Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, wordsfromdani said:

These POE updates are really helpful thanks @Romans13 and @Airline Pilot.  

I’m starting to plan how I will handle my POE, I would love insight on how best to handle this.  My interview is Dec 7, and I’m hoping to be able to cross in time to help my mother-in-law recover from a surgery she is having on Jan 5.  Complicating factors, I have three dogs and my husband will be working offshore leading up to the holidays so he could not get to Canada in time to quarantine for 14 days and support me with the drive and the dogs. Also, I have a private sale of my Canadian vehicle set up to go once I receive my visa. 

The best plan we have come up with is to rent a U-Haul Trailer and borrow my parents truck to tow it. I would have a letter from them authorizing me to take it into the US temporarily. For my parents’ purposes I just need to return it to them before May so it gives me lots of options to come back for a visit, quarantine as necessary and return their vehicle. My husband would fly to the US side of wherever I cross (Buffalo or Detroit area crossings - really I could do any POE in southern Ontario) and help me drive the rest of the way.  

That part sounds good, what I’m worried about is having to leave my three medium/large dogs in the truck while I go inside for secondary to have all my paperwork processed. Thoughts on how to handle this? 

I don’t think your husband would have to self isolate for a full 14 days, my provinces restrictions say that if you aren’t staying for a full 14 days to just self isolate for the time that you’re in the country. My plan was have my husband drive up and self isolate in the hotel room for the one or two nights he’ll be in Canada, however long until we drive back down to America 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dbrennan said:

I don’t think your husband would have to self isolate for a full 14 days, my provinces restrictions say that if you aren’t staying for a full 14 days to just self isolate for the time that you’re in the country. My plan was have my husband drive up and self isolate in the hotel room for the one or two nights he’ll be in Canada, however long until we drive back down to America 

He has crossed into Canada twice since these restrictions. The second time he told border officials he hoped to stay 1 to 2 weeks but would quarantine the whole time (we were entering together and I’d be staying on for several months), and they told him if he was not intending to stay for 15 days his trip was not essential and he would be denied entry. We had to prove he could stay for a full 15 days. Once we did that the officer said, if something comes up he could leave but he must go directly to the border.  Based on this interaction we are very nervous to have him enter and leave before his 15 days, afraid it will flag future travel to Canada. 

Hello All,

I am so excited to find this thread!

Congrats to those who received ILs last week! Good Luck!

I am totally new to this forum. I DQd in mid-September.  I have a couple of questions that

you experience people might be able to help me with:

1. I am a foreigner living in Vancouver.  I have a work permit. When my interview is scheduled,

I am planning to fly to Montreal and fly back home.  I just learned they keep your passports after

the interview, so I am wondering how I am going to fly back home without my passport. Can you guys

tell me how this is supposed to work out? As I am a foreigner, my passport is really only Government

issued photo ID I have. I have BC ID (MSP card), but it doesn't have a picture. Should I look into getting

BC picture ID before my interview?? Has any of you guys encountered this issue before?

2. My police certificate from my home country will be expiring soon. (They issue it with only 3 months validity)

Should I get a new one when it is expired? Or Should I waiit until my interview is scheduled?

Thank you all so much. Any advice and insight will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Magnolian

5 hours ago, rafale1973 said:

Well, technically his visa will expire in august 31, 2021. He stopped working in September and per say an USA citizen  en can stay in Canada 180 days on a passport.  And yes he has bank record in the USA. We are moving back to his parent house, which we have a notarized letter saying so. His drivers license is also stating the same address. 

So his visa will expire in August 2021? Then it’s  safe to say he’s in Canada legally, so that’s good. 

As for the domicile part, since I haven’t gone through interview I don’t feel like I’m the most reliable person to be giving advice. There are some good discussions on this forum about what to bring to prove domicile, but honestly I haven’t looked a ton my documents or touched any of that in months so I don’t really remember specifically what is needed. All I remember  is that it seemed important that my husband be living in the US at the time of my interview. 

Does anyone else else have any advice on this situation?

On 9/22/2020 at 11:15 AM, AnkitShah20 said:

Does applied for status count as legal? She has filed for work permit since June. But there is a such a big back log for that as well. 

Hi @AnkitShah

I am in similar situation as your wife. I DWs in mid-September I am a foreigner who have Canadian

work permit, and I live in Vancouver. My work permit will be expiring early June. I have applied for

PR about 9 months ago, but it is still being processed and everything is delayed due to covid situation.

I was wondering if you guys have found out how one can get their interview done while with 'implied status'

(status one has legal status expired in Canada, but applied for a new status such as PR).

I am very worried about my work permit expiring before my interview is scheduled. Can you please

let me know if you have found out anything about this? Thank you so much!

13 minutes ago, Magnolian said:

Hello All,

I am totally new to this forum. I DQd in mid-September.  I have a couple of questions that

1. I am a foreigner living in Vancouver.  I have a work permit. When my interview is scheduled,

I am planning to fly to Montreal and fly back home.  I just learned they keep your passports after

the interview, so I am wondering how I am going to fly back home without my passport. Can you guys

tell me how this is supposed to work out? As I am a foreigner, my passport is really only Government

issued photo ID I have. I have BC ID (MSP card), but it doesn't have a picture. Should I look into getting

BC picture ID before my interview?? Has any of you guys encountered this issue before?

