Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Fine. How about we have some extra big seats and people can pay extra for those so that everyone is happy that they aren't paying for something they don't use?

It would be stupid to make it impossible for large people to fly. Airlines would lose a lot of money that way. This would help.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
But that's exactly the same as premium economy - which we already have (costs more than coach, less than Business and 1st Class)

But the seats aren't significantly bigger at this time. Premium economy is not available everywhere either. Either way, the whole point is to make the seats at least 1 and a quarter times the regular coach seat.

Timeline

And one last thought-- I'm pretty sure if airlines were pressed to do something for deaf or blind people or people in wheelchairs, people wouldn't be so quick to say "fine do whatever for them, but don't ask me to absorb the cost. I don't see why I should pay more if I'm not using those things." It would probably be more like, "that's fair. We should be able to accommodate everyone." We do it all the time, with our tax dollars, etc. It's a little like saying, "I want a lower priced movie ticket because I don't feel it's right I had to absorb the cost of the theater making itself wheelchair-accessible. Either that or make those people pay more."

Filed: Timeline
And one last thought-- I'm pretty sure if airlines were pressed to do something for deaf or blind people or people in wheelchairs, people wouldn't be so quick to say "fine do whatever for them, but don't ask me to absorb the cost. I don't see why I should pay more if I'm not using those things." It would probably be more like, "that's fair. We should be able to accommodate everyone." We do it all the time, with our tax dollars, etc. It's a little like saying, "I want a lower priced movie ticket because I don't feel it's right I had to absorb the cost of the theater making itself wheelchair-accessible. Either that or make those people pay more."

apples to oranges.

Being blind/deaf/disabled is not a choice.

There are wheelchairs to fit in the airplane aisles.

Timeline
I thought we already went over the fact that some people are not overweight by choice :blink:

That's exactly the problem I see here. It really isn't always apples to oranges. Being overweight is not always a choice. And having a large body frame is certainly not a choice. People are not willing to accommodate large people because they blame them for their size. Sometimes it is a choice, but even people who have not eaten well and don't exercise don't say "I choose to be fat" the way they might choose to be a smoker one day. Sometimes it's people in a wheelchair's "fault" too. Maybe they rode a motorcycle without a helmet. Maybe someone shot off fireworks at close range and now they've been blinded. But we don't usually blame them for their disability, do we?

The problem that I see there is, where do we draw the line in blaming people for their physical attributes?

I thought we already went over the fact that some people are not overweight by choice :blink:

That's exactly the problem I see here. It really isn't always apples to oranges. Being overweight is not always a choice. And having a large body frame is certainly not a choice. People are not willing to accommodate large people because they blame them for their size. Sometimes it is a choice, but even people who have not eaten well and don't exercise don't say "I choose to be fat" the way they might choose to be a smoker one day. Sometimes it's people in a wheelchair's "fault" too. Maybe they rode a motorcycle without a helmet. Maybe someone shot off fireworks at close range and now they've been blinded. But we don't usually blame them for their disability, do we?

The problem that I see there is, where do we draw the line in blaming people for their physical attributes?

Because we (as a nation/world) weren't as fat 10 years ago, or 20, 30, 40 years ago, etc. It is a choice. For 95% of the population.

Not wearing a helmet & getting paralyzed becasue of that is NO WAY the same as being fat.

Edited by devilette

Timeline

Because we (as a nation/world) weren't as fat 10 years ago, or 20, 30, 40 years ago, etc. It is a choice. For 95% of the population.

Not wearing a helmet & getting paralyzed becasue of that is NO WAY the same as being fat.

It's a bad choice that leads to a horrible life-changing handicap. But I would never say "it's your fault you're like this," because that happens. So does getting fat. Do you think Americans are fatter today because they're more interested in making the choice to be fat? Because otherwise it seems to be a systemic problem.

It's a bad choice that leads to a horrible life-changing handicap. But I would never say "it's your fault you're like this," because that happens. So does getting fat. Do you think Americans are fatter today because they're more interested in making the choice to be fat? Because otherwise it seems to be a systemic problem.

I do. Laziness/super sized foods are rampant in America (the world too on a lesser scale).

I would say it's their fault, sure. As well as being fat is (mostly) someone's fault.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Such a true comment. I ccan't think of anyone who "wants" to be fat or overly large. Sometimes it's genetics. Even at the lowest weight I have ever been, 155 pounds, I still wore a size 18. My bones are larger than some peoples whole body. Size 11 shoe, size 9 ring finger. Now I weigh 250, but I don't appear to be that overweight as I am solid. I don't jiggle or bounce. Which is not to say that every overweight person does. The normal way of dieting to lose weight does not work for me, so that leaves bariatrics, which are not an option for me as I am diabetic and puts me at a greater mortality rate. I may be dieing to lose weight, but I don't want to die because of it. I agree that there should be a "luxury" seat difference made for larger sized people. I know I would pay a small extra fee if neccesary, for the extra leg room and such. I don't think any of us heavy people want to be consdered a burden or interuption to someone else's privacy or comfort.

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

As far as the weight regulations on airlines, I don't understand them at all. If they have a weight limit as to what they can legally carry, then how is it that I can "pay" to take over my luggage weight limit? Does that mean they kick someone off the plane, or do they just conveniently "lose" another passengers luggage? lol

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
As far as the weight regulations on airlines, I don't understand them at all. If they have a weight limit as to what they can legally carry, then how is it that I can "pay" to take over my luggage weight limit? Does that mean they kick someone off the plane, or do they just conveniently "lose" another passengers luggage? lol

You can only take so much over the limit -- there's a hard limit you cannot exceed, even if you're willing to pay for it.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg