laylalex

They look white but say they're black: a tiny town in Ohio wrestles with race

64 posts in this topic

This is so, so interesting -- I watched a short video on this last night and I'm fascinated by the history.

The pale woman with frizzy grey-streaked hair commands her on-and-off partner of over 20 years, Jimmy – who is from one of the few white families in East Jackson – to fetch her purse. He plops it on to her lap; she struggles to get at an old piece of paper folded up in her wallet. She slowly unfolds it to present her birth certificate.

“Negro”, it reads, next to each of her parents’ names. She looks up triumphantly, victory in her periwinkle eyes. “It’s a legal document,” she says.

The last known full-blooded black person in her family was her great-great-grandfather Thomas Byrd, her parents told her. Photos of them, who both look white, adorn the wooden walls on either side of Shreck’s chair. Their stares follow her throughout their former home. They are the ones who told her she was black.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/25/race-east-jackson-ohio-appalachia-white-black

Indeed lineage and DNA are interesting, LARPing however is not. If one can't prove to be something they don't look like, through DNA, proof from one's lineage, they have no business putting it on official documents. One's race is also clearly the majority of what they are, not some McMenu of choices where one is 60% white, 30% hispanic, 5% black, and they put down black. They are white. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Indeed lineage and DNA are interesting, LARPing however is not. If one can't prove to be something they don't look like, through DNA, proof from one's lineage, they have no business putting it on official documents. One's race is also clearly the majority of what they are, not some McMenu of choices where one is 60% white, 30% hispanic, 5% black, and they put down black. They are white. 

What race is president Obama?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Whatever his official documents say. I can tell you it doesn't say Chinese, Asian, or Hispanic.

What official documents are those? His birth certificate says his mother is caucasian and his father african.

my only really close black friend who I trust with my life is white

Timeline
4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I doubt very seriously you've ever seen his birth certificate; rather, the reproduction thereof.

So the PDF on the Whitehouse site is not a copy of the original?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

I'm sure you can utilize search engines or your imagination to figure out which documentation would list his race.

Using your formula:

what race would a person with a black mother and a white father be?