Marieke H

Wireless communication with Green Card?

24 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Fr8dog said:

Any and all personal ID's should therefor always be carried shielded. Some people suggest throwing them in the microwave to blow the chip, but that is considered defacing / altering the document and is illegal.

Thank you for this information! I think I will not try to microwave my Green Card. I quite like it the way it is!

13 hours ago, pablo2752 said:

Someone told me in the past that it can be used to steal personal information. I don't know how exactly, but I reckon that it's similar to how some good for nothing criminals copy the car key signal and steals cars. 

Think about it this way. If they make a copy of the info your card transmits, and use it to make a copy of your card with it, they can use it like it is your card. Most people will just scan the card instead of closely inspecting the photo and other info on the card. Machine says it's ok, it must be ok.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 9/19/2020 at 12:42 AM, Marieke H said:

I received my 10 year Green Card last week (yay!), and it came with the little paper envelope that always come with cards from USCIS. But this time was the first time I actually paid attention to what was written on the little envelope. It says: "We recommend use of this envelope to protect your new card and to prevent wireless communication with it."

I'm intrigued. How does this work? Who or what would want to wirelessly communicate with my Green Card? And how? And why? What information would my card wirelessly communicate to whoever is communicating with it? Also, how exactly does a little paper envelope prevent all this? I am genuinely curious. Any thoughts/ideas?

Haha, I thought the same when my combocard came with this paper envelope... Must be some type of FBI-grade security lvl 6 paper then 😂

Ah well, that fraud seems to be easier than one would think. I read here on the forum that ppl let hot dog vendors take a photo of their ID 🤔

Edited by jeanieCZ

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

21 minutes ago, jeanieCZ said:

Haha, I thought the same when my combocard came with this paper envelope... Must be some type of FBI-grade security lvl 6 paper then 😂

And they put the Ready Lane info graphic with the EAD/AP combo card, which isn't a Ready Lane-eligible card:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/ready-lanes

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1211?language=en_US

AP travelers should expect visit to secondary inspection at entry.

Timeline
16 hours ago, HRQX said:

And they put the Ready Lane info graphic with the EAD/AP combo card, which isn't a Ready Lane-eligible card:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/ready-lanes

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1211?language=en_US

AP travelers should expect visit to secondary inspection at entry.

Do you mean there's a logo/symbol on the combocard indicating it's a RL-eligible card? What does it look like?

And why should AP travelers go to secondary? Is that standard?

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

3 hours ago, jeanieCZ said:

Do you mean there's a logo/symbol on the combocard indicating it's a RL-eligible card? What does it look like?

Not on the card. Did you also get the following info graphic with the combo card?

68884749_1520120331446572_66747258548592

3 hours ago, jeanieCZ said:

And why should AP travelers go to secondary? Is that standard?

It's routine:

Don't worry about it. But if you have a connecting flight after passing CBP, you should add more time for transfer, just in case.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Not on the card. Did you also get the following info graphic with the combo card?

Ah, that. I have got that indeed - I guess I didn't think about it and the "ready lane" thingie didn't mean anything to me :p 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.