Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Timeline
On 12/15/2020 at 3:50 AM, ameena1423 said:

Hi everyone, just following up from my previous post and providing details of my interview yesterday. Everyone who posted their experiences has been so helpful to me and I hope that mine can help out those who’s interviews are coming up as well.

My interview was scheduled for 8:00am. I stayed at the Hotel Birks the night before. The hotel was about a 7 minute walk to the Consulate and that too an easy one, down the same street. I arrived probably around just after 7:50am. The Consulate is located in the same building as an RBC and directly across the street from an Aritzia, Little Burgandy, and Michael Kors. There’s also two giant nutcrackers on the street right now which is helpful in locating the building. The doors to the Consulate were locked, but a Security Guard noticed me from inside and directed me to form a line up against the side of the building. He then proceeded to call me in about five mins later and checked my passport before directing me to go through Security. After security, I was directed to go to the first floor using the elevator and to go to windows 4, 5, or 6 when available.

When I arrived, there was one person sitting down and a couple of people at the windows. It’s important to note that if there’s other people sitting and no windows available, you have to note your turn and then approach one of the windows when it’s available. Many people who came in were unsure and there’s no sign indicating what to do. I also noticed that the security guard who sits near the waiting area was also not consistent in letting everyone know what to do when they arrived so many were confused.

I went up to a window when it was my turn and they asked for a passport and informed that I would be called up to provide my documents. Shortly after I was called up and asked to provide my address for where I will be living in the US and also my current address in Canada.

I also was asked to provide the following:

- Original Birth Certificate (I had both long and short but was asked for long)

- Original Marriage Certificate

- Husband’s 2019 tax return (Form 1040), W-2, and tax transcript

- One passport sized photo

- Police Certificate

- I-864 Form

*Both my Police Certificate and I-864 form were updated from the ones that I originally uploaded, I didn’t upload the new ones prior to the interview and just provided the individual with the updated ones

After waiting for some time, I was called up to a window for the interview. I was asked the following:

- Who is the petitioner?

- When and where did you meet your husband?

- Details about our wedding (when, where, who attended)

- What does your husband do for a living? Where does he work? Where is his work located?

- What do you plan to do after you move? What work will you do?

- Have you ever been arrested or charged?

- Have you ever been denied entry to the US and/or turned around? 

- Where have you travelled to in the last five years?

As mentioned in my previous post, I was then informed that they did not receive my medical exam and that they weren’t able to approve me today. I was given a 221g form that stated “pending medical exam”. The individual who interviewed me asked to keep my passport as this was normal and that once the medical exam was received, they could issue the Visa and send my passport back to me.

I left the Consulate just before 9:30am. Hoping my medical exam is received soon!

Congrats on your appointment. Did they ask for the 2019 tax transcript or did you just give it to them? Because I have the w2 and 1040 but not the transcript

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Stylereveal said:

Congrats on your appointment. Did they ask for the 2019 tax transcript or did you just give it to them? Because I have the w2 and 1040 but not the transcript

Thank you! They actually asked me for it after I gave them the 1040 and W2. I’m not sure why because it’s not listed as a document to bring, I just happened to have it with me. I know not everyone has been asked for one.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, ameena1423 said:

Thank you! They actually asked me for it after I gave them the 1040 and W2. I’m not sure why because it’s not listed as a document to bring, I just happened to have it with me. I know not everyone has been asked for one.

And they also asked you for the I-864 ?which they said on the site you didn’t need to bring 

Timeline
On 12/10/2020 at 1:30 PM, Romans13 said:

ANOTHER timeline update:

Crossed border on 21 Nov 2020.

UCSIS notification that Green Card creation 4 Dec 2020.

Physical Green Card arrived today, 10 December via priority mail.

pretty darn quick.

Congrats! On getting your visa. 
do you remember the time they gave you to leave Canada is it 6 months from the date of your interview approval or from your medical date? 

Timeline
On 12/11/2020 at 3:45 AM, T & R G said:

Hey everyone,

So excited! DQ'd April 29th got my IL...interview is scheduled for January 20th 9:00am 🎉😊

Congratulations to those who received their ILs we are almost there. This forum has been amazing I'm thankful for the support and encouragement 

I’m Jan 20th also Yayyy 

Timeline
On 12/11/2020 at 2:58 AM, MrsDex said:

So so SO happy!!! Best Christmas present EVER!!! DQ May 15 2020, interview Jan 27 @ 9:30 am!!! The wait is almost over!!!

I haven't read anyone mention lately about crossing the border after receiving their visa and then returning to Canada, hoping to move myself to PA and would take 2 trips. I'm guessing would need to quarantine etc, any other restrictions anyone can think of? Thanks everyone for being an amazing community so far, would have lost hope without all of you ♡

I’m planning on doing the same thing as my daughter is starting college in September so I will have to make a few trips will update the group when I do so. And yes I think it’s just Quarentine for now. My appointment is Jan 20

Timeline
1 hour ago, Stylereveal said:

And they also asked you for the I-864 ?which they said on the site you didn’t need to bring 

They asked if they should use the I-864 on file and that’s when I told them that I had an updated one and provided it to them.

