Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Abhikochar said:

I think your comment got deleted. I was interested to know answer to below questions:

1. How many times did you have to submit the documents before they finally accepted?

2. In the end, how long did it take for you to go from I-130 approval to DQ?

Just now, darth vader said:

I think your comment got deleted. I was interested to know answer to below questions:

1. How many times did you have to submit the documents before they finally accepted?

Yes, it did. Not sure what happened here. 

1. So like I mentioned NVC was very unclear and it took us few weeks to understand what they were looking for. Then I read a lot, spoke with my lawyer and we figured the issue. We submitted my sister's documents around May. nVC takes a few weeks to review at times as well. nVC got back to us first week of June with some missing documents which NVC didn't see in the right format or something. At that time, we re scanned and sent the documents late June. And early July we got approved. Make sure you follow the instructions on their site for submitting the documents otherwise NVC will just reject and it costs us time. 

2) took us from March until early July. 

4 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Good luck with your case. I hope you get approved soon. And feel free to ask any question here, if I know the answer since our case seems very similar, I will absolutely help. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, VanniFucci said:

Hey everyone. My wife (Canadian) had DQ on June 4th. Looking at the spreadsheet, it's possible we get an interview letter this upcoming round in January, with an interview sometime in February. We have a complication: she's scheduled to take the Bar Exam online on February 23-24. It would wreak havoc with her studying/exam taking if the interview was anytime around then (travel from Edmonton to Vancouver for medical, travel to Montreal for interview, etc). 

Is it worth emailing the consulate explaining the situation and requesting that, if an interview was about to be scheduled, it be after her exam (so basically March)? Or would that potentially cause more problems? Thanks!

The consulate won't be able to do anything since they don't do the scheduling, instead they send the number of available slots to the NVC, who assigns interviews in order of DQ. The NVC might be able to do something, but it's unlikely that they would as it would likely mess up their process (still worth a shot though). You'll most likely have to miss the interview and reschedule if the dates don't work out. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

59 minutes ago, DGF said:

The consulate won't be able to do anything since they don't do the scheduling, instead they send the number of available slots to the NVC, who assigns interviews in order of DQ. The NVC might be able to do something, but it's unlikely that they would as it would likely mess up their process (still worth a shot though). You'll most likely have to miss the interview and reschedule if the dates don't work out. 

Consulates can and do schedule interviews (DCF for example). Since NVC does it in order, your best bet is contacting the consulate and them agreeing to take care of it for you without bothering NVC. But contacting NVC as well won't hurt.

Timeline

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I was referred to this thread because it looks like it might help me. My wife is the Canadian beneficiary and she is waiting on an interview date. From my understanding that is where we are at. All documents and fees have been accepted so we are "documentality qualified". Just looking for some answers on how much longer this is supposed to take. This all happened at the beginning of October. I know Covid has screwed a lot of stuff up. This entire process is going on two years now. If anyone knows anything it would be great to know. Thanks and good luck everyone. 

1 hour ago, DGF said:

Ahh ok, I see. I will reach out to both and see what they say.

Has anyone missed/rescheduled their interview recently? I read somewhere that asking to reschedule was very dangerous and could push you really far back. Not sure how true that is.

Thanks @DGF and @darth vader for the help!

Timeline
9 hours ago, darth vader said:

Hi everyone, sorry this may be a bit unrelated but I am curious how many of you U.S.C. petitioners live in Canada with the beneficiaries and demonstrated that you have "intent to reestablish domicile" at NVC stage instead of actually moving ahead of your spouse? Did you have any trouble in proving this? Any tips?

This is us!  I was told the most convincing things to reestablish domicile are a place to live (renting, purchasing, lease...) and employment.  Other things are helpful for building your case, but likely not enough on their own, such as having bills in the USC name, US bank accounts, proof of registering children in school, US driver's license, etc.  

Also, I am fairly confident they specifically say NOT to sell your house or quit your job until you have your visa in hand, so though that may work for certain circumstances, it is not recommended.  

