Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats @DGF

I went back this morning for my PC and the commissionnaires were still insisting that what I got is the right one. But the lady did send it off again requesting it under the privacy act so hopefully I get it soon. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, annierob said:

Has this ever happened to anyone? Our case is DQ’ed at the NVC. This morning, USCIS decided to reopen our case and ask for further evidence. How is it that our case went backwards?! 

What did they ask for? 

Timeline
46 minutes ago, DGF said:

Approved!

Got there at about 8:13 am for an 8:15 am appointment. There was one other person outside. A guard came out and was letting us in one at a time. They ask for your passport and then you put your stuff through an xray and walk through a metal detector just like at an airport but you get to leave your shoes on 😛 I forgot that my watch is an electronic device so I had to lock it up, heads up for people with smartwatches! 

The consulate is on the first floor. The security guard told me to go to window 4 or 5 but both were busy so the guard upstairs told me to take a seat (seats are already spaced out but she wanted me as far away from everyone else as possible haha). There were only 2 other people there. I sat down and a few moments later a lady knocked on window 7 and asked if I had been served and I said I hadn't so she took my passport. When one of the windows became available the guard told me to go to it but the person at the window told me to wait until I was called. Other people that came up when the windows were empty didn't have to wait to be called up. When I was called up (over a loud speaker so you can't miss it) I was asked for my original documents. I was asked for birth certificate, marriage certificate, police certificate, i864, 2019 tax transcript, 2019 W2, one passport photo, medical (I just said mine was sent electronically) and then they took my fingerprints. They did not want photocopies of anything, just the originals. I was not asked for either my IL or appointment confirmation, DS260 confirmation, husband's proof of citizenship, tax information for any prior years, the 5540, or any proof of relationship. He also confirmed my address, my husband's address (they had it slightly wrong because we'd got it wrong on our original i864 but I corrected him and he updated it in the computer, no problem), both of our phone numbers, and our lawyer's name. Then he gave me the domestic violence pamphlet and told me to wait to be called again. I meant to ask if I could switch to having my SSN automatically sent to me but I just realized I completely forgot to ask haha.

Just a note: When I handed over my police certificate the guy took out a post it note and I was worried but all he wrote on it is that it needed to be scanned (he proceeded to do this for any updated documents I had too). I have the police certificate that says "Other (Provide Details)" and this was accepted. 

I went to sit down and read over the pamphlet. It was 8:40 am when I sat down and I think I was called up again around 8:50-8:55 am. By that time there were 8 of us in the waiting room. The guy at the window had me swear an oath and then took my fingerprints again. I was so nervous that most of the interview is already lost in the abyss but from what I remember I was asked my petitioners name, how we were related, if this was both of our first marriages, if we had kids, how we met, how long after we met did my husband go back to the US, when we got married, who was at our wedding, the longest I'd been in the US, what my husband's job is, what his job entails, and what the pamphlet they give you is about. Then he reached over to the board next to him with all the papers and reached for a white one (I was panicking because I know the 221g can be white) and then he said your visa is approved here's your welcome letter! He said I should receive it in 7-10 days and gave my originals back. I went back downstairs and got my watch and was out of the consulate at 9:03 am. 

Will post any more details if they come to me!

Thank you for the detailed review. Heartiest congratulations to you! I know how long you were waiting for this day. SO happy for you! ❤️ 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, MWhite said:

What did they ask for? 

They asked this:

Please clarify the destination of your application (whether or not the beneficiary will adjust status in the United States or consular processing.)

We already filed that paperwork, which got approved, and sent to NVC, where we’re DQ’ed. I’m freaking out now because this is clearly an error, and we cannot get in contact with USCIS (they changed their phone system to only be an automated voice, cannot speak to anyone).

Timeline
Just now, annierob said:

They asked this:

Please clarify the destination of your application (whether or not the beneficiary will adjust status in the United States or consular processing.)

We already filed that paperwork, which got approved, and sent to NVC, where we’re DQ’ed. I’m freaking out now because this is clearly an error, and we cannot get in contact with USCIS (they changed their phone system to only be an automated voice, cannot speak to anyone).

I think you just need to upload a statement that clarifies that you are doing consular processing. 
i think you need to call the NVC if anything. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, annierob said:

Has this ever happened to anyone? Our case is DQ’ed at the NVC. This morning, USCIS decided to reopen our case and ask for further evidence. How is it that our case went backwards?! 

