Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Hadarah said:

Hey guys, so I immigrated last week Monday and I can not even tell you how frustrating it is to try to open a bank account in this country. I just tried opening an account with Ally online, and that didn't work out. My husband can't even get me added to his accounts. Is there anyone here who has already immigrated that could share info what they did? Chase bank won't accept the temporary green card in my passport, and the Credit Union my husband is part of as a teacher also won't even accept an ACTUAL green card as ID, they need state ID, which I can't get without my SSN. And sadly I'm in a complicated situation with the SSN because I have one with my maiden name from years ago when I was in school in the US but with covid and all the SSA offices closed in our city I can't get an appointment to get my name changed on my card.  If anyone can give direction or point me to another thread on banking in the US that would be great. I'm starting to get frustrated. 

I would try wells Fargo! I ready asked these questions about adding my husband on and they can, but nothing can be under his name or he cant open a bank account without his ssn. I'm pretty sure that's what they said, it was a while ago. I'd call them though :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Hadarah said:

Hey guys, so I immigrated last week Monday and I can not even tell you how frustrating it is to try to open a bank account in this country. I just tried opening an account with Ally online, and that didn't work out. My husband can't even get me added to his accounts. Is there anyone here who has already immigrated that could share info what they did? Chase bank won't accept the temporary green card in my passport, and the Credit Union my husband is part of as a teacher also won't even accept an ACTUAL green card as ID, they need state ID, which I can't get without my SSN. And sadly I'm in a complicated situation with the SSN because I have one with my maiden name from years ago when I was in school in the US but with covid and all the SSA offices closed in our city I can't get an appointment to get my name changed on my card.  If anyone can give direction or point me to another thread on banking in the US that would be great. I'm starting to get frustrated. 

I signed up with Wells Fargo with no issues with out a SSN and just with my Canadian passport. You probably won't be able to join a credit union without a SSN based on my experience.  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Akaur said:

How long has it been taking everyone to get their passport back after interview ?

Our interview was 2 weeks ago, but we also had a delay in medical records. 

Tracking info has been updated and it should be there tomorrow or Friday! 

Marriage:2018-09-28

I-130 Sent :2019-01-08

I-130 NOA1 :2019-01-16

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved :2019-03-28

NVC Received :2019-04-10

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :2019-05-06

Pay AOS Bill :2019-05-06

Send IV Package: 2019-09-06

Case Complete at NVC: 2019-12-09

Receive Instruction and Interview Letter: 2020-03-05

Interview: 2020-04-20

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LvnDvX95_tfWtTvsJJM49PDPPvPKal0WG2rgdZHhsz0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Akaur said:

How long has it been taking everyone to get their passport back after interview ?

There is a whole column of that data on the spreadsheet, as well as a calculated average

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline

2 hours ago, mika__ said:

hi everyone

Just went to the post office to pic up my CR-1 visa (which actually says IR1 in my passport, I hope thats correct, we got married April 2018 so I guess I am IR1 now?...) anyways, when picking it up the post office lady helping me was asking me about my passport/visa I was picking up from there, and she asked me when I was gunna move to the USA. I told her I was going to move at the end of November here next month. She said to me "are you sure you can even cross the border?" and I told her "spouse visas are allowed to cross right now as far as I know" and she kept telling me that shes pretty sure I wont be able to cross and kept telling me to look into it.

I would imagine when I had my interview at the consulate last week in Montreal that they wouldve told me if I could not cross, but none of that was brought up. The only thing the consulate asked me is "how" im planning to cross and I said by plane.

Im not missing something am I? Im almost certain I can cross the border (coming from Canada, vancouver YVR is where im crossing from to the USA), its just the mail lady was SO adamant I could not cross and now its making me question if things have changed that im not aware of?

If anyone can let me know that would be great! :)

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline

@Hadarah set up cross border banking from the Canadian side and get a US credit card based on your Canadian credit.  Its also easier to send money across the border if you need to.  With RBC, it's an instantaneous cross border transfer rather than an annoying wire transfer with fees. I keep accounts in good standing in Canada just in case I want/need to move back.  

I'd try speaking to someone else at Chase Bank.  I've had the most success with them in the US (other than when I was trying to refinance my house...I should know better though!).  Wells Fargo, on the other hand, are AWFUL.  I HATE dealing with them but unfortunately, they service my mortgage.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
4 hours ago, Hadarah said:

I opened mine up with Chase about a month ago, I didn't have a problem at all. I just had to have my proof of address and used our lease as it has my name on it. I have my TTN but they didn't actually need it. I opened up a checking account.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, kburbasaur said:

I opened mine up with Chase about a month ago, I didn't have a problem at all. I just had to have my proof of address and used our lease as it has my name on it. I have my TTN but they didn't actually need it. I opened up a checking account.

I guess every state is different? We're in California, and the teller at Chase said they wouldn't accept my Passport/Visa with stamp as ID only green card or US Passport. But it's okay, if they want to be difficult, they're not the only bank. Thanks for the tip tho :) 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Dkw said:

Yes, Wells Fargo worked for my husband and I as well with only a passport. Im still going through the immigration process. 

Thanks :)  I've got an appointment booked. Seems all the banks are only going by appointment during covid. I feel better now though.

Thanks for a the input Everyone :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.