Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, KStene22 said:

Well that's the thing... I have the tax transcript for my joint sponsor, but I don't have his tax return.  And he's in the States, and we're in Canada, so... am I supposed to get him to mail his tax return to me?  That seems a bit strange to ask him, but I will if I have to!   

I may be wrong so someone correct me but if you have transcripts then you dont need the tax returns.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there - I am on the spreadsheet but I haven't been back at the thread in a while. I was DQ'd in September, however, since I was DQ'd, my current Canadian employer and I are negotiating the terms of me working remotely from the US once I move (grace a COVID). I submitted additional documents to the NVC as a Household Sponsor, since my husband's income wasn't enough to qualify (but his holdings were). My income exceeds the minimum but I'm bringing my son so I submitted the I-864A (instead of submitting a new I-864) along with a copy of a Letter of Intent from my employer. My question is: do I still have to bring my husband's tax return copies, or do I simply bring my Letter of Intent and my tax returns confirming my employment which will be continuing? Also, something else I didn't see in the FAQs - do we have to bring hard copies of documents in light of COVID, or can we bring electronic versions of documents if we do so on a device without internet access (a tablet or phone in airplane mode, a laptop without a wifi connection)? I have copies of everything but I don't have a printer. I can bring originals of the documents they need originals for, but again, COVID has made everything paperless...TIA. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, CGs_Mother said:

Hi there - I am on the spreadsheet but I haven't been back at the thread in a while. I was DQ'd in September, however, since I was DQ'd, my current Canadian employer and I are negotiating the terms of me working remotely from the US once I move (grace a COVID). I submitted additional documents to the NVC as a Household Sponsor, since my husband's income wasn't enough to qualify (but his holdings were). My income exceeds the minimum but I'm bringing my son so I submitted the I-864A (instead of submitting a new I-864) along with a copy of a Letter of Intent from my employer. My question is: do I still have to bring my husband's tax return copies, or do I simply bring my Letter of Intent and my tax returns confirming my employment which will be continuing? Also, something else I didn't see in the FAQs - do we have to bring hard copies of documents in light of COVID, or can we bring electronic versions of documents if we do so on a device without internet access (a tablet or phone in airplane mode, a laptop without a wifi connection)? I have copies of everything but I don't have a printer. I can bring originals of the documents they need originals for, but again, COVID has made everything paperless...TIA. 

I would bring everything - your husband’s and your documents. Yes, bring hardcopies. Originals and copies.

2 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

When you were DQ'd did you and the petitioner live together in Canada? If so, what proof of domicile and AOS did you use? An yes you need hard copies. Buy a cheap printer and print away at home.

Timeline

Green card arrived today but still no SSN. Called and they said to wait another week and call them back 😑 need the SSN more than the green card right now...Dec 14 entry date. 

Timeline

Hi guys, I crossed the border on December 15. Since I crossed I still haven’t received my SSN, I was telling myself that it might take more time due to the holidays. So today, my husband and I decided to call one of the office near us, and the agent on the phone told me it can take 30 days before being issued. Why some people received it like 7-10 days after crossing the border. The fact that I don’t have my social just make in a way where I can’t change my drivers license and putting down my chance of getting a job as the majority of the employers want their employees social... 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lovenature said:

Green card arrived today but still no SSN. Called and they said to wait another week and call them back 😑 need the SSN more than the green card right now...Dec 14 entry date. 

Where are you situated ? I crossed a day after you so I’m hoping to get my GC soon too then. I’m in Florida. 

Timeline

Question - My wife got a new job (same occupation - nurse) and also moved to a new place. Is there any documentation we need to fill in before hand to submit during are interview (or prior to our interview) to make note of these changes? The job pays more than what where she initially worked when we submitted our docs so it shouldn't effect the financial component of the sponsorship. And she did mail forwarding so any mail that goes to her place will get re-routed to her new place. I want to avoid making any changes as much as possible just to avoid adding any additional processing time. I'm expecting our interview for February (May 22 DQ). 

