Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Adaab said:

Hi everyone, 

I have a bunch of questions

Does anyone got their IL for next month. I am waiting eagerly for mine. 

Secondly, which doctor in Ontario is the quickest to send report to the embassy on time. 

How is Montreal doing with all curfew and stuff? Is the commute easy?  

Best of luck to everyone

Cant answer last two but we are waiting on pins and needles for IL's to be sent out hopefully tonight.

Timeline

Hi all, Montreal Embassy just tweeted this message "Due to additional Quebec COVID-19 provincial restrictions currently in place through February 8, the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal is only able to schedule a limited number of new Immigrant Visa appointments. We will continue to interview scheduled applicants at this time and will update applicants as the situation develops." 

The way I understand, they will still send out interview letters this month but less than in recent months? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dsuthar said:

Hi all, Montreal Embassy just tweeted this message "Due to additional Quebec COVID-19 provincial restrictions currently in place through February 8, the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal is only able to schedule a limited number of new Immigrant Visa appointments. We will continue to interview scheduled applicants at this time and will update applicants as the situation develops." 

The way I understand, they will still send out interview letters this month but less than in recent months? 

Yes, they just posted that to their FB page too. So yes, they will be slowing down but it's not a complete closure, which is a good thing! 

If you are in Ontario, though, and you have an interview after Thursday January 14, make sure you have proof with you as you travel to Montreal because we are under a mandatory Stay At Home Order that is being enforced...and these interviews qualify as essential travel! 

Timeline

Any Ontarians planning to make the trip to Montreal in the next few weeks?  My interview is on Jan. 20th and I’m a little worried about Ontario’s stay-at-home order announced today.  My lawyer told me to proceed with my plan to drive from Toronto to Montreal next week but I’m worried about getting pulled over and issued a ticket or arrested.  I’ve emailed the premier’s office for clarification.  If anyone has new information or clarity on this issue in the next week or so, please @ me.  I will post any helpful info I can find.  Thanks.

Timeline
1 hour ago, CGs_Mother said:

If you are in Ontario, though, and you have an interview after Thursday January 14, make sure you have proof with you as you travel to Montreal because we are under a mandatory Stay At Home Order that is being enforced...and these interviews qualify as essential travel! 

Just saw this.  Do you have a source to confirm this is essential travel?  Thanks. 

Edited by M Brown

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dsuthar said:

Also, for the individuals with interviews scheduled in the coming days/weeks during Quebec's restrictions (lockdown + curfew), the US Consulate gives you the option to maintain your appointment or reschedule it if you cannot travel or attend your interview in Montreal; see communication below.

Dear visa applicant,

The Quebec provincial government has announced that due to recent changes in the epidemiological situation, all of Québec, except the Cree Territory of James Bay and Nunavik, will be on Maximum Alert (red zone) from January 9 up to and including February 8, 2021.  Additional information on current restrictions related to the pandemic is available here: https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/confinement-in-quebec/

You have an immigrant visa appointment scheduled at the U.S. Consulate General Montreal during this timeframe.  If you wish to reschedule your appointment, please notify the Montreal consular section by emailing Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov.  You should include your case number (a 13-character number starting with MTL), full name, and "reschedule due to Quebec measures" in the subject line.  The consular section will work with you to reschedule your appointment as soon as practicable once circumstances have improved.

If you wish to keep your currently scheduled appointment, no action is necessary. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Adaab said:

Hi everyone, 

I have a bunch of questions

Does anyone got their IL for next month. I am waiting eagerly for mine. 

Secondly, which doctor in Ontario is the quickest to send report to the embassy on time. 

How is Montreal doing with all curfew and stuff? Is the commute easy?  

Best of luck to everyone

I can answer the last question. I'm currently in Montreal for my interview scheduled tomorrow Jan-13. 

I flew in last night and arrived to the hotel at 10pm. The curfew (8pm-5am) is in full effect and the streets are dead empty. 

You are allowed to travel from the airport to your hotel during curfew as long as you keep your flight ticket as a proof.

Taxies and Uber are operational during the curfew. If you intend to use bus or metro services, you can refer to the following measures here

All shops are closed during the day with the exception of grocery stores, pharmacies and other essential services. 

You can only place orders for food pickup or delivery at your hotel.  

Timeline

Thank God they are not completely stopping the interviews. Also received email about if u want to reschedule.

Edited by Skaur0609

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a reminder for folks new to this forum: it helps all of us when you complete your timeline, and when you do so, do not overlook the following field

Case Completed at NVC :

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, mizzem said:

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask but just wondered if anyone has come across this issue or can help out. Has anyone had to renew their Canadian passport while it still has their I-551 stamp in it? Just thinking ahead and while my husbands interview is on Jan. 29 his passport expires in October/'21. I'm assuming he will have his green card by then but if there are any unexpected glitches that will prolong an approval, we don't expect any but you never know, what will happen with his stamp as they will void his present passport when a new one is issued. Thx..

My kiddo’s GC came, but it had the wrong status (CR-2 instead of IR-2), so I had to send it back. Our GC’s took 180 or so days. 

I would probably get the new passport because you can guarantee the photos will be correct and it’s cheaper to do it there, even expedited. It’s a 10 year document for adults and it’s one less worry on the laundry list of other worries! 

On 1/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, betzzymathew said:

Visas and stamp from old passport do not cancel automatically with passport being expired. (In some cases if passport is "damaged" , the stamps and visas do expire)

While travelling you just have to carry both passports. 

The issue is you have to send the current passport to Passport Canada, which is technically against the law in the US if you haven’t yet received your GC. You are required to have proof of status while in the US. The proof is in the passport. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Stylereveal said:

Hi

does anyone know if I need to have the petitioners my husbands original birth certificate for the interview? 

No, a photocopy is sufficient. You can find answers to these types of questions and more in this FAQ: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/edit?fbclid=IwAR1GmZJ2tTD19avokn0L8F852HAyfrw57OJChkxsbak6KM_JWAB0IupskT4

Edited by sjb17
misspelled a word

Timeline
3 minutes ago, sjb17 said:

No, a photocopy is sufficient. You can find answers to these types of questions and more in this FAQ: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/edit?fbclid=IwAR1GmZJ2tTD19avokn0L8F852HAyfrw57OJChkxsbak6KM_JWAB0IupskT4

Thanks, I was freaking out. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, sjb17 said:

Just to be clear, I was reading other interviews that they really don’t need the I-864 unless there’s new information, but bring it anyways? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Stylereveal said:

Thanks, I was freaking out. 

Actually, hold on. I just re-read the FAQ and notice it doesn't say explicitly whether a photocopy is sufficient or the original is required for the petitioner birth certificate. @Hawk Riders or @DGF can either of you confirm and I'll update the FAQ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.