Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Hoffmaya said:

Details on today's interview Jan-13 at 8:45am:

I arrived at 8:40am and the security officer asked for my name and time of interview. He did not ask for the IL since he had a list of individual names and times with him. 

He let me in and I went through security clearance (similar to the airport). I only had a binder for my docs (no bag) and did not bring any cell phone with me.

I was asked to use the hand sanitizer dispenser, take the elevator and go to 1st floor - window #6. At the window, an officer only asked for my passport. I gave my passport and was told to seat down and wait for my name to be called.

Please note that the room is Covid friendly and individuals are spaced out accordingly. Masks must be worn at all time (I was never asked to remove it even during the interview). There is one security guard on-site. There are 2 bathrooms, a water fountain and hand sanitizer dispensers. No vending machines.

After 15 minutes, I was called to window #3. The other officer took my fingerprints. I was asked to provide the following docs: Original marriage certificate, true-copy of birth certificate along with certified translation, police certificates (from Canada and country of birth along with certified translation),  1 passport photo (which was scanned and returned to me), signed copies of 1040 forms.

The officer did not ask for the following: I-864 (there was no change since last time it was submitted), DS-260 confirmation page, petitioner photocopy of birth certificate or US passport.

Please note that I did not have W2 since my petitioner lives, works and files taxes in Canada. 

The officer confirmed they did receive the report from the medical exam, and gave me the pamphlet to read (domestic violence & sexual assaults and legal rights in the US). I was told to seat down and wait for my name to be called for the interview

After waiting approx. 1 hour, my name was called to window # 4 for the interview. The officer asked me to take an oath and took my fingerprints again. He asked if I read the pamphlet and wanted me to summarize its content. The following questions were asked:

- Who is the petitioner? What is your spouse's job?

- What do I do for a living?

- Where do we live?

- Where do we intend to move and live in the US?

- Do we intend to keep our current jobs in the US? We actually do as we both work remotely and our companies have US presence. 

- Since the petitioner lives and works in Canada, I was asked to provide info on foreign assets/income? We just went through the US federal tax return and I had the FBAR form with all the details.  

- How and when did I meet my spouse?

- When did we start to live together? 

- Where did we get married? Did we have both families?

The officer said everything was in order and he approved my IR-1 visa. He gave me the "Welcome to the USA" letter and another paper with info once your visa is approved (check document status, what to do with tracking number, requesting home delivery).

He kept my passport and 1040 forms and informed me that these will be returned to me in a week or so. He also confirmed that I have until Jun-16, 2021 the latest to activate my permanent residency (6 months from the date of medical exam). He informed that it'll most likely take 1 hour at POE. 

The interview lasted about 15 minutes. It was quite straight forward and smooth. The officer was very pleasant and friendly.  

Hope this helps. Should you need further info/details, do not hesitate to reach out. I'll update the thread once I receive the tracking info for the passport. I opted for the premium delivery service ($20) via Purolator.  

Thank you so much for providing the details here. I have the same situation as well. I am the u.s. citizen and been living here in Toronto for the last 10 years. Did you have a joint sponsor in your case? We had to go the joint sponsor route to get approved at the NVC level since we didn't have income in the u.s. to show and we were told I864 needs to be signed by someone who is domiciled in the u.s. I might reach out to you once we get my husband's IL for some help. 

All the best to you. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you everyone for sharing their interview experiences. It helps alot. We are interviewing on Jan 27. My husband is in quarantine until Jan 20 (he came to Toronto on 6th from india). We are not going have police certificates or maybe medical (scheduled on 21st with Dr Z) by interview times. We were thinking of rescheduling but i m too scared about the wait.

Has anyone from January try rescheduling from this thread.

Thanks

Sonam

Edited by Skaur0609

Timeline
6 hours ago, Stylereveal said:

When I submitted the 1040 with my I-864 electronically they weren’t signed and it was accepted. So do they want the signed copy?

The forms we submitted to NVC were signed so what was given during the interview were the same forms. The officer did not ask specifically for signed copies, I just gave them what we had submitted at that time. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, mizzem said:

Great review..thanks. I have also lived in Canada for many years with my husband (I am petitioner) and would like to know if you have a residence waiting for you in the US and what you told them when they asked where you intend to move and live in the US. We are waiting for the green card approval then we will be purchasing a house there but have been actively working with a realtor in the US for quite a while. Thanks..

