but I do wonder to what extent we should pander to a person's sensitivities rather than address the practical issue of the cost:fuel:weight ratio... It is essentially a practical issue.

That's true. But the weight issue is still different from the space issue. If they started weighing people there would be an outraged American public. They will just keep restricting luggage, I think, which is too bad. I do think you have to treat customers with respect and people already feel enough like cattle when flying anyway. I think if companies thought they could make more money by ignoring people's personal sensitivities, they would be doing it.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
That's true. But the weight issue is still different from the space issue. If they started weighing people there would be an outraged American public. They will just keep restricting luggage, I think, which is too bad. I do think you have to treat customers with respect and people already feel enough like cattle when flying anyway. I think if companies thought they could make more money by ignoring people's personal sensitivities, they would be doing it.

Generally I think there is a general correlation between a person's size and their weight, though admittedly airline seats - like those in movie theatres are one-size-fits-all.

Southwest's solution doesn't sound bad. If you can't get the armrest down, you pay for a second seat unless the flight isn't full. If it's not full, they're not losing money. But the only problem with that it's the sort of thing sprung on the heavyset person at the last minute.

Plus, is anyone comfortable in a coach seat? I don't see how anyone who isn't shorter than 5'8'' and less than 150 lbs. fits.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline
Southwest's solution doesn't sound bad. If you can't get the armrest down, you pay for a second seat unless the flight isn't full. If it's not full, they're not losing money. But the only problem with that it's the sort of thing sprung on the heavyset person at the last minute.

Plus, is anyone comfortable in a coach seat? I don't see how anyone who isn't shorter than 5'8'' and less than 150 lbs. fits.

They're hardly luxurious at the best of times...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
I have noticed however that US travellers (especially the middle-age ones) tend to be larger in general than equivalent Europeans.

Or equivalent Asians, for that matter.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

For those of you who voted "NO" would you also approve of two extra-small passengers (i.e. my wife and I) paying for only ONE ticket for the both of them if they both fit in one seat?

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Curious as if they would have to pay more for this:

Canada unveils heavyweight ambulance

Jun 25 01:15 PM US/Eastern

Healthcare officials in Calgary have unveiled a new ambulance designed for treating and transporting obese patients in an emergency, believed to be the first of its kind in this country.

The rest here:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=07...;show_article=1

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline
For those of you who voted "NO" would you also approve of two extra-small passengers (i.e. my wife and I) paying for only ONE ticket for the both of them if they both fit in one seat?

To be honest... I'd be surprised to see two normal sized human beings who can fit in one airline seat. Even two little kids would have a tight fit. And I think this wouldn't be allowed simply for safety reasons. One seat = one set of safety/lifesaving equipment, which means in the case of an accident, only one of the two people would have a life-vest, breathing apparatus, etc.

Being somewhat large myself, it isn't as if we are trying to inconvience others when we travel. I do my best to stay out of other people's way and I don't take up more than one seat. I don't want someone taking one look at me and judging that I'm too 'large' and therefore must by a second seat when I don't need one and fit just fine in the existing seats.

Weighing by the pound doesn't necessarily work either. I have a friend who is quite tall and weighs well over 300+lbs, but he isn't wide by any means, just tall and muscular. As long as he fits in the seat, he shouldn't have to pay extra for it. However, I've seen short women who have hips that look like hoola-hoops. They probably weigh less than I do, but their 'build' makes it more difficult to fit into those sorts of seats. I've even seen non-obese people who just have the 'pear' bodytype and happen to be wider in the bottom have trouble that has nothing to do with being fat.

Perhaps there isn't an easy answer to this, but I don't think people should have be forced, at the airport, after making their plans and possibly spending quite a bit of money, to pay an additional fee for a seat that they were not expecting. It could ruin a person's entire vacation and it simply isn't a feasible idea

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Weighing by the pound doesn't necessarily work either. I have a friend who is quite tall and weighs well over 300+lbs, but he isn't wide by any means, just tall and muscular. As long as he fits in the seat, he shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

Why shouldn't he pay extra for it, if the airline is using extra fuel to transport him?

As erekose pointed out, it's a practical issue of the fuel cost vs weight (passengers + luggage).

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
Weighing by the pound doesn't necessarily work either. I have a friend who is quite tall and weighs well over 300+lbs, but he isn't wide by any means, just tall and muscular. As long as he fits in the seat, he shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

Why shouldn't he pay extra for it, if the airline is using extra fuel to transport him?

As erekose pointed out, it's a practical issue of the fuel cost vs weight (passengers + luggage).

Wait until airlines start doing 'edge of atmosphere' flights... ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

He isn't using "extra" fuel. Just as a 25 lb. child doesn't get a fuel discount. It's based on averages, and he's above it. Many seats are occupied by those below it.

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

So, I point out again a woman lighter than me with a different body build who is 'wider'. If she takes up two seats and I take up one, yet she weighs less than me, then I should still pay more? I don't know, it just doesn't totally make sense to me.

Anyways, I'm going to bow out of this discussion.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Timeline

He isn't using "extra" fuel. Just as a 25 lb. child doesn't get a fuel discount. It's based on averages, and he's above it. Many seats are occupied by those below it.

He is using extra fuel and a 25lb child does get a discount -- most airlines offer special children's fares.

Children under the age of 2 are allowed to travel free of charge.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

He is using extra fuel and a 25lb child does get a discount -- most airlines offer special children's fares.

Children under the age of 2 are allowed to travel free of charge.

Nope, not always true. My SIL is coming over in Aug with her 6 month old baby, she was charged 55 quid for the baby, even tho it will be sitting on her lap.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline
Nope, not always true. My SIL is coming over in Aug with her 6 month old baby, she was charged 55 quid for the baby, even tho it will be sitting on her lap.

I know it's true for American, Continental and United..... still, 55 quid is a big discount.