Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Husband did his medical with Dr. Mascarenhas last Tuesday 11/17. The results were sent electronically to the embassy today. Im so relieved!The doctor’s office said they would need 10 business days and they did it in 6. Interview is in less than a week!

Timeline

Quick note about medicals, transportation and accommodations in Montreal....

When I received the email confirmation from from Dr. Zatzman that the medicals were transmitted, I noticed CEAC showed an update the same day.

For getting to Montreal, flying was too expensive and I was nervous enough for my interview so I opted to take the train. Even though Toronto is on quasi lockdown they are still running.

The hotel was a 15 min walk from the train station with a noon check out time and then the consulate was a 10 min walk from the hotel. This meant I could leave all my stuff at the hotel.

Restaurants are closed in Montreal but they gave us a list of recommended places you can order through uber eats or skip the dishes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dbrennan said:

Does this mean the results were received by the consulate after five days? My medical is tomorrow morning and my interview is dec 2 so I’m stressed haha 

5 days, 3 business days. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lovenature said:

Approved! My son and I are on the train heading home now.

When the interview notice came through my son's interview was actually listed as 15 minutes after mine. I explained to the security guard he is a minor (at least for a couple more weeks 🤪) so he let him in with me and instructed me to tell them upstairs why he was early.

I only gave them the documents they specifically asked for. The lady took my originals first and then my son's. She only wanted one photo each which she scanned and gave back to us (I gave her the stamped ones but she did not appear to check for this). As we had to update our police certificates I only gave her the new ones. (Mine looked like the sample on our spreadsheet and was accepted).

Likewise, when she asked about the I-864 since I brought a new one she only wanted that one. I did not have a 2019 transcript but the copy of the 1040 and W-2s was accepted with no issues. I did notice the main thing they were looking for was the new I-864 was actually signed by the petitioner. (Also, for anyone who is required to file form 8938 they DO want a copy of this if you are providing tax return copies).

We waited about 40 minutes to get called back up for the actual interview. The interviewer was very pleasant and nice. I think I got asked every question others reported combined and then some lol (who is your petitioner, when did you meet, where do each of you live, what does he do, have you been married before,  when did you get divorced, do you have any children together, any other kids for each of you, have you been outside of the US, have you been to the US, longest time in the US, any trouble with the law or immigration, etc).

Since my son is 17 we didn't know what to expect as I couldn't find reviews talking about older children interviews. They did ask him some direct questions as well (is he in school or finished, what does he plan to do, is he excited to move to US, has he had any trouble with the law or immigration and if he was married now or ever had been married. She explained they ask this because it impacts the type of visa he would be eligible for. )

At the end she said she was going to approve us. I got the welcome to the US paper. We were in there about an hour and 40 minutes total. When we got back to the hotel I checked our status on CEAC and it has already changed to ISSUED pending further processing.

Sorry for the lengthy post; I found other reviews helpful in preparing for today and hope this is of benefit to others.

To everyone else still waiting hang in there. This is a horrible process that tests your nerves, patience and perseverance. Your time will come (even if it feels like it won't) . For those with their interviews in the next few weeks best of luck!

I know it was mentioned before, but can you elaborate on the new 864? What was the reason for it? Is it based on an expiry date?

thanks and congrats!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lovenature said:

I did notice the main thing they were looking for was the new I-864 was actually signed by the petitioner. (Also, for anyone who is required to file form 8938 they DO want a copy of this if you are providing tax return copies).

Did you have a wet signature or just a copy  of the original with the wet signature? 

Timeline
34 minutes ago, BunyanP said:

I know it was mentioned before, but can you elaborate on the new 864? What was the reason for it? Is it based on an expiry date?

thanks and congrats!

My husband changed jobs so that's why we prepared a new one. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, wordsfromdani said:

Did you have a wet signature or just a copy  of the original with the wet signature? 

I had a wet signature but that's only because he updated the form when he last visited me. I overheard them talking and they said make sure there is a signature.

Timeline
3 hours ago, BunyanP said:

thanks and congrats!

There actually is an expiration date on the actual form on the top. I had to complete a new one since mine was long expired. I’m the petitioner! Signed it and husband has the original. 

I don’t think it matters if the information hasn’t changed in the form. I updated mine anyway. Better to be over prepared lol.

Edited by Lovepeace0303

Timeline
15 hours ago, wordsfromdani said:

Do we need to have a wet signature? Or is the copy of one okay? 

Timeline
On 11/25/2020 at 4:55 PM, Lovenature said:

For getting to Montreal, flying was too expensive and I was nervous enough for my interview so I opted to take the train. Even though Toronto is on quasi lockdown they are still running.

How was the experience on the train? Did you feel that they were taking good precautions against the virus? I'd been thinking about how to get there since I'd normally take the train but worried about the air quality vs the filtering on a plane. 

On 11/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, Lovenature said:

Approved! My son and I are on the train heading home now.

When the interview notice came through my son's interview was actually listed as 15 minutes after mine. I explained to the security guard he is a minor (at least for a couple more weeks 🤪) so he let him in with me and instructed me to tell them upstairs why he was early.

I only gave them the documents they specifically asked for. The lady took my originals first and then my son's. She only wanted one photo each which she scanned and gave back to us (I gave her the stamped ones but she did not appear to check for this). As we had to update our police certificates I only gave her the new ones. (Mine looked like the sample on our spreadsheet and was accepted).

Likewise, when she asked about the I-864 since I brought a new one she only wanted that one. I did not have a 2019 transcript but the copy of the 1040 and W-2s was accepted with no issues. I did notice the main thing they were looking for was the new I-864 was actually signed by the petitioner. (Also, for anyone who is required to file form 8938 they DO want a copy of this if you are providing tax return copies).

We waited about 40 minutes to get called back up for the actual interview. The interviewer was very pleasant and nice. I think I got asked every question others reported combined and then some lol (who is your petitioner, when did you meet, where do each of you live, what does he do, have you been married before,  when did you get divorced, do you have any children together, any other kids for each of you, have you been outside of the US, have you been to the US, longest time in the US, any trouble with the law or immigration, etc).

Since my son is 17 we didn't know what to expect as I couldn't find reviews talking about older children interviews. They did ask him some direct questions as well (is he in school or finished, what does he plan to do, is he excited to move to US, has he had any trouble with the law or immigration and if he was married now or ever had been married. She explained they ask this because it impacts the type of visa he would be eligible for. )

At the end she said she was going to approve us. I got the welcome to the US paper. We were in there about an hour and 40 minutes total. When we got back to the hotel I checked our status on CEAC and it has already changed to ISSUED pending further processing.

Sorry for the lengthy post; I found other reviews helpful in preparing for today and hope this is of benefit to others.

To everyone else still waiting hang in there. This is a horrible process that tests your nerves, patience and perseverance. Your time will come (even if it feels like it won't) . For those with their interviews in the next few weeks best of luck!

@LovenatureBig, heartfelt congratulations! So happy for you! and thanks for the detailed post about the interview process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.