Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

Yes! That’s the real question. Does the consulate know this is the new/updated police certificate? Lol

And for those of us that have interviews coming up, will the privacy act one still be accepted given this recent/new change? It seems that the folks that got a police certificate in November are all following this new format. Anyone before November was still being issued the privacy act one. I definitely don’t have the time now to get a new certificate, so let’s hope they are accepting the privacy act ones still! 

The instructions still say privacy act so it seems the RCMP has amended their template. I hope they have communicated this new change. 

Timeline
On 11/25/2020 at 4:17 PM, Lovenature said:

My husband changed jobs so that's why we prepared a new one. 

Hi Lovenature,

Do we have to sign a new form or just the new employment letter will suffice? We asked our lawyer and he said just bring the document to the interview instead of uploading on CEAC, but wasn't very clear on his instruction if need to re-fill the entire form again. Sometimes I feel like paying everyone in visajourney instead of our lawyer. He always sends us one liner answers...

Thanks in advance....

Edited by 2Ps

Timeline
11 hours ago, 2Ps said:

Hi Lovenature,

Do we have to sign a new form or just the new employment letter will suffice? We asked our lawyer and he said just bring the document to the interview instead of uploading on CEAC, but wasn't very clear on his instruction if need to re-fill the entire form again. Sometimes I feel like paying everyone in visajourney instead of our lawyer. He always sends us one liner answers...

Thanks in advance....

Hi 2Ps, LOL on the lawyer comment. I know exactly what you mean as I started my I-130 with one but completed NVC and beyond on my own after finding VJ.

I did not receive any instructions to upload ahead of time so I just brought everything with me. When I went, they asked if I had the original I-864 or a new one. When I said I had a new one that is all they wanted along with 2019 tax information (of which I provided a copy of the 1040, form 8938 as it was applicable for my husband and W-2's). I had an employment letter and paystubs with me just in case but they never asked for them. I only gave them what they asked for.

Hope this helps!

Timeline

Hi guys. See image for those of you wondering about the new wording on the police certificates. My friend just sent this to me as she had the same Personal Use verbiage on her certificate (she got hers renewed in Nov). They just implemented this change on Nov 1st. I’m sure those of us with the old

privacy act certificates will still be accepted for a ‘grace period’ of some sort. 

9242748B-A2F2-44DF-B6B4-C3CDD253466C.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/21/2020 at 9:27 PM, Romans13 said:

This afternoon I drove South in my U-Haul to the Coutts/Sweetgrass,MT poe. Pulled into secondary. “Paperwork” took about 30 minutes. I handed them a typed out list of contents of my truck and approx value. They skimmed through it. They did not search the truck. All were friendly and professional to deal with. Interesting thing said was that greencard would take 8 months. (But recent forum members have received theirs in 1-2 months). 
anyhow: 2700km of driving left to reach destination. 

Where is "home"?  Similar experience back on April 1 - little less time, but basically complete disinterest in our Uhaul trailer contents!  

I will say traveling at 62mph through MT & WY was awful...but it was as fast as the trailer would allow! 

On 11/22/2020 at 7:19 AM, wordsfromdani said:

These POE updates are really helpful thanks @Romans13 and @Airline Pilot.  

I’m starting to plan how I will handle my POE, I would love insight on how best to handle this.  My interview is Dec 7, and I’m hoping to be able to cross in time to help my mother-in-law recover from a surgery she is having on Jan 5.  Complicating factors, I have three dogs and my husband will be working offshore leading up to the holidays so he could not get to Canada in time to quarantine for 14 days and support me with the drive and the dogs. Also, I have a private sale of my Canadian vehicle set up to go once I receive my visa. 

The best plan we have come up with is to rent a U-Haul Trailer and borrow my parents truck to tow it. I would have a letter from them authorizing me to take it into the US temporarily. For my parents’ purposes I just need to return it to them before May so it gives me lots of options to come back for a visit, quarantine as necessary and return their vehicle. My husband would fly to the US side of wherever I cross (Buffalo or Detroit area crossings - really I could do any POE in southern Ontario) and help me drive the rest of the way.  

That part sounds good, what I’m worried about is having to leave my three medium/large dogs in the truck while I go inside for secondary to have all my paperwork processed. Thoughts on how to handle this? 

My doggo just stayed in the truck.  She was pretty well behaved.  The border agencies had a sniffer dog in their K-9 unit parked beside us.  That dog barked at my dog, but she just hung out.  

Are yours going to be free in the cab or kenneled?  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

I didn't realize I-864s had expirations. I see ours are marked "Expires 3/31/2020" though we just submitted them in February 2020. What I'm reading here leads me to wonder if we need new ones. 