About assets, keep in mind that they have to equal 5x the amount required for your size of household to meet the Federal Poverty Guidelines.  Any sources of CAD income will not be considered unless you can prove they will continue after moving to the USA.  

Timeline

I'm looking through the interview checklist...

Can tax transcripts just be printed off the computer?  Is there such thing as an "original?"  

And I still need the 1040 as well?  So does my joint sponsor have to mail it to me?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, KStene22 said:

I'm looking through the interview checklist...

Can tax transcripts just be printed off the computer?  Is there such thing as an "original?"  

And I still need the 1040 as well?  So does my joint sponsor have to mail it to me?

Either a transcript or the 1040. This has been answered here many times already.

Everyone, please check the FAQ.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
20 hours ago, Incrediblestan said:

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I was referred to this thread because it looks like it might help me. My wife is the Canadian beneficiary and she is waiting on an interview date. From my understanding that is where we are at. All documents and fees have been accepted so we are "documentality qualified". Just looking for some answers on how much longer this is supposed to take. This all happened at the beginning of October. I know Covid has screwed a lot of stuff up. This entire process is going on two years now. If anyone knows anything it would be great to know. Thanks and good luck everyone. 

Update your timeline (the date you were "documentarily qualified" goes into your timeline as "Case Completed at NVC") and you will get added to the spreadsheet that tracks the data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LvnDvX95_tfWtTvsJJM49PDPPvPKal0WG2rgdZHhsz0/edit#gid=255923754 (link is also in @Hawk Riders signature just above this post). If you were DQ'ed in October 2020 then best guess right now would be that your interview will be scheduled for April or May 2021.

Timeline
On 12/27/2020 at 9:16 AM, darth vader said:

Hi everyone, sorry this may be a bit unrelated but I am curious how many of you U.S.C. petitioners live in Canada with the beneficiaries and demonstrated that you have "intent to reestablish domicile" at NVC stage instead of actually moving ahead of your spouse? Did you have any trouble in proving this? Any tips?

I (USC) am living in Canada with my wife right now, although I work in the States (cross the border every day) so my situation is a bit different in that I was able to prove that I still had domicile in the US even while living in Canada. I included a cover letter with my Affidavit of Support paperwork that explained my situation, including the following:

Following marriage to my wife, __________ (the intending immigrant) in [month] of [year], on [date] I temporarily departed the United States in order to reside in [province], Canada. During the period of time where I have been temporarily residing outside the United States, I have maintained domicile and employment in the United States, and have also maintained the same permanent mailing address listed in the heading of this letter for the entirety of that time period. As proof of domicile these additional documents are attached with this letter:

The language in that paragraph is pretty much pulled straight from the USCIS website explaining how to demonstrate US domicile while living in another country (I intentionally used the word "residing" instead of "living").

The documents that I included for proof of domicile included US bank statements, US credit card statements, US retirement account statements, evidence of meetings with US loan officers and my real estate agent's contact info, diploma from a US university that I received while living in Canada, form W-2s and US tax transcript, charitable contribution statements from US organizations, and membership dues statement from a US organization. Additional documents that would be helpful to include would be proof of state taxes (my state doesn't collect income taxes) and your voting record.

Please note that I am not a lawyer and am not qualified to give immigration advice; this is just what I did.

Timeline

Does anyone know how LONG the Consulate can actually hold on to your passport for post-interview or is there no such rule and they can keep it for as long as they like? Also, do they have to provide the beneficiary with a written notice (or clearly state in the 221g) if they are putting the applicant in to the lengthy administrative processing? 

6 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

Does anyone know how LONG the Consulate can actually hold on to your passport for post-interview or is there no such rule and they can keep it for as long as they like? Also, do they have to provide the beneficiary with a written notice (or clearly state in the 221g) if they are putting the applicant in to the lengthy administrative processing? 

Are you non-Canadian born citizen or Canadian PR? What was the reason for 221g?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.