Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
54 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I'm aware, I'm just trying to get as much anecdotal information as I can.

I believe you should have quite a bit of this information as I’ve noticed you’ve asked many people this same question. Other threads on here and Google can also help with this.

So apologies if I missed this (I checked the FAQ, didn't see it in there), my spouse is currently in Canada waiting for her interview, but her India police certificate is expired (it expires after one month). It was previously approved when we sent documents to the NVC, and she hasn't been to India since then. 

Would we need to request a new India police certificate prior to our interview? 

14 minutes ago, AfterMath said:

So apologies if I missed this (I checked the FAQ, didn't see it in there), my spouse is currently in Canada waiting for her interview, but her India police certificate is expired (it expires after one month). It was previously approved when we sent documents to the NVC, and she hasn't been to India since then. 

Would we need to request a new India police certificate prior to our interview? 

Yes, she will need a new one. Indian consulates in Canada are no longer providing the police certificates the same day. She will have to apply through BLS an it may take 4-8 weeks to arrive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, AfterMath said:

...my XXXXXXXX is expired; do I need a new XXXXXXXX prior to our interview? 

For all values of X, the answer is yes.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
17 hours ago, Atyree9 said:

You’re 100% right that it’s not illegal if you’re not adjusting status, which we weren’t. However, we’ve had two border patrol agents tell us that him coming to the states was “illegal”. Even with proof of employment and other documents stating his return. Some of the agents just like to be extra. 

It really does depend on where and how you are crossing, and who you get when you reach Customs. You may also notice that land borders (especially during COVID) are more strict about restrictions than the USCBP and CBSA at the airports. I have flown down twice during the current COVID protocols, once after we DQ'd, and got through without any problems. I also carry my work laptop whenever I travel (I always have since the start of my relationship with my husband), so if they ever do need proof of my employment, which they have never once asked me for, I can simply open up the laptop and show them everything. The first time I flew during COVID, our case was at NVC and not yet DQ'd, I had to prove I was flying to see my husband, and I had a copy of our marriage certificate with me. The USCBP agent was from San Antonio and I was going to Houston, so that may have had something to do with how friendly he was (albeit thorough - he could see that my case was at NVC when he checked my passport and saw that the case was in process but not yet completed). The second time I flew, after our DQ, the USCBP agent barely looked at me, and simply asked when I was coming back. 

A friend of mine in Toronto tried to visit her spouse by driving across after she DQ'd. She is also a health care worker. She was denied entry. Her spouse could drive up here once the restrictions were lifted for US spouses, but my friend could not cross via land border. Her spouse lives in Buffalo so they ended up meeting in Detroit by both flying there. 

Both my friend and I DQ'd after May 2020, so we are both still waiting for our cases to be transferred to the embassy. Our understanding is that we can continue to travel until our interviews are scheduled, and then we can no longer travel to the US until we receive our passports back from the embassy. She is using paid legal advice. I'm using all y'all here at VJ. :) 

Timeline
9 hours ago, darth vader said:

Yes, she will need a new one. Indian consulates in Canada are no longer providing the police certificates the same day. She will have to apply through BLS an it may take 4-8 weeks to arrive.

1 hour ago, Hawk Riders said:

For all values of X, the answer is yes.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but if she hasn't been back to India, shouldn't it be valid indefinitely in the eyes of the DOS regardless of when India determines it expires? 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, DGF said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but if she hasn't been back to India, shouldn't it be valid indefinitely in the eyes of the DOS regardless of when India determines it expires? 

I believe I stand corrected. Apologies. 

Per DoS:

Important: Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than one year ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ptitchou said:

What date are we expecting to hear about the next batch of interviews? Potentially late next week? 

Late next week or week after that 🤞

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, shammykay said:

We were wondering if anyone has researched their i-94 # for when they entered the US (via land border).  My husband's i-94 has NOT posted on https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search and the RMV (DMV to many of you...) are asking for an i-94 to process his driver's license (REAL ID requirements) instead of his temporary visa in his passport.  This is Massachusetts RMV.  Has anyone else had to prove i-94 requirements after entry? And if not available, what did you do?  

I also entered via land border and there was no update to my I-94.  I believe this is typical though, when you activate an immigrant visa you are no longer given I-94 records because those are "travel" records, and you are no longer a traveler but a resident.  Not sure what you tell you on how to meet the requirements for Mass RMV, I'm hoping my SSN comes in before I need to go in for mine in Texas. 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, wordsfromdani said:

I also entered via land border and there was no update to my I-94.  I believe this is typical though, when you activate an immigrant visa you are no longer given I-94 records because those are "travel" records, and you are no longer a traveler but a resident.  Not sure what you tell you on how to meet the requirements for Mass RMV, I'm hoping my SSN comes in before I need to go in for mine in Texas. 

From the research I have done at the Texas DMV you should be able to get a drivers license with this proof:

• Foreign passport with attached temporary I-551 (immigrant visa endorsed with ADIT stamp)
  • Proof of Identity
  • Proof of Texas Residency
  • SSN (people who have not ever been issued one can go to a DMV location and sign an affidavit stating so)

This website really has helped me plan for it. https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htm

I would appreciate if you try to get a drivers license without a ssn if you let me know how it goes since I was planning on trying to do that myself the first week I am there.

Timeline

Hi everyone!

For those who have recently been approved and received their immigrant visas and were tracking on CEAC, was there another status update after the one pictured below before you received notification that your passport was on its way back to you?

Just trying to estimate how long it will be until I receive mine back.

D2B09F0D-F126-450F-92F7-D2E74F095721.jpeg

Edited by ameena1423

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

From the research I have done at the Texas DMV you should be able to get a drivers license with this proof:

• Foreign passport with attached temporary I-551 (immigrant visa endorsed with ADIT stamp)
  • Proof of Identity
  • Proof of Texas Residency
  • SSN (people who have not ever been issued one can go to a DMV location and sign an affidavit stating so)

This website really has helped me plan for it. https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htm

I would appreciate if you try to get a drivers license without a ssn if you let me know how it goes since I was planning on trying to do that myself the first week I am there.

I have the same list of requirements, I am changing our utility bills to be in my name so that I have proof of Texas Residency :).  I'm giving it two weeks in hopes that my SSN comes in fast like some other's have experienced, and if I don't have my SSN I'll head in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.