Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dbrennan said:

Hello everyone!! I crossed the land border today at the pembina/Emerson POE (between Manitoba and North Dakota) and activated my IR1. Honestly it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Felt exactly like a normal land crossing, besides going into the office part for 30 mins. I went with upack to bring the majority of my stuff over the border but I did have some stuff in my car, the border agent asked me to roll down my back window so he could see what was back there, and asked me if I had any food or alcohol to claim. I think he also asked me if I had cash over $10 000 on me. They didn’t ask me anything about my car either. Now I’m just waiting for my husband at our hotel and in a few days we’ll be driving back down to california!!

Awesome, happy for you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dbrennan said:

Hello everyone!! I crossed the land border today at the pembina/Emerson POE (between Manitoba and North Dakota) and activated my IR1. Honestly it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Felt exactly like a normal land crossing, besides going into the office part for 30 mins. I went with upack to bring the majority of my stuff over the border but I did have some stuff in my car, the border agent asked me to roll down my back window so he could see what was back there, and asked me if I had any food or alcohol to claim. I think he also asked me if I had cash over $10 000 on me. They didn’t ask me anything about my car either. Now I’m just waiting for my husband at our hotel and in a few days we’ll be driving back down to california!!

Didn't ask you about your car? So you didn't import it? Not sure what exactly you mean can you clarify? Do you own the car?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

Didn't ask you about your car? So you didn't import it? Not sure what exactly you mean can you clarify? Do you own the car?

Just commenting because I have crossed many times myself. They mostly just care that you are not bring anything illegal into the country and no people that are not supposed to be crossing. Other than that if everything is in order you are good. If they thought the car was not yours or didn't have the proper stuff to it they would ask you to verify. In this case it seemed they were good to go. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, April M said:

Just commenting because I have crossed many times myself. They mostly just care that you are not bring anything illegal into the country and no people that are not supposed to be crossing. Other than that if everything is in order you are good. If they thought the car was not yours or didn't have the proper stuff to it they would ask you to verify. In this case it seemed they were good to go. 

Interesting as I’ve read that you have to get a letter of compliance from the manufacturer stating it meets the EPA  guidelines in the US.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, mizzem said:

Interesting as I’ve read that you have to get a letter of compliance from the manufacturer stating it meets the EPA  guidelines in the US.

You know they can check everything electronically now so all they have to have is a license plate number and or name.  Everything is done so fast these days. 

41 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

I didn’t import it, we planned on importing it later on and just doing the temporary import for now and going to import it soon after I arrive, it just ended up working out that the officer didn’t ask about importing my car. But I assume he knew it met all the US car guidelines because it’s a newer year and a common car (2018 civic)

Timeline
22 hours ago, jackanddeona said:

I'm sorry to hear about your lessons. I would be shocked if anyone who goes through this process doesn't learn something or regret certain choices they made. 

As far as hiring an attorney it is very expensive and some people on this forum have been recieving very bad advice. 

I have done the entire process so far by doing my own research and being a member on these forums and, so far so good. If someone does want an attorney make sure you do your research and find a reputable one.

As far as your lawyer telling you not to visit that is not a rule period. There are many things you can do to prepare for a visit so you won't be denied at the border. My last visit was in March before the pandemic but I had zero issues going across the border, not only that, I was completely confident that I would be able to. To me this is your lawyer just wanting to be lazy and not tell you how you can properly visit your spouse or, even worse, they don't even understand the rules regarding visits.

Yeah, actually a so called lawyer told me that I wont have problems going back to Toronto and coming back after we got married which was the worst advice ever and what actually put us in this position in the first place but to be fair it really is our fault for not doing our research and getting legal advice from a reputable lawyer. The lawyer we have now is one of the top lawyers in Florida and I am confident in him. Another lawyer also told me not to try and visit until I get my green card. I believe its because my past issues at the border and like someone in this forum said applying for a green card means you intent to live there so obviously entering on a B2 would be misinterpretation. Also, based on my own experience and hearing peoples stories it really seems there is almost zero consistency and it truly depends on the border officer and what he decides. It is so unfair but it seems to be the case. I dont want to take any chances and complicate things even more so I have been waiting. Based on the timelines it seems like it will be another year lol. I am almost numb at this point. 

