Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If we're going to charge "fat & lazy" people more money, I propose some other charges as well:

Women who wear perfume on an airplane: since flogging is illegal, charge them an additional $5000.

People with screaming spawn: $10,000 per spawn

People who snore loudly (guilty): $5000

People who talk too damn much and too damn loud: $10,000

People who complain about "fat" people intruding upon their seat space: $15,000

People who accuse large people of being "fat and lazy": $50,000

:lol:

But then, what do I know? I'm fat and lazy. My house has apparently remodeled itself while I eat doughnuts and/or sleep.

:lol: :lol:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

1. I agree, Jenn. I'm against penalizing people for size, but the current system is not fair to other passengers. Either large people will need to pay for 2 plane seats or airlines need a program that bumps someone up to a higher class so the large person can have an empty seat next to them or airlines need to make a row of bigger seats in coach (which they say is way too expensive) or large people on overbooked flights need to wait for another flight. But I really don't see allowing people to sit in seats that they're falling out of to be an option, especially because of what Jenn said. My ####### has gotten larger and I now pretty much need the whole plane seat. If somebody sits next to me who needs part of my plane seat too, we're going to have a problem.

2. I don't think the "where do you draw the line?" argument really works. The line is easy to draw. Can you put the armrest down? Is part of your body in a seat that someone else bought? Then you are using more than you paid for.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
1. I agree, Jenn. I'm against penalizing people for size, but the current system is not fair to other passengers. Either large people will need to pay for 2 plane seats or airlines need a program that bumps someone up to a higher class so the large person can have an empty seat next to them or airlines need to make a row of bigger seats in coach (which they say is way too expensive) or large people on overbooked flights need to wait for another flight. But I really don't see allowing people to sit in seats that they're falling out of to be an option, especially because of what Jenn said. My ####### has gotten larger and I now pretty much need the whole plane seat. If somebody sits next to me who needs part of my plane seat too, we're going to have a problem.

2. I don't think the "where do you draw the line?" argument really works. The line is easy to draw. Can you put the armrest down? Is part of your body in a seat that someone else bought? Then you are using more than you paid for.

:thumbs:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

At the same time it's not the person's fault they're obese, it's not the airline's problem either. But, since the obese population is increasing, maybe it is time to adjust the world to it. Everywhere you go there is a special bathroom for people in wheelchair, why can't planes, bus have special seats for obese people?

So my answer is no, I don't think they should have to pay double.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i'd like to see it. the last trip i had to virginia i had a guy next to me who was so large he spent the entire plane trip leaning forward because he was about 8" over on my side. i slept the entire trip with my arms crossed and squished against the window.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
i'd like to see it. the last trip i had to virginia i had a guy next to me who was so large he spent the entire plane trip leaning forward because he was about 8" over on my side. i slept the entire trip with my arms crossed and squished against the window.

That sucks. Did he have the arm rest down?

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

From the point of view of someone who is considered 'obese'... I don't exactly think it is fair to make a person buy two seats. While I do fall under that category, I can fit in a normal seat without 'spilling over' on to other people's seats. I actually prefer to sit near windows so I can squish over against the window and keep out of other people's ways. However, I think the airlines should have a couple of seats designated for 'wider' people. Just like they have to accomidate the handicapped, it wouldn't hurt to have a few seats that are wider.

In the future, the only real airline travel I plan on doing is with my husband, so I plan on only buying one seat. If I 'spill over' on to him, I'm sure he won't mind.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Timeline

More weight = more fuel. So theoretically, yes..I do believe larger people should pay more. If not, why can't I take twice the luggage allowance because my needs dictate I need to bring more stuff?

The bottom line with airlines is that it IS expensive to fly....and with the consumers the way we are with everyone wanting the lowest possible price...it makes it extremely difficult imo to accomodate everyone. Yes, airline seats are cramped and small. Yes, the seats could be larger for everyone's comfort. But then...are you as a consumer willing to pay 50% more to offset those costs? Probably not. We all want the lowest price AND the best service/experience...and imo, that's just an impossible expectation.