2. My police certificate from my home country will be expiring soon. (They issue it with only 3 months validity)

Should I get a new one when it is expired? Or Should I waiit until my interview is scheduled?

I can’t see speak to the government ID situation but as someone who was DQed in June and don’t expect an interview until at least March, I would advise waiting to get a new criminal record check until later. It also depends how long it takes for them to come from your home country as well. Hope that helps!

Edited by Prairiegirl3

6 minutes ago, Prairiegirl3 said:

I can’t see speak to the government ID situation but as someone who was DQed in June and don’t expect an interview until at least March, I would advise waiting to get a new criminal record check until later. It also depends how long it takes for them to come from your home country as well. Hope that helps!

Hi @Prairiegirl3Thanks! I DQs in mid-Sep. Do you think I should expect to receive IL in March, or April??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Magnolian said:

Hello All,

You’ll need another form of Canadian ID to get back home

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/cntr-trrrsm/pssngr-prtct/dcmnts-en.aspx

Usually you have at least 3 weeks notice for your interview but my husband only has 2.. so keep in mind you may not have time to get another pcc when you get your interview letter. 

Edited by SASAS

8 minutes ago, Magnolian said:

Hi @Prairiegirl3Thanks! I DQs in mid-Sep. Do you think I should expect to receive IL in March, or April??

It's really hard to say. Have you taken a look at the data spreadsheet which shows how many ILs are sent out, to whom, and when? If you take a look at that then you will have a bit more information on how quickly the consulate has been sending out letters. But since they started back up in August it's been really sporadic and unpredictable. That's why I say I don't expect to see an IL for myself until AT LEAST March/April, because there's no way to really accurately predict it at this point, and it could end up being May or June. Nobody really knows at this point. My best advice is stay in contact with the community here for updates as time moves forward and you may be able to make a better prediction in a couple of months. Hopefully. 

Also the data spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LvnDvX95_tfWtTvsJJM49PDPPvPKal0WG2rgdZHhsz0/edit#gid=255923754

8 minutes ago, Prairiegirl3 said:

It's really hard to say. Have you taken a look at the data spreadsheet which shows how many ILs are sent out, to whom, and when? If you take a look at that then you will have a bit more information on how quickly the consulate has been sending out letters. But since they started back up in August it's been really sporadic and unpredictable. That's why I say I don't expect to see an IL for myself until AT LEAST March/April, because there's no way to really accurately predict it at this point, and it could end up being May or June. Nobody really knows at this point. My best advice is stay in contact with the community here for updates as time moves forward and you may be able to make a better prediction in a couple of months. Hopefully. 

Also the data spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LvnDvX95_tfWtTvsJJM49PDPPvPKal0WG2rgdZHhsz0/edit#gid=255923754

Thank you very much. I will keep looking for updates here.

11 minutes ago, SASAS said:

You’ll need another form of Canadian ID to get back home

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/cntr-trrrsm/pssngr-prtct/dcmnts-en.aspx

Usually you have at least 3 weeks notice for your interview but my husband only has 2.. so keep in mind you may not have time to get another pcc when you get your interview letter. 

Thank you very much.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Magnolian said:

Hi @AnkitShah

I am in similar situation as your wife. I DWs in mid-September I am a foreigner who have Canadian

work permit, and I live in Vancouver. My work permit will be expiring early June. I have applied for

PR about 9 months ago, but it is still being processed and everything is delayed due to covid situation.

I was wondering if you guys have found out how one can get their interview done while with 'implied status'

(status one has legal status expired in Canada, but applied for a new status such as PR).

I am very worried about my work permit expiring before my interview is scheduled. Can you please

let me know if you have found out anything about this? Thank you so much!

Hi @Magnolian, my wife recently received her work permit. It took about 4.5 - 5 months for it to be processed and mailed to us. In regards to your PR situation, I am not sure how long that procedure will take. But I would think the best option would be to upload your PR application confirmation to NVC. This would at least show you have applied for it and it is in progress. Also, you have some time before your interview. Let’s hope your PR is processed before that. I hope this helps. 

19 minutes ago, AnkitShah20 said:

Hi @Magnolian, my wife recently received her work permit. It took about 4.5 - 5 months for it to be processed and mailed to us. In regards to your PR situation, I am not sure how long that procedure will take. But I would think the best option would be to upload your PR application confirmation to NVC. This would at least show you have applied for it and it is in progress. Also, you have some time before your interview. Let’s hope your PR is processed before that. I hope this helps. 

Thanks for your message @AnkitShah  I DQd back in September. I am now waiting for my interview scheduled at the Montreal embassy.

Have you guys done your interview?

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Magnolian said:

Thanks for your message @AnkitShah  I DQd back in September. I am now waiting for my interview scheduled at the Montreal embassy.

Have you guys done your interview?

Hi, we are DQd backed in August. Still waiting for the interview. Hopeful of getting the interview maybe in February or March if things go well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.