Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just left the SSA after applying for my SSN. I opted out of having my SSN automatically sent to me so I wanted to share the process for getting an SSN/SSA appointment in person during COVID. The timing is specifically for the downtown Seattle office since that’s who I’ve been dealing with, it may be faster or slower elsewhere. 

I called the first business day after POE and was told I couldn’t come in until 14 days after I’d last been out of the country so they’d have someone call to schedule an appointment the week after my 14 days were up. The Monday of that week I called in again and was told I’d be called in 7-10 days. Later that afternoon I had a missed call and a message from a woman who just said “SSA” and the phone number for my local office. I called back and was told I’d be added to the list again for a call. After a week I hadn’t been called back so I called to follow up and it turns out by missing the first call I was put at the back of the line and had to wait another 7-10 days, so stay glued to your phone! This morning at 9:45 I got a call saying they had an appointment today at 12:30.

The process itself is easy, you put your documents and application in an envelope and submit them at a window and then wait to be called up. There were only 3 of us waiting but it was 55 minutes until we were called up (they initially called me up to ask if I had an EAD because they’d missed that the stamped visa is a temporary i551 but it was fine as soon as I pointed it out so I had to wait another 30 minutes after that but the other two people got to leave after being called up the first time). They said I’d get my card in the mail in 2 weeks and I couldn’t get my number before then and then gave me a receipt that says I applied today. Now to wait for the card!

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

55 minutes ago, DGF said:

Just left the SSA after applying for my SSN. I opted out of having my SSN automatically sent to me so I wanted to share the process for getting an SSN/SSA appointment in person during COVID. The timing is specifically for the downtown Seattle office since that’s who I’ve been dealing with, it may be faster or slower elsewhere. 

I called the first business day after POE and was told I couldn’t come in until 14 days after I’d last been out of the country so they’d have someone call to schedule an appointment the week after my 14 days were up. The Monday of that week I called in again and was told I’d be called in 7-10 days. Later that afternoon I had a missed call and a message from a woman who just said “SSA” and the phone number for my local office. I called back and was told I’d be added to the list again for a call. After a week I hadn’t been called back so I called to follow up and it turns out by missing the first call I was put at the back of the line and had to wait another 7-10 days, so stay glued to your phone! This morning at 9:45 I got a call saying they had an appointment today at 12:30.

The process itself is easy, you put your documents and application in an envelope and submit them at a window and then wait to be called up. There were only 3 of us waiting but it was 55 minutes until we were called up (they initially called me up to ask if I had an EAD because they’d missed that the stamped visa is a temporary i551 but it was fine as soon as I pointed it out so I had to wait another 30 minutes after that but the other two people got to leave after being called up the first time). They said I’d get my card in the mail in 2 weeks and I couldn’t get my number before then and then gave me a receipt that says I applied today. Now to wait for the card!

You should have must let them send it to you! My husband got his within 7 days of arrival.. does anyone know how long til we receive actual card? 

Timeline
7 hours ago, SASAS said:

My husband’s case was issued/AP a few hours ago and just updated to issued/final processing. ☺️

I missed the tracking email. The passport is coming on Tuesday.  🥲

Timeline
17 hours ago, Akaur said:

You should have must let them send it to you! My husband got his within 7 days of arrival.. does anyone know how long til we receive actual card? 

Oh wow 7 days? That is epically quick! My wife entered on 11/22, and we’re still waiting for hers.

We called our local SS office and they don’t have record of her in the system. We were told to wait it out a bit to avoid potentially ending up with two SSNs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, starboogie said:

Oh wow 7 days? That is epically quick! My wife entered on 11/22, and we’re still waiting for hers.

We called our local SS office and they don’t have record of her in the system. We were told to wait it out a bit to avoid potentially ending up with two SSNs.

I wish I could get ahold of my SSA office!  Been trying to call but no one answers!  I have a SSN, but it needs upgraded and my kids need their ITIN's changed to SSN's!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Dbrennan said:

Just got my tracking email for my passport so I assume that means my medical was received and I’m officially approved!!! That was quick, I was expecting to be held up for a few weeks or that my passport would have somehow gotten lost haha 

Sad that we're so beat down by the process that the worst is always the expected outcome! Congrats on finally seeing success!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Dbrennan said:

Just got my tracking email for my passport so I assume that means my medical was received and I’m officially approved!!! That was quick, I was expecting to be held up for a few weeks or that my passport would have somehow gotten lost haha 

Yay! congrats 🙂

Timeline
19 hours ago, Akaur said:

Lucky! I chose to opt out because I was planning to go in person on my first day here to avoid risking them not generating mine, but of course that was way before covid. 

For the green card they say to contact them after 90 days (I've also heard 120 days). People here have been saying they've been getting theirs in about a month, but when I crossed the CBP officer warned me that they're backlogged so it might take a year (really contradictory to the experiences shared here!) so I have no expectations for how long it will take and will stick to the 90/120 days guideline. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline

Does anyone have a photo of what the new police certificate looks like? 

My husband got a new one and we're pretty sure it's wrong and wanted to just see if anyone had a picture of the new one?

Thanks everyone!

Timeline
2 hours ago, HRubin said:

Does anyone have a photo of what the new police certificate looks like? 

My husband got a new one and we're pretty sure it's wrong and wanted to just see if anyone had a picture of the new one?

Thanks everyone!

Someone posted the new one on the Canadian k1 and spousal visa group on fb. It should say For Active criminal Record

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SASAS said:

Someone posted the new one on the Canadian k1 and spousal visa group on fb. It should say For Active criminal Record

Thank you! I’m not a part of that group but I will go join now- appreciate it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.