I'm in no way shape or form calling obese people 'lazy'....but I'd hardly compare weight on a whole to the color of someone's skin. And I'm not talking about people who just have a few extra pounds on em...but come on...if there's a 500 lb man...should he be paying the same price for an airline ticket even though he'll span two seats?

But it's a difficult thing to mandate, and I don't know how they'll get around it.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I’m not (at all) overweight, but I am tall and I find economy class seats murder at the best of times – so anyone who is wider than the seat is almost certainly going to have problems; as are the people next to them…

I’d certainly like airlines to increase the amount of cabin space for passengers from what seems at present to be a bare minimum. Taking out a row of seats would go a long way to doing it. Its obvious why they do it of course – they need to get the most capacity out of the aircraft that weight and space will allow, especially considering the cost of fuel these days.

Even so – I’m wondering to what extent airlines can really go to accommodating very large people. I’m not sure there’s a reasonable business precedent for making an accommodation for someone who’s upwards of 300,400 or 500lbs. Its not like a bus or a train here – political correctness aside there is a strict weight limit on commercial aircraft – hence the overage charges for excess baggage, so I’m wondering why those charges are not applied to some of these very large passengers. While it might be discriminatory – there are certain realities here. Plane can’t get off the ground if there’s too much weight…

Seriously no amount of planning is going to accommodate the seriously large passenger - 300 - 400lbs, nor do I understand why a passenger aircraft which has extremely limited space for totally practical reasons should start to inconvenience other passengers by having airlines jack up the flight prices to make up for the shortfall because of those overlarge people. I’d rather they pay the premium, rather than for me to have pay extra just to be ‘fair’.

The wife and I had a similar experience to Charles – although we were behind these people. This family of 3 – dad, wife and son were sitting in the row in front of us (we were unlucky to have the back row where the seats don’t recline) and of course all 3 of them put their chairs all the way back.

Edited by erekose

Timeline
Even so – I’m wondering to what extent airlines can really go to accommodating very large people. I’m not sure there’s a reasonable business precedent for making an accommodation for someone who’s upwards of 300,400 or 500lbs. Its not like a bus or a train here – political correctness aside there is a strict weight limit on commercial aircraft – hence the overage charges for excess baggage, so I’m wondering why those charges are not applied to some of these very large passengers. While it might be discriminatory – there are certain realities here. Plane can’t get off the ground if there’s too much weight…

:P Is it worth humiliating people to stick to a completely practical approach to the problem? I don't know how good the PR would be if any company started up charging people more.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:P Is it worth humiliating people to stick to a completely practical approach to the problem? I don't know how good the PR would be if any company started up charging people more.

That's true - but we're essentially talking about a politically correct 'round the houses' argument to address a fundamentally practical problem. Removing seats to increase space has and will raise ticket prices for all. As those prices are scandalous to begin with - I'm not sure I want to pay extra just so that a 500lb beach ball can pay the same as me; when he/she is the reason for the increase.

I think the PR for 'we're raising our prices to accomodate larger passengers' would be more detrimental on a whole.

Btw, everyone mark this date as the day I agreed with E :P doesn't happen too often, lawlz

Timeline

What about a reduced rate on first class for people who call ahead saying they won't fit and are willing to be subjected to a "seat test" at check in or something (to avoid abuse of the system)? Maybe a back row of first class could be reserved for heavy folks, and it could be no-frills first class (no fancy meals, no fancy movie equipment, just the big seat)?

I'm willing to bet that a large amount of complaints airlines get are from people who are upset that they did not get their entire seat. An airline with a policy that removed that problem would probably do well.

What about a reduced rate on first class for people who call ahead saying they won't fit and are willing to be subjected to a "seat test" at check in or something (to avoid abuse of the system)? Maybe a back row of first class could be reserved for heavy folks, and it could be no-frills first class (no fancy meals, no fancy movie equipment, just the big seat)?

I'm willing to bet that a large amount of complaints airlines get are from people who are upset that they did not get their entire seat. An airline with a policy that removed that problem would probably do well.

Why can't skinny people get a reduced first class tick?