Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, canadavisa22 said:

Ok thank you.

So to confirm, if a family member visits, it's not just them that is subject to quarantine but the entire household, right?

No it depends on the circumstances and how you set up the household. I looked up the federal guidelines on it and confirmed with an agent on their phone number. It might have changed since but basically if they have their own bed and bathroom and maintain physical distance the entire time you do not have to. Always better to confirm from the source rather than through second hand knowledge though.

3 hours ago, jackanddeona said:

No it depends on the circumstances and how you set up the household. I looked up the federal guidelines on it and confirmed with an agent on their phone number. It might have changed since but basically if they have their own bed and bathroom and maintain physical distance the entire time you do not have to. Always better to confirm from the source rather than through second hand knowledge though.

I second this! When I came home from visiting my husband they asked me if I live with anyone else (I live with my step sisters and dad) and they said if you live with anyone else, try your best to keep as much distance as possible (use a bathroom designated to you only, stay in your bedroom etc) I would say look at what your provincial guidelines are, or call health links (not sure if health links is a Manitoba only thing or if there are equivalencies for other provinces)

Timeline
17 hours ago, wordsfromdani said:

Mine updated 1-2 business days after our "upgrade to IR1" and case was 'At NVC' when we leveled up.

My CEAC account updated automatically the visa class from CR1 to IR1 around the 2 year anniversary date. 

Timeline
19 hours ago, Kimchi said:

“Upgraded” to the IR-1 today. Does anybody know if your CEAC account should automatically reflect the change? It is still showing CR-1. 

My CEAC account updated automatically the visa class from CR1 to IR1 around the 2 year anniversary date. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, Hadarah said:

Yep - my visa has my married name on it, and my passport only has my married name. At the time we applied for the visa I had already changed everything over, driver's license and everything. So all my ID was in my married name and there wasn't any confusion. But don't worry if your SSN is in your madien name, you can easily get it changed, just let them issue it either way. Most of the time you don't show the card anywhere you just have the number memorized. You may have to show it to open a bank account, and in that case, if it's still in your maiden name, just show your marriage certificate too and you'll be fine. That's what I had to do in order to open a a bank account before my SSN arrived in my married name.

The issue is that the SSN has to be in the visa name, then everything else (DL, bank account, etc) will be in the same name. Or if I manage to open a bank account in my married name and everything else is in my maiden name, including my GC, it’ll look like it’s two different people. I guess I could just pay the 500$ to change my GC but it’s a pain.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, Kimchi said:

I just looked at your timeline - crazy that it only took 229 days from noa1 to interview. 
I’m on day 689 and still no interview. 😫

That was a long time ago. Back then some people were getting through the USCIS in a month or two and others were stuck for over a year. They had just opened the NBC who were quickly overwhelmed and spit everything out to local centers.  Canada was one of the few with electronic processing which is different from now. Back then Montreal gave you an interview date really quickly. But Vancouver was still processing K1. Since that has stopped we’ve seen an increase in wait times for interviews. I think they’re overwhelmed personally and if there was a way to request at least K1 to go to Vancouver or Calgary it would improve wait times. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, Rose__ said:

The issue is that the SSN has to be in the visa name, then everything else (DL, bank account, etc) will be in the same name. Or if I manage to open a bank account in my married name and everything else is in my maiden name, including my GC, it’ll look like it’s two different people. I guess I could just pay the 500$ to change my GC but it’s a pain.

No you can use your marriage certificate to change your SSN and all the rest of your ID. It doesn’t have to match the green card. You just need proof of the legal usage of that surname.  You can change the green card at ROC. 

But there has been several times I have to sign paperwork showing Nik L R is the same as Nik R is the same as N L R etc.   generally at the DMV. Lmao. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
34 minutes ago, NikLR said:

That was a long time ago. Back then some people were getting through the USCIS in a month or two and others were stuck for over a year. They had just opened the NBC who were quickly overwhelmed and spit everything out to local centers.  Canada was one of the few with electronic processing which is different from now. Back then Montreal gave you an interview date really quickly. But Vancouver was still processing K1. Since that has stopped we’ve seen an increase in wait times for interviews. I think they’re overwhelmed personally and if there was a way to request at least K1 to go to Vancouver or Calgary it would improve wait times. 

Gosh! I wonder what genius decided to move K1 to Montreal as well. They really should look back into opening up Vancouver again...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, NikLR said:

No you can use your marriage certificate to change your SSN and all the rest of your ID. It doesn’t have to match the green card. You just need proof of the legal usage of that surname.  You can change the green card at ROC. 

But there has been several times I have to sign paperwork showing Nik L R is the same as Nik R is the same as N L R etc.   generally at the DMV. Lmao. 

Okay, thank you for sharing your experience!! I understand the process better now. I have the 10yr GC so next step would be citizenship and passport in my married name I guess.

I did send in my marriage certificate with my SSN application, along with a letter asking them to use my married name or at least a hyphenated version. Hopefully they can :) 

Timeline
14 hours ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

What a disappointing week so far! No new interviews again. 😭

Government office were closed today (Wednesday) including Montreal embassy. So hopefully something tomorrow.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Skaur0609 said:

Government office were closed today (Wednesday) including Montreal embassy. So hopefully something tomorrow.

Did anyone recieve an IL today?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.