Cassandra PC

Post K-1 Drivers License?

6 posts in this topic

We had a horrible experience at the California DMV on Friday trying to get a drivers license for my husband. Now that our AOS application is waiting to be processed and he has a SS#, we figured he could finally get a drivers license (which means be able to get insurance for one thing). They were so rude and then sent him away, telling him he is "illegal" because his I-94 expired :angry: . I talked to a supervisor and tried to explain the K-1 situation. He told me that my husband could not get a drivers license until he had a green card but he also can't drive on his foreign license. I know the last part has got to be false.

Why they have to be so mean is a question I don't expect anyone here to answer. But what is the driving situation for AOS applicants? Could he have gotten his license when he arrived on K-1 (with a valid I-94) and we just missed the opportunity? What was the point of getting the SS# in the first place?

Started our visa journey applying for K-1: Oct 11, 2006

Interview at CDJ, K-1 visa granted: Feb 13, 2007

Married: Apr 13 2007

AOS approved: Aug 29, 2007

I-751 Lifting Conditions approved: Aug 8, 2009

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I don't know if this will help you, and certainly there are more knowledgeable people on VJ than I, however, here is what I discovered. I had to renew my license the other day and asked about my fiance, so that we could be prepared when he comes. I was told by my DMV in Seattle that a) he can drive legally with his German license until he gets residency in Washington or B) he could bring his German license, proof of identity (passport, birth cert) and his K1 stamp (or whatever the official name is) and a piece of mail showing his name and our Washington address. That's it. He doesn't need to surrender his German license nor does he have to take the driving or written test. I called another DMV to find out if this was true and was told yes.

Now, we are a high immigrant area, but I would assume that where you live is also? I think he unfortunately got a rude person taking out a bad day on him. :(

I forgot to mention that my SO already has a SSN and had a green card once before as a minor, so that may make a difference, but I doubt it. I didn't tell the clerk at the DMV this at any rate.

Hope this helps and if it doesn't, I know someone else will come along to help you :)

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I'm not sure about the K-1 part.

As far as using his foreign driving license, I think there is a 90 day limit starting from his arrival. Longer if he obtained an 'international driving license' back in his home country (good for about 6 month if I remember).

There are new laws when it comes to driving licenses and in many states now, they only make them good for the time of your visa, so it probably wouldn't have helped you anyway.

Good luck.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: Timeline

Sorry for your experience with that person at the DMV. I came in on a K-1 and was issued a Florida driver's license upon presentation of my AOS I-797 notice of receipt (among other things). I have no idea if every State has different rules but a quick check of the California DMV mentions that document also. Is it possible for you to drop into another office to apply? You may get someone who is not as rude as the person you dealt with.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Every state is different.... you need to check your states DMV website for rules on getting a lincese... Here in MA you need an SSN and an EAD or Greencard to get a License...

Kez

State run, Colorado requires EAD.

No such thing as an International Drivers License.

As far as using your own license or if needed your license with an IDP, that also vares by State. CO legislations vague. They had the Chief of Denever Police on the radio, he said that as they can not tell when someone became resident thay can not tell when the time limit ran out.

He also quoted 60 days, whatever the time limit is, its not 60 days! So the Police have no clue anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.