Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not a big person by anyones count and I voted no. I think the option to buy the ajoining seat is very much up to the individual, if I don't want to chance having a travel companion large enough to spill over onto me/my seat it should be up to me to purchase the other seat.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'm not a big person by anyones count and I voted no. I think the option to buy the ajoining seat is very much up to the individual, if I don't want to chance having a travel companion large enough to spill over onto me/my seat it should be up to me to purchase the other seat.

But that would imply that its the responsibility of the inconvenienced, rather than the inconveniencer to be financially penalised for the inconvenience.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

But that would imply that its the responsibility of the inconvenienced, rather than the inconveniencer to be financially penalised for the inconvenience.

Yes. The reasoning behind the larger passenger paying for the adjoining seat is that they are taking part of that seat, which is not fair to a passenger who has purchased that seat, so is not getting what they paid for. Why should I have to pay for a seat I'm not using, in order to avoid not getting all of the seat I am using?

Edited by Scott & Lai

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

In my honest opinion it seems that there is a deeper issue on your mind other than an "obese" person spilling over into your seat. Because we are overweight, we should buy the other seat? I go along with the other idea. You don't want to take the chance that a "fatty" will be your seat mate? Then YOU buy the other seat, and there won't be any worries for you!

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Timeline
In my honest opinion it seems that there is a deeper issue on your mind other than an "obese" person spilling over into your seat. Because we are overweight, we should buy the other seat? I go along with the other idea. You don't want to take the chance that a "fatty" will be your seat mate? Then YOU buy the other seat, and there won't be any worries for you!

I agree with Scot. I just don't see that it’s my responsibility to pay for the fact that another passenger can't fit into their assigned seat without impinging on the seat that I've already paid for. No "deeper issue" – you may not have noticed but to my knowledge few if any of my comments in this thread amount to a ‘value judgement’ on why a person looks or behaves the way they do. That isn’t the point at all – it’s that in some instances a person’s “situation” (whatever that may be) impacts negatively on the people around them.

That argument BTW – applies to other areas of life; and while we might make concessions in some instances for the sake of politeness (as some are doing in this thread); when you’re in a situation where there is literally no escape from it (like mass transit) I don’t think the same rules apply. Nor do I think that those people who are being courteous about this issue would necessarily be that way in that situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe so, maybe no.

For me it is a matter of choice, the inconvenienced can either pre-empt or live with Murphy’s law. Is it not each persons responsibility for their own welfare/wellbeing? Why should a larger passenger be responsible for my comfort. It is the responsibility of the inconvenienced to be financially penalized if they take action to not be inconvenienced, as it would be for the other to be financially penalized for not inconveniencing others.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Timeline
Maybe so, maybe no.

For me it is a matter of choice, the inconvenienced can either pre-empt or live with Murphy’s law. Is it not each persons responsibility for their own welfare/wellbeing? Why should a larger passenger be responsible for my comfort. It is the responsibility of the inconvenienced to be financially penalized if they take action to not be inconvenienced, as it would be for the other to be financially penalized for not inconveniencing others.

As I said - people turn into complete b*stards on planes - and I don't doubt that your reasoning here would essentially be what it came down to - as it has in the past (hence I mentioned that experience about the guy with his seat back in my lap). But it would be the flight staff who would make the ultimate determination - there are health and safety issues associated with a passenger not being able to sit in their seat.

To go back to smoking - the law in several states requires smokers to go outside to indulge their habit, rather than impact the air quality people around them. It doesn't require the people who don't smoke to go outside for fresh air. The emphasis in law is usally on the person causing the disruption to others - not those being disrupted.

Edited by erekose

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
To go back to smoking - the law in several states requires smokers to go outside to indulge their habit, rather than impact the air quality people around them. It doesn't require the people who don't smoke to go outside for fresh air. The emphasis in law is usally on the person causing the disruption to others - not those being disrupted.

The law also emphasizes protecting minorities from discrimination. Not fitting in a plane seat really isn't a choice, where smoking is. And that's where I think your prejudice comes in to almost every post you make here.

After posting this, I remembered the time I flew Iceland Air in November. I am 5'5" and was about 148 pounds. A woman that size should be able to fit in a plane seat, and I don't think anyone could have accused me of being obese, although carrying around 10-15 extra pounds for my frame, yes. Yet, I could barely wedge myself into my plane seat. I had to sit in the aisle and cross my legs. I have very wide hips compared to my waist and carry a lot of my weight in my bottom half. It's not my fault; it's just the way the good lord made me. I didn't have some horrible twinkie habit that made it so I couldn't fit in the seat. I'm not a lazy person. But you're telling me my body shape is the same as being a smoker?

eta: I still don't think people should be forced to sit next to someone spilling into their seat. But I believe the responsibility in part lies in the airlines' hands.

Edited by Alex+R

Timeline

The law also emphasizes protecting minorities from discrimination. Not fitting in a plane seat really isn't a choice, where smoking is. And that's where I think your prejudice comes in to almost every post you make here.