Timeline

Is anyone have their sponsor spouse leaving in Canada with you while alredy applied for green card, and waiting for Interview at us consulate in Montreal, is it required to have sponsor spouse need to leave in USA when have interview, as I want my spouse to stay with me for interview and then move to USA together with my Daughter and wife(sponsor my green card), as I want to avoid my wife to travel due to covid19 situation 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Cressidia said:

Anyone know if the current lockdown in montreal has/is going to push back all the interviews again?

Current closure is Dec 25 - Jan 11. My interview is January 11. I contacted the consulate and it is still on. Also, someone had their interview Dec 30. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, YYZ&MIA said:

Yeah, actually a so called lawyer told me that I wont have problems going back to Toronto and coming back after we got married which was the worst advice ever and what actually put us in this position in the first place but to be fair it really is our fault for not doing our research and getting legal advice from a reputable lawyer. The lawyer we have now is one of the top lawyers in Florida and I am confident in him. Another lawyer also told me not to try and visit until I get my green card. I believe its because my past issues at the border and like someone in this forum said applying for a green card means you intent to live there so obviously entering on a B2 would be misinterpretation. Also, based on my own experience and hearing peoples stories it really seems there is almost zero consistency and it truly depends on the border officer and what he decides. It is so unfair but it seems to be the case. I dont want to take any chances and complicate things even more so I have been waiting. Based on the timelines it seems like it will be another year lol. I am almost numb at this point. 

Agree 👍

2 hours ago, Mi and Di said:

Is anyone have their sponsor spouse leaving in Canada with you while alredy applied for green card, and waiting for Interview at us consulate in Montreal, is it required to have sponsor spouse need to leave in USA when have interview, as I want my spouse to stay with me for interview and then move to USA together with my Daughter and wife(sponsor my green card), as I want to avoid my wife to travel due to covid19 situation 

Yes, I am living in Canada with my spouse and waiting for his interview and will transition and move together to the U.S. in few months. If you have the paperwork approved from your spouse and your spouse meets the requirements for domicile, I 864, I don't believe it's a requirement for sponsor spouse to be in the U.S. physically if your spouse wants to be in Canada with you for a little bit while you are awaiting your interview. 

Timeline

Hey everyone,

so I'm going over all my paperwork now since I'm in the U.S. with my wife currently. (DQ June 1st, so flying back Sunday) My question is this; 

Our 864 and 864A have an expiry date of 10/15/2019 so we are redoing them so i can bring them with me at my interview (TBD). We initially did not use my wife's income (petitioner) as she only had an accepted job offer at the time. However, now that she has been working for her employer for 6 months, does anyone know if we could update the 864 with her income and not use a joint sponsor?

this would simplify things, as our joint sponsor (MIL) recently started a new job with a significant pay cut. 

Thanks for any help!

Timeline
27 minutes ago, BunyanP said:

Hey everyone,

so I'm going over all my paperwork now since I'm in the U.S. with my wife currently. (DQ June 1st, so flying back Sunday) My question is this; 

Our 864 and 864A have an expiry date of 10/15/2019 so we are redoing them so i can bring them with me at my interview (TBD). We initially did not use my wife's income (petitioner) as she only had an accepted job offer at the time. However, now that she has been working for her employer for 6 months, does anyone know if we could update the 864 with her income and not use a joint sponsor?

this would simplify things, as our joint sponsor (MIL) recently started a new job with a significant pay cut. 

Thanks for any help!

To add to this; 

Is it even required to update the 864? it just seems like are doing it, and some are not? 

as of now, it would be simpler to keep everything as and just bring my sponsor's 1040 + w2+ transcript. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.