Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, mam521 said:

@Hadarah set up cross border banking from the Canadian side and get a US credit card based on your Canadian credit.  Its also easier to send money across the border if you need to.  With RBC, it's an instantaneous cross border transfer rather than an annoying wire transfer with fees. I keep accounts in good standing in Canada just in case I want/need to move back.  

I'd try speaking to someone else at Chase Bank.  I've had the most success with them in the US (other than when I was trying to refinance my house...I should know better though!).  Wells Fargo, on the other hand, are AWFUL.  I HATE dealing with them but unfortunately, they service my mortgage.  

Oh I've already immigrated. Last week on Monday. We're not planning to move back at all hubby hates the snow lol. But yeah funny that my husband had no problem adding me as an authorized user on his US credit cards, and I've had offers coming to me as well in the mail at his US address even before I immigrated in my own name lol - but opening an actual bank account once legally immigrating has proven more challenging. But I'm not worried anymore after hearing Wells Fargo and Bank of America works well for others.  We will try getting me added to his Chase accounts again later. There's no rush. As long as I can open an account SOMEWHERE that's all that matters :) 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Leah123 said:

I signed up with Wells Fargo with no issues with out a SSN and just with my Canadian passport. You probably won't be able to join a credit union without a SSN based on my experience.  

Yeah I do have an SSN it's just the card is in my maiden name. Number stays the same. But they didn't even get to that part, its the passport with the visa inside as ID that some banks just don't accept. They just don't have that option in their little drop down menu on the computer. It's okay tho.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Akaur said:

How long has it been taking everyone to get their passport back after interview ?

Took 3 business days for me. Including the interview day. Mine was in the morning on a Wednesday.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hawk Riders said:

You'll be fine. Flying is no problem :) They take you into another place at customs for secondary questioning and it takes like 10 mins maybe? 1R1 Visa is even better. that happened to us as well. Now you'll have a 10 year green card when it eventually comes, instead of a 2 year one. Get excited :) You're almost there!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Hadarah said:

You'll be fine. Flying is no problem :) They take you into another place at customs for secondary questioning and it takes like 10 mins maybe? 1R1 Visa is even better. that happened to us as well. Now you'll have a 10 year green card when it eventually comes, instead of a 2 year one. Get excited :) You're almost there!

repost or edit that to tag the OP that I quoted

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
4 hours ago, gavinski91 said:

Seems weird to me that you can't get added to your husband's accounts - I added my wife to my accounts at the beginning of the year before we even started the I-130 and that wasn't an issue. If the issue though is with your SSN (we used my wife's ITIN when adding her to my account) then I suspect you'll have to resolve that first, as that's outside of the bank's control.

Anyone know if this causes issues once the ITIN turns into an SSN?  Do you just do a form and update the number?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Akaur said:

Heyy friends who’ve had their interviews. What are the first set of documents they want to see. I’m trying to put the binder together and I want those documents more towards the front for easy access! 

see p8 on the FAQ

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
1 hour ago, Akaur said:

Heyy friends who’ve had their interviews. What are the first set of documents they want to see. I’m trying to put the binder together and I want those documents more towards the front for easy access! 

As per the FAQ:

1. Passport

2. 2 pictures

3. Medical report

4. Birth certificate

5. Marriage certificate

6. Divorce papers (if applicable)

7. Police certificate/s

8. i864

9. Income tax return and W2

10. Petitioner birth certificate (if born in US) or proof of status

Remember, it is always better to have a document and not need it, than need a document and not have it.

Timeline
17 hours ago, Hadarah said:

@mika__ sorry the above was for you, not Hawkriders. My bad. Anyway hope you cross safely when you do :) 

Timeline
14 hours ago, AAA0523 said:

Is it possible to update the DS-260 form with my new passport number? If so, how can I make the changes?

I don't think you can make changes after it's submitted, but you can bring both the old and the new passport to the interview and get it updated at that point. I believe that's how it works. All the best!

Timeline

I called NVC just to see IF they could give me any information on their communication w/Montreal. No help/updates as usual. Was just told to wait patiently for my interview date. Not surprised at all. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

I called NVC just to see IF they could give me any information on their communication w/Montreal. No help/updates as usual. Was just told to wait patiently for my interview date. Not surprised at all. 

I sent another email. And will send a message on the ‘sosh’ media.  Gentle reminders that we’re waiting!  🤞🏻

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.