After posting this, I remembered the time I flew Iceland Air in November. I am 5'5" and was about 148 pounds. A woman that size should be able to fit in a plane seat, and I don't think anyone could have accused me of being obese, although carrying around 10-15 extra pounds for my frame, yes. Yet, I could barely wedge myself into my plane seat. I had to sit in the aisle and cross my legs. I have very wide hips compared to my waist and carry a lot of my weight in my bottom half. It's not my fault; it's just the way the good lord made me. I didn't have some horrible twinkie habit that made it so I couldn't fit in the seat. I'm not a lazy person. But you're telling me my body shape is the same as being a smoker?

eta: I still don't think people should be forced to sit next to someone spilling into their seat. But I believe the responsibility in part lies in the airlines' hands.

No I'm not- I'm addressing the argument (via another example) that it should somehow be on me to pay to not be inconvenienced. As I said to the other poster I made no comments on pertaining to 'why' a person looks the way they do - so I don't see where you're inferring that from.

And yes - the airlines have some responsibility to ensure that an 'average' person can fit into those seats, which are by necessity, one-size-fits-all. But they can only do so much - and while ideally the economy seats should ideally be a little roomier I cannot see a justification for them to go out of their way to accommodate a few extreme people.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Maybe so, maybe no.

As I said - people turn into complete b*stards on planes - and I don't doubt that your reasoning here would essentially be what it came down to - as it has in the past (hence I mentioned that experience about the guy with his seat back in my lap). But it would be the flight staff who would make the ultimate determination - there are health and safety issues associated with a passenger not being able to sit in their seat.

I just don't get the attitude of a person who says, "It's not my problem if I'm inconveniencing you. If you don't like it, that's your problem; sucks to be you."

As far as any "deeper issues" go, I've stated exactly where I find the problems to be; it has nothing to do with "prejudice" against "fatties". It is a simple matter of getting what I paid for, and not having to share it with someone who did not pay for it. If I am eating at McD's, and someone squishes part of my hamburger, is that my problem or that of the one who squished it? Should I have to buy two hamburgers to allow for the possibility that someone may squish one and deprive me of the full value of what I payed for?

The other problem is being forced to be in unwelcomed physical contact with a stranger throughout the flight, regardless of how much that person weighs.

Btw, I have to say that I find the fact that erekose and I are in agreement to be a bit disturbing :P

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Timeline

No I'm not- I'm addressing the argument (via another example) that it should somehow be on me to pay to not be inconvenienced. As I said to the other poster I made no comments on pertaining to 'why' a person looks the way they do - so I don't see where you're inferring that from.

And yes - the airlines have some responsibility to ensure that an 'average' person can fit into those seats, which are by necessity, one-size-fits-all. But they can only do so much - and while ideally the economy seats should ideally be a little roomier I cannot see a justification for them to go out of their way to accommodate a few extreme people.

I can agree with that last sentence. However I think the only way one can form an opinion on the issue is by placing blame on someone. Who created the problem? They should be responsible. If you ate your way to 280 lbs., it's your fault then. Or: if you make airline seats smaller than the average American, that's your fault. To me, asking someone to buy 2 plane seats constitutes a little bit of discrimination because it automatically blames them--and subsequently punishes them--for their body size.

Timeline

I can agree with that last sentence. However I think the only way one can form an opinion on the issue is by placing blame on someone. Who created the problem? They should be responsible. If you ate your way to 280 lbs., it's your fault then. Or: if you make airline seats smaller than the average American, that's your fault. To me, asking someone to buy 2 plane seats constitutes a little bit of discrimination because it automatically blames them--and subsequently punishes them--for their body size.

I think when you're in or have been in that situation - you do tend to blame the people causing your inconvenience, whatever that may be.

We're also not talking about the 'average' American but the average world traveller.

Timeline
I think when you're in or have been in that situation - you do tend to blame the people causing your inconvenience, whatever that may be.

We're also not talking about the 'average' American but the average world traveller.

I have been squished by a larger person before, and yes, I was mostly a little annoyed that we had to touch, but soon I felt bad for the guy, who was obviously embarrassed about it and apologized. But once we're out of the plane, regardless of how mad they made us in the plane, we can think rationally about it, right?

Aren't most flights Americans take domestic? Most Americans fly, but most also didn't own a passport before the new Canada/Mexico passport rules. Most of us aren't world travelers, but most of us do need to go to a funeral in Tulsa or a job interview in Boston.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What? Your average sized passenger should now have to buy 2 seats if they want to have the expectation of having an entire seat? That's just ludicrous. I can see disagreeing with the idea that the obese passenger should pay more, but come on.

I guess my question is what should my expectation be when I buy an airplane ticket. What exactly should the airline have to guarantee me? A smokefree environment? Yes. Complete silence so I can sleep? No. A full plane seat? I would think so.

Frankly, I don't care who absorbs the extra cost. If the airline does, then it will eventually be passed on to me, but what are you going to do really? Everyone is always paying a little bit more than they should here and a bit less than they should there.

Edited by jenn3539

Timeline

I have been squished by a larger person before, and yes, I was mostly a little annoyed that we had to touch, but soon I felt bad for the guy, who was obviously embarrassed about it and apologized. But once we're out of the plane, regardless of how mad they made us in the plane, we can think rationally about it, right?

Aren't most flights Americans take domestic? Most Americans fly, but most also didn't own a passport before the new Canada/Mexico passport rules. Most of us aren't world travelers, but most of us do need to go to a funeral in Tulsa or a job interview in Boston.

The flights might be domestic but I doubt the planes are.