That's odd, especially because you were already DQ'ed! Once the approved petition file is at NVC, USCIS usually doesn't intervene unless NVC specifically sends it back to them. Did the NVC contact you or USCIS? If your case is already DQ'ed at NVC, I think you need to get in touch with NVC and let them know because at this point your petition has already been approved and you're now in line for an interview. I can't believe they keep making these clerical errors!!! 

In my personal experience, our approved petition arrived at NVC March 2019. Upon review or entry into their system, they realized something was missing and sent it back to USCIS. USCIS took 6 months to review/correct a clerical error then sent it back to NVC in Sept 2019. I was living in a high level of anxiety and worry when this happened because neither department communicated with me as to why our case was sent back. I was later told that this was due to the USCIS officer forgetting one signature. 😖 

I really hope your entire case isn't sent back to USCIS. Please contact NVC immediately so you can speak directly to a representative. Fingers crossed they don't tell you it's out of our hands and to go talk to USCIS (that's what happened in our case since the two departments BARELY talk to each other). Keep us posted!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

That's odd, especially because you were already DQ'ed! Once the approved petition file is at NVC, USCIS usually doesn't intervene unless NVC specifically sends it back to them. Did the NVC contact you or USCIS? If your case is already DQ'ed at NVC, I think you need to get in touch with NVC and let them know because at this point your petition has already been approved and you're now in line for an interview. I can't believe they keep making these clerical errors!!! 

In my personal experience, our approved petition arrived at NVC March 2019. Upon review or entry into their system, they realized something was missing and sent it back to USCIS. USCIS took 6 months to review/correct a clerical error then sent it back to NVC in Sept 2019. I was living in a high level of anxiety and worry when this happened because neither department communicated with me as to why our case was sent back. I was later told that this was due to the USCIS officer forgetting one signature. 😖 

I really hope your entire case isn't sent back to USCIS. Please contact NVC immediately so you can speak directly to a representative. Fingers crossed they don't tell you it's out of our hands and to go talk to USCIS (that's what happened in our case since the two departments BARELY talk to each other). Keep us posted!

Oh my, how terrible is that? I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you.

Appreciate all these details. In terms of the NVC sending it back to the USCIS, did they specifically send you a letter telling you they had done so? Or did you call the NVC, and an agent told you?

We're going to try and sort this all out. All in all, they're asking the destination of our application, which is technically not an RFE but a question. I guess their system has a bug or something? Because it's clearly Montreal, given we got the email specifying we're waiting to get an appointment there. But it's frustrating nonetheless.

Clearly, none of this process has been smooth for most people in this group. I just hope this constant stress and anxiety gets settled for everyone soon.

Timeline
55 minutes ago, annierob said:

Oh my, how terrible is that? I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you.

Appreciate all these details. In terms of the NVC sending it back to the USCIS, did they specifically send you a letter telling you they had done so? Or did you call the NVC, and an agent told you?

We're going to try and sort this all out. All in all, they're asking the destination of our application, which is technically not an RFE but a question. I guess their system has a bug or something? Because it's clearly Montreal, given we got the email specifying we're waiting to get an appointment there. But it's frustrating nonetheless.

Clearly, none of this process has been smooth for most people in this group. I just hope this constant stress and anxiety gets settled for everyone soon.

So, was able to get in contact with USCIS by chat, and it's a paperwork thing on their side.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.43.27 AM.png

18 minutes ago, Romans13 said:

Approved. 

same as dgf in terms of details. 

they did ask for for police certs from the countries (which were expired) and it was fine. 
canada police cert fine (privacy act-other)

Quick question - I have police certs from India and UK and I have been living in Canada for 5 years. If they expire before my interview and I haven't travelled to both those countries that means I can still use them? 

And congrats on you approval!

Edited by acmanu

Timeline
15 minutes ago, annierob said:

So, was able to get in contact with USCIS by chat, and it's a paperwork thing on their side.

Awesome! That's what I thought! They don't have the petition/file anymore since it was passed over to NVC. In my case, NVC specifically sent me a message saying my case was sent back to USCIS. I think you're good and still a DQ in line waiting for an interview! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

Awesome! That's what I thought! They don't have the petition/file anymore since it was passed over to NVC. In my case, NVC specifically sent me a message saying my case was sent back to USCIS. I think you're good and still a DQ in line waiting for an interview! 

Seems like we're fine, indeed. How incredibly anxiety-provoking...

Best o f luck with the continuation of your case! Fingers crossed it'll all be over soon!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.