Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

Has anyone still waiting on their visa/passports receive an email like this from the Consulate? This is the response I received when asking for an update on my husband’s case. Again, don’t know if this is the LONG AP or just their general AP. They never asked husband for any additional documents/information. It’s been 2 weeks now since his interview. 

9D155019-DB5C-41A7-8A83-D5F246D1F12B.jpeg

I know you are super upset. But what I would suggest is contacting your Senator's office and politely asking the person you are speaking to to find out for you what kind of AP you are in. Also, it would help if you set some deadlines for yourself. For example, forget about the visa for a month, just distract yourself and dont check obsessively. Watch movies, youtube or something. Most likely this is just due to COVID/less staff. If the petitioner is not from MENA or high fraud countries, is not muslim, the chance of a long AP are very very slim. You have more chance of getting in car wreck and dying. Take a deep breath, usually "short APs" resolve themselves within 60-90 days. Be mentally prepared for 90 days. We are all praying for you!!!! Hang in there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I know you are super upset. But what I would suggest is contacting your Senator's office and politely asking the person you are speaking to to find out for you what kind of AP you are in. Also, it would help if you set some deadlines for yourself. For example, forget about the visa for a month, just distract yourself and dont check obsessively. Watch movies, youtube or something. Most likely this is just due to COVID/less staff. If the petitioner is not from MENA or high fraud countries, is not muslim, the chance of a long AP are very very slim. You have more chance of getting in car wreck and dying. Take a deep breath, usually "short APs" resolve themselves within 60-90 days. Be mentally prepared for 90 days. We are all praying for you!!!! Hang in there.

The Senator office/representatives are absolutely useless. I would rather speak directly to the Consulate myself than go through them and waste my time. It’s hard to just “forget” about something you’ve waited almost 3 years for, but will do what I can. 🙏🏽👍🏼

6 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

The Senator office/representatives are absolutely useless. I would rather speak directly to the Consulate myself than go through them and waste my time. It’s hard to just “forget” about something you’ve waited almost 3 years for, but will do what I can. 🙏🏽👍🏼

I know how it feels. What I meant by "forget" is that somehow stop yourself from obsessively checking every hour. It will wreck your mental health. please know that unless you belong to one of the categories I mentioned ealrier, most APs resolve in 60-90 days. Most likely it would be even less than that. I suggest that you breakdown the wait period and perhaps check once a week or once a day even but mentally tell your self that I am prepared for this to be over at 30 days mark. So you dont disappoint yourself every hour. Do you have any kids? Are you and your spouse living together? Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Michelle_VM said:

My husband was able to pick up his passport today and has crossed the Blue Water Bridge to activate his visa. It took 28 months, but we are finally able to start our lives. Thinking of you all in AP, I can imagine how deflated you must feel. All the best to all of you, and may your visa journey end soon!! 

Congrats! What was the reason for your DQ? How long did it take to resolve?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Congrats! What was the reason for your DQ? How long did it take to resolve?

Thanks! Reason for a second submission to the NVC? That was for the wrong birth certificate. My husband did not have a long form. We added a note explaining we would bring it to the interview and then I believe it took an extra 6 weeks to wait for the NVC to review our documents again and approve the note.

Just now, Michelle_VM said:

Thanks! Reason for a second submission to the NVC? That was for the wrong birth certificate. My husband did not have a long form. We added a note explaining we would bring it to the interview and then I believe it took an extra 6 weeks to wait for the NVC to review our documents again and approve the note.

Sorry, I meant what was the reason for the AP?

2 hours ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

Nothing yet on our end either. Husband’s status changed on ceac many times before it landed back to refused last week. Lol

What is your current status? Did you have a medical delay as well? Who knows what they’re doing. Slowest. Consulate. Ever. 

Yes I had a medical delay as well, on their end. I went from "Refused" to "At NVC" (which scared me) then back to "Refused". I just don't get it. Even considering the medical delay and in my case a background check as well. I received a response much like yours stating they received all of my paperwork and are awaiting processing.