More context - I'm the petitioner, my previous job ended and I was about to start a new job when we submitted the forms, so we submitted my offer letter as part of my proof of income, but since I wasn't actually working at the time we completed the forms, we couldn't claim any current income, so we also secured a joint sponsor, my dad. Dad lives with my mom. That means we have two I-864s (myself and Dad), and one I-864a (Mom, as Dad's household member). Their forms use their 2018 tax info, as they hadn't done their 2019 taxes yet. My form uses my 2019 tax info. All forms say "Expires 3/31/2020". Since receiving our interview letter, we've updated CEAC with 2019 tax transcripts for (Dad and Mom), 2019's 1099s (Dad and Mom), and my last three months of paychecks at the new job to show my current income. If we submit an updated I-864, we would no longer require a joint sponsor.

• Is it safe to change sponsorship at this point?
  • As much as I dislike doing even more paperwork, I am all for the 'better safe than sorry' approach of doing new forms. But what is safer: Continued request for a joint sponsor that is not actually needed, or showing up to the interview with a shift in our sponsorship arrangements? 
  • Do we need to call the consulate? Do you get reliable answers when you call?
  • Anyone have any related experience or suggestions?

USCIS

Dec 29 2018 ------ Married

Jan 23 2019 ------ I-130 submitted

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

Feb 11 2020 ------ Welcome letter email received

Feb 12 2020 ------ Case Creation date

Feb 12 2020 ------ IV and AOS bills visible. Paid same day.

Feb 15 2020 ------ AOS and IV bills showing paid, AOS and DS-260 accessible

Feb 18 2020 ------ DS-260 (plus documents) and AOS documents submitted

Feb 19 2020 ------ DQ email received

COVID happened

Nov 16 2020 ------ Interview email received

Consulate

Dec 02 2020 ------ Medical with Dr. Cheema

Dec 14 2020 ------ Interview at Montreal consulate

Dec 22 2020 ------ Passport returned with visa

Permanent Resident

Dec 28 2020 ------ Immigration fee (green card processing fee) paid

Jan 01 2021 ------ POE Peace Arch, with 20' U-Haul

Jan 11 2021 ------ Social Security card received

Mar 26 2021 ------ Green Card received, IR-1

Citizenship

Dec 27 2023 ------ N400 submitted 

Jan 17 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR), cancelled due to ice storm

Feb 20 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR)

Apr 1 2024 ------ Citizenship exam & oath ceremony!

Timeline

Thank you @mam521 and @Dbrennan! If the expiry date is not a concern, then the remaining concern is that @Lovenature was asked for an updated I-864. Is that something we should expect to happen to us?

USCIS

Dec 29 2018 ------ Married

Jan 23 2019 ------ I-130 submitted

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

Feb 11 2020 ------ Welcome letter email received

Feb 12 2020 ------ Case Creation date

Feb 12 2020 ------ IV and AOS bills visible. Paid same day.

Feb 15 2020 ------ AOS and IV bills showing paid, AOS and DS-260 accessible

Feb 18 2020 ------ DS-260 (plus documents) and AOS documents submitted

Feb 19 2020 ------ DQ email received

COVID happened

Nov 16 2020 ------ Interview email received

Consulate

Dec 02 2020 ------ Medical with Dr. Cheema

Dec 14 2020 ------ Interview at Montreal consulate

Dec 22 2020 ------ Passport returned with visa

Permanent Resident

Dec 28 2020 ------ Immigration fee (green card processing fee) paid

Jan 01 2021 ------ POE Peace Arch, with 20' U-Haul

Jan 11 2021 ------ Social Security card received

Mar 26 2021 ------ Green Card received, IR-1

Citizenship

Dec 27 2023 ------ N400 submitted 

Jan 17 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR), cancelled due to ice storm

Feb 20 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR)

Apr 1 2024 ------ Citizenship exam & oath ceremony!

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Lois K said:

Thank you @mam521 and @Dbrennan! If the expiry date is not a concern, then the remaining concern is that @Lovenature was asked for an updated I-864. Is that something we should expect to happen to us?

I think because the employment situation changed. I am bringing a new one to the interview because my spouse got a new job. Otherwise I wouldn’t. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lois K said:

They asked if I had an updated one which I did. If I didn't I suspect she would have asked me for the original.

Timeline
20 hours ago, Dbrennan said:

I googled about the expiry, and on the faq for the form on the travel state gov website says the form doesn’t expire 

Seconded! The expiry date is usually the revision date but your I-864 is judged under the guidelines that were active at the time. Like the people who submitted their documents in the 90’s likely have very different paperwork, but it’s still considered current until it is rejected, at which time you’ll have to resubmit a new i-864 

IR1 - DQ Oct 16 2020

---

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet 
(follow instructions at the top of the page and DM @Hawk Riders to be added)

Timeline
11 hours ago, Hawk Riders said:

Wednesday is coming!

@Kimchi, @Dbrennan, @SASAS, @S&A47: cheers!

Oh so you think we might see January dates tomorrow? That would be so fab! I was thinking we would see them sometime next week. Here’s hoping!!. And here’s hoping we don’t get skipped over for a month. 🤞🏻 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.