Timeline
2 hours ago, darth vader said:

When you were DQ'd did you and the petitioner live together in Canada? If so, what proof of domicile and AOS did you use? An yes you need hard copies. Buy a cheap printer and print away at home.

No, my husband lives in Houston, Texas and I live in Toronto, Ontario. We have never filed taxes to combine income though we have listed each other on our tax returns. He has always filed MFS and I have always filed Foreign Resident Spouse with the CRA, so both tax agencies are aware that we are married legally but living apart. We have joint bank accounts and I have added him to my health benefits with my work and he has added me to his. Do we need more proof than that, even though we are DQ'd? I don't know if we can legally have more proof. In Texas, real estate remains the sole property of the spouse who owned the property prior to the marriage. In Ontario, I don't have to add him to the deed of my house because he acquires half of my real estate automatically through marriage and when I sell I will have to ensure that the dividends are transferred to a joint account, which, like I said, we have already (thanks to RBC which allows for a Canadian without a SSN and an American without a SIN to have joint accounts, something which I found extremely difficult to do with any other bank in the US/Canada. TD does allow this but there are only TD branches in the Northeastern US.). 

If I need to print things for the interview, I'll just get permission to go into my office and print there. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, SASAS said:

I would bring everything - your husband’s and your documents. Yes, bring hardcopies. Originals and copies.

Do I have to bring his original passport and birth certificate? I don't think I can do that without him being in the country, and because he is an essential worker, he can't leave his job, never mind the US, if my interview is scheduled during the present COVID lockdown or similar protocols. Surely I'll be allowed to bring copies of these. If I need original certified copies, I can arrange for those to be couriered to me.  I do have court certified copies of his divorce decrees. 

5 minutes ago, CGs_Mother said:

No, my husband lives in Houston, Texas and I live in Toronto, Ontario. We have never filed taxes to combine income though we have listed each other on our tax returns. He has always filed MFS and I have always filed Foreign Resident Spouse with the CRA, so both tax agencies are aware that we are married legally but living apart. We have joint bank accounts and I have added him to my health benefits with my work and he has added me to his. Do we need more proof than that, even though we are DQ'd? I don't know if we can legally have more proof. In Texas, real estate remains the sole property of the spouse who owned the property prior to the marriage. In Ontario, I don't have to add him to the deed of my house because he acquires half of my real estate automatically through marriage and when I sell I will have to ensure that the dividends are transferred to a joint account, which, like I said, we have already (thanks to RBC which allows for a Canadian without a SSN and an American without a SIN to have joint accounts, something which I found extremely difficult to do with any other bank in the US/Canada. TD does allow this but there are only TD branches in the Northeastern US.). 

If I need to print things for the interview, I'll just get permission to go into my office and print there. 

Yes, definitely print everything. It is a minor inconvenience now, but you don't want to get denied at the interview because you didn't have a document.

Edited by darth vader

Timeline
1 minute ago, darth vader said:

Yes, definitely print everything. It is a minor inconvenience now, but you don't want to get denied at the interview because you didn't have a document.

Thanks. Since I was DQ'd in September, I don't expect my interview to be scheduled before next May, and hopefully by then my office will be open and I can just print all the .pdfs there. Oh you had asked what AOS we had filed - initially I-864 and then I added an I-864A when my employer wrote a Letter of Intent stating I would be maintaining my employment. The NVC have not yet reviewed the I-864A but DQ'd us with the I-864 even though they said his income wasn't enough (but I got help with that on another thread). 

Timeline
3 hours ago, rafale1973 said:

Where are you situated ? I crossed a day after you so I’m hoping to get my GC soon too then. I’m in Florida. 

Kentucky. Looks like you got more information than me on the SSN. I'm in the same boat as you, I need it to get my driver's license and for work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.