You're welcome. My spouse (the petitioner) lives with me in Canada and we don't have our own residence waiting for us in the US. However, a friend offered to host us when we'll move there, and this is what we informed NVC and the officer during the interview. We just confirmed the address where we will be staying. If you don't have a family member or a friend who can help you, you can always rent a temporary location and provide the address. They just want to know if you have somewhere to stay (it could be a hotel) the day you decide to move permanently to the US. They also understand you cannot purchase or rent something permanent until you have the GC/residency. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Abhikochar said:

Thank you so much for providing the details here. I have the same situation as well. I am the u.s. citizen and been living here in Toronto for the last 10 years. Did you have a joint sponsor in your case? We had to go the joint sponsor route to get approved at the NVC level since we didn't have income in the u.s. to show and we were told I864 needs to be signed by someone who is domiciled in the u.s. I might reach out to you once we get my husband's IL for some help. 

All the best to you. 

We did not have any joint sponsor. We didn't have income in the US either since we live together and work in Canada. We just had sufficient funds/savings/assets to meet the requirements, therefore no joint sponsor was required. Happy to answer any questions you may have. 

8 minutes ago, Hoffmaya said:

We did not have any joint sponsor. We didn't have income in the US either since we live together and work in Canada. We just had sufficient funds/savings/assets to meet the requirements, therefore no joint sponsor was required. Happy to answer any questions you may have. 

Interesting. I think our lawyer messed up since on the I864 filled by me our lawyer stated my country of domicile as Canada. So then NVC asked us for someone who is domiciled in the U.S. to fill our I864. And I didn't have any assets in the u.s. but sufficient funds if we were to convert the net worth from Canadian funds into USD. I will save your username and message you personally. Thank you so much again. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hoffmaya said:

I didn't receive my tracking number yet but my visa is on its way; see confirmation from CEAC site.

CEAC.jpg

Our status just changed too!!!! No tracking number yet but just says final processing :) DO you know where we will get the tracking number? Will it come as an email or update on the AIS website?

Edited by HRubin

Timeline
10 minutes ago, HRubin said:

Our status just changed too!!!! No tracking number yet but just says final processing :) DO you know where we will get the tracking number? Will it come as an email or update on the AIS website?

The latter. When you login to https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/iv, your "Applicant Summary" page will display the tracking number once the visa is shipped.

No tracking information will be available while your visa is still being processed by the Consular section.   

Edited by Hoffmaya

57 minutes ago, Hoffmaya said:

The latter. When you login to https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/iv, your "Applicant Summary" page will display the tracking number once the visa is shipped.

No tracking information will be available while your visa is still being processed by the Consular section.   

I am so happy for you all. These messages cheer me up so much considering our wait time not sure how long it will be. Not sure if U.S. consulate is even scheduling new interviews at this time. But it's nice to see progressive status for you all, and to see things moving along. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hoffmaya said:

Our tracking number was sent via email. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hoffmaya said:

You're welcome. My spouse (the petitioner) lives with me in Canada and we don't have our own residence waiting for us in the US. However, a friend offered to host us when we'll move there, and this is what we informed NVC and the officer during the interview. We just confirmed the address where we will be staying. If you don't have a family member or a friend who can help you, you can always rent a temporary location and provide the address. They just want to know if you have somewhere to stay (it could be a hotel) the day you decide to move permanently to the US. They also understand you cannot purchase or rent something permanent until you have the GC/residency. 

Thank you for your reply. I don't know what we would do without everyone on VisaJourney, this group has helped us so much with questions along the way.. For years we have always stayed at my brothers house whenever in the US and we do have a notarized letter from him stating this and that we will be living there while looking for a home, hopefully this will help. We submitted it as well to NVC. Of course we wanted to wait for GC approval before actually purchasing one so hopefully they will be ok with that..Thanks again and good luck to you!

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has received a letter this month for an interview in February? My DQ date is May 23, 2020 and i know the spreadsheet estimated a letter this month for me. I had my heart set on receiving one this week since it is the third week of the month but nothing yet. Anyone? Am I mistaken in thinking they send out the letters on the third week of the month on monday or tuesday (i'm quite certain i read that in the FAQ)?

Thanks

Courtney

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.