Timeline

Well, day 8 after our interview and still no sign of husband’s passport/tracking or an update. We were so excited to see “Issued” on Friday, but that moment of happiness was gone when it went back to “Ready” on Monday and no update since. I never expected it to take THIS long post-interview at no fault of ours. Felt like we were finally at the end of this journey, but guess not. Feeling defeated to say the least. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

Well, day 8 after our interview and still no sign of husband’s passport/tracking or an update. We were so excited to see “Issued” on Friday, but that moment of happiness was gone when it went back to “Ready” on Monday and no update since. I never expected it to take THIS long post-interview at no fault of ours. Felt like we were finally at the end of this journey, but guess not. Feeling defeated to say the least. 

Not be, email and ask what is going on. I always emailed if I didn't hear. And it took my husband's almost three weeks to come back to him. Plus the web site is having problems. The IOM office had to email the embassy to fix it at one point. So , email...ask...can't hurt and even if you keep getting the same answers at least they know where you are and what you need. That's just my opinion, you don't have to take it. But do hang in there. For some reason they are taking way to long to do everything.

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know it sucks that they have the 14 days mandatory quarantine . My husband and I would have a visit every month and it would be just for the weekend. We have not been able to see each other since February. We were looking into the 5 days visit and we called the border and were told the US person has to stay for the 14 days . No one will stop you from leaving early but then you might have hard time come back to Canada for another visit as they will see you left early and did not stay for the 14 days . It is such an annoying thing. Many people are suffering because of this and cant enjoy their marriage any more!!! They are killing our marriages !!!!!

I had a plane ticket to go to the US and visit my husband with my son , and in the last minute my son became so paranoid of getting covid on the plane and we had to cancel. It is better for the Canadian spouse to travel to the USA as the USA is more relaxed with the quarantine rules. But it make more sense that you would travel by car vs plane not to get infected . But the USA is not allowing Canadians spouses to cross by land only by air, again does not compute !!!!!!

What is the thinking behind that???? So I hope you get to be with your spouse over the holidays , our holidays have been ruined already !

1 hour ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

I know this may sound harsh, but you should not expect to hear anything until 14 days .... Probably do a 3 day movie marathon ? 

I have the great [mis]fortune of interviewing in Montreal Consulate 4 times (2 times for Visitor Visa and 2 for Work), and had varying response for the passport return time. 1 was 1 day, 2nd 3 days. 3rd took 2 weeks and one took 2 months. For the one it took 2 weeks, I stayed up straight without sleep for 3 days and showed up at work with bloodshot eyes without my visa status in limbo. I did email them and unfortunately they were backed up then as well and got my passport tracking before their reply. 

But regardless ,delays are unfortunately routine. You should account for that in the expectation and probably anticipate delays. 

If things turn around and you get it today or tomorrow, More power to you !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
1 hour ago, Flowergirl 737 said:

I know it sucks that they have the 14 days mandatory quarantine . My husband and I would have a visit every month and it would be just for the weekend. We have not been able to see each other since February. We were looking into the 5 days visit and we called the border and were told the US person has to stay for the 14 days . No one will stop you from leaving early but then you might have hard time come back to Canada for another visit as they will see you left early and did not stay for the 14 days . It is such an annoying thing. Many people are suffering because of this and cant enjoy their marriage any more!!! They are killing our marriages !!!!!

I had a plane ticket to go to the US and visit my husband with my son , and in the last minute my son became so paranoid of getting covid on the plane and we had to cancel. It is better for the Canadian spouse to travel to the USA as the USA is more relaxed with the quarantine rules. But it make more sense that you would travel by car vs plane not to get infected . But the USA is not allowing Canadians spouses to cross by land only by air, again does not compute !!!!!!

What is the thinking behind that???? So I hope you get to be with your spouse over the holidays , our holidays have been ruined already !

I agree with you. I also think it is a political thing just like seeing a doctor or going to a government office is also a problem. They have changed everything because of Covid and not for our good but to our detriment despite covid being a problem as well. They have used this crisis for political gain and ruined a lot of people's lives. We just have to do our best to fight and get through this. Hang in there. Your efforts will pay off one day. Everything comes together soon or later. In these cases later is what they are forcing onto us. Hang in there.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Stylereveal said:

They prefer the transcript over the 1040 because it is proof that the IRS actually received your tax return (you could theoretically fill out a 1040 and show the consulate, but never send it to the IRS). The IRS has an online tool where you can request a copy of your transcript - if your [husband's] filing address is a US address, he can get a PDF copy instantly. If the filing address is a Canadian address, you can request it by mail and it (usually) arrives within 2 weeks (I know that CanadaPost is currently experiencing significant delays due to the holiday shipping rush).

Timeline

How long after crossing the border (december 15) should I expect to receive my SSN card ? I have paid the fees online for the GC and for that I know it will most likely take time. But I was wondering how long it would take for my SSN card as I am waiting for this to be able to change my driver's license. I checked the box on the form DS-260, so I'm just wondering when I should start being worried and go to an office for my SSN card. 

Also, is there a way I can track my green card status ? 

Edited by rafale1973

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.