Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, ameena1423 said:

Hi everyone!

For those who have recently been approved and received their immigrant visas and were tracking on CEAC, was there another status update after the one pictured below before you received notification that your passport was on its way back to you?

Just trying to estimate how long it will be until I receive mine back.

D2B09F0D-F126-450F-92F7-D2E74F095721.jpeg

Yes, there is one more step, this is the final message we received after that. Hope it changes soon!

CEAC Issued Final.png

On 1/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, Hawk Riders said:

Please refer to the FAQ document (link in signature)

Thanks for reply,

I looked into FAQ, it says bring the form DS-5540 for interview to be on safe side.

Since the form is discontinue, i can not download it from anywhere and the link that is provided in FAQ, if i click on it, it gives me a message saying it is not available.

Please give me your feedback if you recently interviewed.

5 hours ago, MJ9192 said:

Thanks for reply,

I looked into FAQ, it says bring the form DS-5540 for interview to be on safe side.

Since the form is discontinue, i can not download it from anywhere and the link that is provided in FAQ, if i click on it, it gives me a message saying it is not available.

Please give me your feedback if you recently interviewed.

The "Public charge" rule is being battled in courts. Currently there is no need to fill out DS-5540. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-public-charge.html

As has happened in the past, if there is a suspicion of "Public Charge" , you are more likely given a custom questionnaire to be filled and sent back (which is gonna on the lines of DS--540) . But as of now, you can ignore the DS-5540 form.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, Lovepeace0303 said:

Does anyone know how LONG the Consulate can actually hold on to your passport for post-interview or is there no such rule and they can keep it for as long as they like? Also, do they have to provide the beneficiary with a written notice (or clearly state in the 221g) if they are putting the applicant in to the lengthy administrative processing? 

Hey, 

You can request your passport anytime from them. They send it to the Canada Post location or if you took the home delivery, you get it the same way as you would have gotten the passport with visa. 

When they want it back, they will send you instruction on how to send the passport back. They give a step-by-step instruction for the clerk at Canada Post to do and the service is free. Personally I had an urgent need of travel and requested it back. Its not gonna change the outcome if you do request it. 

Regarding the 221g, they don't provide with beneficiary with any notice. Its' a huge black box unfortunately. 

Timeline

Those that are waiting for passport to be returned- has there really been no action for anyone since the Dec. 9 interviews? My husbands interview is next Wednesday and we are trying to plan how long he will be waiting in Montreal after the interview for his passport. I’m hoping this isn’t true but not surprised if it is.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, HRubin said:

Those that are waiting for passport to be returned- has there really been no action for anyone since the Dec. 9 interviews? My husbands interview is next Wednesday and we are trying to plan how long he will be waiting in Montreal after the interview for his passport. I’m hoping this isn’t true but not surprised if it is.

I think some people did get their passports back. It depends! We got delayed due to the medical not being at the Consulate at time of my husband's interview. We're still waiting for his visa to be issued. Our status jumped around quite a bit. Not sure what's going on. Hope to be done with this journey soon. 

Timeline

I'm curious to see if the pending Quebec lockdown is going to impact interviews being conducted. I'm due to be in the next batch of IL's this month, travelling to Montreal at this time is not an overly comforting thought. I'm in a higher risk category for COVID, while I've been diligent in precautions, travelling on a train and staying in a hotel are outside of my comfort levels. The anxiety levels just keep increasing lol. We've all waited so long for our interviews, and now that mine is within sight, I have such mixed emotions about attending it :( 

5 minutes ago, Cammabear said:

I'm curious to see if the pending Quebec lockdown is going to impact interviews being conducted. I'm due to be in the next batch of IL's this month, travelling to Montreal at this time is not an overly comforting thought. I'm in a higher risk category for COVID, while I've been diligent in precautions, travelling on a train and staying in a hotel are outside of my comfort levels. The anxiety levels just keep increasing lol. We've all waited so long for our interviews, and now that mine is within sight, I have such mixed emotions about attending it :( 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7555743/quebec-full-lockdown-possible-curfew/

Yeah it seems like they are heading towards a full lockdown/curfew though the premier is still working on full details. Lets hope for the best. Does anyone here have an insight into consular operations in UK? If they are operating during their full lockdown, we might have some hope here in Canada!

29 minutes ago, acmanu said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7555743/quebec-full-lockdown-possible-curfew/

Yeah it seems like they are heading towards a full lockdown/curfew though the premier is still working on full details. Lets hope for the best. Does anyone here have an insight into consular operations in UK? If they are operating during their full lockdown, we might have some hope here in Canada!

This would be terrible if the U.S. consulate shuts down again. Let's hope it doesn't happen....

Edited by Abhikochar

Timeline

I’m honestly starting to freak out about this. I’m suppose to be flying back Sunday, as I’m pretty sure I’ll be in the next batch of ILs. But if the consulate might close, as sure as hell don’t plan on going back to Quebec to wait it out. This province has been such a joke on so many levels. If AOS wasn’t so damn long, I would just go that route, but it’s not worth it at this point. 

16 minutes ago, BunyanP said:

I’m honestly starting to freak out about this. I’m suppose to be flying back Sunday, as I’m pretty sure I’ll be in the next batch of ILs. But if the consulate might close, as sure as hell don’t plan on going back to Quebec to wait it out. This province has been such a joke on so many levels. If AOS wasn’t so damn long, I would just go that route, but it’s not worth it at this point. 

Let's hope that u.s. consulate keeps on operating and issuing the interview letters. I checked online on their website and there is no operations update so far. Fingers crossed. Plus, I heard from someone on this group that U.S. Consulate has changed the layout to ensure the safe distancing protocols. So let's hope they will keep operating. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

Let's hope that u.s. consulate keeps on operating and issuing the interview letters. I checked online on their website and there is no operations update so far. Fingers crossed. Plus, I heard from someone on this group that U.S. Consulate has changed the layout to ensure the safe distancing protocols. So let's hope they will keep operating. 

They are instituting a curfew. I doubt it will.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

And let's also hope that they don't end up doing fiance visa interview letters this month like I believe the consulate sent in October. :( Looking to see what magic happens mid Jan. 

The consulate did over 100 family visas both October and nov. There was just not that many visa people in those numbers.

Timeline
44 minutes ago, BunyanP said:

I'm at the very beginning of the CR1 route (NO1 August 25) but I wonder if you can elaborate on AOS you mentioned? With the current Quebec lockdown it just seems like it will never end. I'm in BC 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.