Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Stylereveal said:

Just to be clear, I was reading other interviews that they really don’t need the I-864 unless there’s new information, but bring it anyways? 

Many folks here who have already had their interviews say it's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared so IMO it can't hurt to bring it with you even if there are no changes to report.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, sjb17 said:

Actually, hold on. I just re-read the FAQ and notice it doesn't say explicitly whether a photocopy is sufficient or the original is required for the petitioner birth certificate. @Hawk Riders or @DGF can either of you confirm and I'll update the FAQ?

Just looked on the website for interview preparation and it does say photocopy for the petitioner when you bring  your I -864. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, sjb17 said:

No, a photocopy is sufficient. You can find answers to these types of questions and more in this FAQ: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/edit?fbclid=IwAR1GmZJ2tTD19avokn0L8F852HAyfrw57OJChkxsbak6KM_JWAB0IupskT4

Do we need petitioners birth certificate? I was not aware of this. Can anyone please confirm is petitioners birth certificate is needed. I did not see it on the list anywhere. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Stylereveal said:

Just looked on the website for interview preparation and it does say photocopy for the petitioner when you bring  your I -864. 

3 minutes ago, AnkitShah20 said:

Do we need petitioners birth certificate? I was not aware of this. Can anyone please confirm is petitioners birth certificate is needed. I did not see it on the list anywhere. 

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but according to this page: "Every visa applicant, no matter their age, must bring certain documents to the interview, including photographs, the original or certified copy version of all civil documents submitted to NVC. You do not need to bring your Affidavit of Support or financial evidence you submitted to NVC."

Since the petitioner birth certificate is included in the "AOS supporting documents" category, you probably don't need to bring it but it is listed in "documents to bring to the interview" section of the CR-1/IR-1 FAQ so a photocopy can't hurt to be safe.

Timeline

Just to be on the same page, The new canadian Police verification certificate should read application type as:- Criminal Records Check for Personal Use : Other(Provide Details) right?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, sjb17 said:

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but according to this page: "Every visa applicant, no matter their age, must bring certain documents to the interview, including photographs, the original or certified copy version of all civil documents submitted to NVC. You do not need to bring your Affidavit of Support or financial evidence you submitted to NVC."

Since the petitioner birth certificate is included in the "AOS supporting documents" category, you probably don't need to bring it but it is listed in "documents to bring to the interview" section of the CR-1/IR-1 FAQ so a photocopy can't hurt to be safe.

I see it states....” 10. Petitioner birth certificate (if born in US) or proof of status. @sjb17 is this where you are looking? What if the petitioners is not US born? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, sjb17 said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MTL-Montreal.html#pre_interview_checklist

This checklist is the best to go off of. It is directly from the consulate.

Edit: If you don't want to click the link or are just curious it says you need original birth certificate of petitioner. We have had people be asked for their affidavit of support.

Edited by jackanddeona

Can anyone give more information regarding this quote from the FAQ for reasons a Visa may be declined:

• Lack of domicile (bring as much as you can but it would appear that a formal lease (not just a letter) is what they are looking for

Does this refer to the petitioners home? And if so has anyone had a circumstance of where they will be staying with family during the transition to the states while finding an apartment or purchasing a home?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, MrsDex said:

Can anyone give more information regarding this quote from the FAQ for reasons a Visa may be declined:

• Lack of domicile (bring as much as you can but it would appear that a formal lease (not just a letter) is what they are looking for

Does this refer to the petitioners home? And if so has anyone had a circumstance of where they will be staying with family during the transition to the states while finding an apartment or purchasing a home?

Thanks!

This will be my situation too. I would be contracting a lease on my name once my husband receives his IL. I have been advised by my lawyer that is sufficient for proof of domicile..in my case I am more of re establishing domicile..lived here in Toronto for the last 10 years, so cant really show a house or anything on my name in the U.S. 

16 minutes ago, MrsDex said:

Thanks!

This is something I have been wondering too. We are planning to live with my mother-in-law who lives in a big house alone until we find a house or an apartment. We are planning to get a letter from her stating that we can live with as long as we like. I have been just wondering it this would be sufficient enough for us to establish domicile. I hope other people here can shed some light on this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Specter said:

Just to be on the same page, The new Canadian Police verification certificate should read application type as:- Criminal Records Check for Personal Use : Other(Provide Details) right?

Correct.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
9 hours ago, AnkitShah20 said:

I looked on the site and it says photo copy

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS):  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year.

8A9F06FE-AAB9-42C1-A2CA-63C91E5C29D1.jpeg

Timeline
16 hours ago, M Brown said:

Just saw this.  Do you have a source to confirm this is essential travel?  Thanks. 

Travelling for immigration purposes is essential under Canadian federal law. (Which is why that minister in Quebec was allowed to travel to Peru to settle the affairs of his spouse, and the caucus and party had cleared his travel so he never should have had to resign, but I digress...) If such travel was not allowed, then our friends who have crossed at the land border while the borders have been closed would have been turned back, regardless of status. 

Just have your letter with the interview date and such with you at all times. It's possible for you to be stopped along the 401 corridor by the OPP and SQ, since you're driving. Have everything ready - your hotel confirmation (or name and address of the place where you are staying), your dates of travel, your interview confirmation, etc. They just want to make sure you're not going to Montreal for a protest against the lockdown or a gathering of any kind or for non-essential (partying) purposes.  IF on the off chance someone issues you a ticket, you can always fight it and get proof from the Consulate that you were there. 

Good luck with your interview! On Inauguration Day no less!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.