Timeline
On 12/28/2020 at 7:54 AM, Hawk Riders said:

Either a transcript or the 1040. This has been answered here many times already.

Everyone, please check the FAQ.

Hi there Hawk Riders, I have read through the FAQ, and thanks for putting something so thorough together.  

This is a quote from the FAQ doc: 

"If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS):  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return(Form 1040) from the previous year."

and here is a quote from the travel.state.gov website pertaining to the pre-interview checklist for Montreal:

"If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS):  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return(Form 1040) from the previous year."

I know that Step 5 of the Immigrant Visa Process on their flowchart specifically says that tax transcripts are preferred when submitting docs to NVC.    So I wish they would say the same thing on the interview checklist, which has no mention of tax transcripts.  If I am being totally blind please forgive me!  Like many, I'm sure, I am second guessing everything.  We've had enough delays already!

1 hour ago, Michelle_VM said:

My husband was able to pick up his passport today and has crossed the Blue Water Bridge to activate his visa. It took 28 months, but we are finally able to start our lives. Thinking of you all in AP, I can imagine how deflated you must feel. All the best to all of you, and may your visa journey end soon!! 

Did you guys live together in Canada? If so, what did you do to prove domicile at NVC and then at the interview stage?

Timeline
59 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Did you guys live together in Canada? If so, what did you do to prove domicile at NVC and then at the 

You asked in a private message on Decemeber 22 and I answered 🙂

Edited by Michelle_VM

Timeline
1 hour ago, KStene22 said:

I know that Step 5 of the Immigrant Visa Process on their flowchart specifically says that tax transcripts are preferred when submitting docs to NVC.    So I wish they would say the same thing on the interview checklist, which has no mention of tax transcripts.  If I am being totally blind please forgive me!  Like many, I'm sure, I am second guessing everything.  We've had enough delays already!

You're not blind, there is no mention of tax transcripts in their checklist. I think it's just down to them being separate beasts. The NVC prefers tax transcripts (it's probably easier to review a bunch of transcripts since they're much shorter than returns!), while Montreal doesn't explicitly state a preference. At least that's my interpretation. The FAQ is specifically for Montreal so when possible I use what Montreal says rather than the NVC so that I don't miss any consulate specific information. If there's something that I can include that would make this section easier to understand let me know and I will update it!

As an aside, if my memory is serving me correctly, at my interview I was asked for the 2019 return, but when I said that I had both the return and the transcript, they asked for the transcript instead. Hope that helps with the second guessing :) 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

12 minutes ago, DGF said:

You're not blind, there is no mention of tax transcripts in their checklist. I think it's just down to them being separate beasts. The NVC prefers tax transcripts (it's probably easier to review a bunch of transcripts since they're much shorter than returns!), while Montreal doesn't explicitly state a preference. At least that's my interpretation. The FAQ is specifically for Montreal so when possible I use what Montreal says rather than the NVC so that I don't miss any consulate specific information. If there's something that I can include that would make this section easier to understand let me know and I will update it!

As an aside, if my memory is serving me correctly, at my interview I was asked for the 2019 return, but when I said that I had both the return and the transcript, they asked for the transcript instead. Hope that helps with the second guessing :) 

I strongly advice getting the tax transcripts. They can be obtained relatively easily, and it is just not worth it to get a 221g at the interview because of this. You can order them online or have them fax to you (use your office fax machine or a fax machine at any copy/print shop you live near by, much faster than having them mail it to you). Just my opinion. Your decision at the end of the day depending on how comfortable you feel.

Timeline
1 hour ago, darth vader said:

I strongly advice getting the tax transcripts. They can be obtained relatively easily, and it is just not worth it to get a 221g at the interview because of this. You can order them online or have them fax to you (use your office fax machine or a fax machine at any copy/print shop you live near by, much faster than having them mail it to you). Just my opinion. Your decision at the end of the day depending on how comfortable you feel.

Well that's the thing... I have the tax transcript for my joint sponsor, but I don't have his tax return.  And he's in the States, and we're in Canada, so... am I supposed to get him to mail his tax return to me?  That seems a bit strange to ask him, but I will if I have to!   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.