Jose&Jeff

Conditional Green Card has application date instead of approval date

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

I searched to see if anyone had the same problem, but I couldn't find any topic.

I was talking with a friend about green cards and when we needed to apply for removal of conditions and I realized that my green card has the dates for residency and expiration based on the dates I sent the package and my friend had the dates based on when the petition was approved. I tried to find what dates would be correct and it seems that mine is wrong.

Does anyone know if this happened before and what was done to solve the problem? I do not want to apply for ROC on a wrong date. I also used the green card for employment and driver's license and I do not want to be accused of any illegal activity, but I just learned know that my card may be wrong. I tried to contact USCIS but had no success. 

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any help you can give.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Sounds like USCIS made a mistake on your card.  Your "Resident Since" date should the date your Adjustment of Status was approved.  You should file an I-90 to get the card corrected.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

28 minutes ago, Jose&Jeff said:

Hello everyone, 

I searched to see if anyone had the same problem, but I couldn't find any topic.

I was talking with a friend about green cards and when we needed to apply for removal of conditions and I realized that my green card has the dates for residency and expiration based on the dates I sent the package and my friend had the dates based on when the petition was approved. I tried to find what dates would be correct and it seems that mine is wrong.

Does anyone know if this happened before and what was done to solve the problem? I do not want to apply for ROC on a wrong date. I also used the green card for employment and driver's license and I do not want to be accused of any illegal activity, but I just learned know that my card may be wrong. I tried to contact USCIS but had no success. 

Yeah your dates are incorrect and  it happens more often than you would think. Call them and correct it. so you called them and what did the  Mcdonald Level 1 customer service say ? 

Edited by James120383

duh

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

You will have to file I-90 to replace the green card. You won’t have to pay a fee since it’s uscis mistake. I have to warn you though it’ll be a long wait and I’d recommend filing it on paper. I filed mine online and it’s been a year already and I still have the original card. You are supposed to send it back to them but they haven’t requested it yet. The sooner you file the better and just make sure you have your driver’s lisence, work situation (I’m talking about I-9 the document you have to show when you are hired and shows your legal status) and social security card figured out. If you need to travel you might not be able to without the green card because it’s very hard to get an infopass appointment right now 

On 9/8/2020 at 4:56 PM, Jose&Jeff said:

Hello everyone, 

Hi, exact same issue happened to me here. They've made this mistake many times with people. You need to file I-90. If you click back in my post history, you'll find my own thread about my experience.

But here's a summary of what happened with mine:

I received my GC in October 2018 and they made the exact same mistake. I filed I-90 by paper and sent my physical card in with the form (you have the option of filing online; the problem with this is that you need to send in your physical GC and if you file online, they will send you an RFE for the card). BEFORE I filed the I-90, I made a photocopy of my incorrect GC to keep for my records. Also, the I-90 will have no filing fee because it's free if USCIS/DHS made the mistake (which they obviously did here). I requested an expedite, which was originally denied. I then reached out to my senator's office. The I-90 processing times are unfortunately long but somehow, a month later, I got the notification that my I-90 was approved and a new correct GC was mailed to me by the end of December 2018.

I would strongly suggest going to your USCIS field office to get the I-1551 stamp after you file the I-90 and get the receipt notice as well. I know it's hard right now with COVID but the stamp is the same thing as the GC. So having it will be imperative for anything employment-related or for identification etc. DM me if you've got any questions and I'll try to help.

1 hour ago, Alan&Alice said:

You will have to file I-90 to replace the green card. You won’t have to pay a fee since it’s uscis mistake. I have to warn you though it’ll be a long wait and I’d recommend filing it on paper. I filed mine online and it’s been a year already and I still have the original card. You are supposed to send it back to them but they haven’t requested it yet. The sooner you file the better and just make sure you have your driver’s lisence, work situation (I’m talking about I-9 the document you have to show when you are hired and shows your legal status) and social security card figured out. If you need to travel you might not be able to without the green card because it’s very hard to get an infopass appointment right now 

Omg wait so your I-90 has been pending this whole time and they still haven't sent an RFE requesting your incorrect card?? T___T Why are they so slooow?!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Same thing happened to my GC. It has the incorrect date. I did an online filing last month. I had my DL and SS card updated though. 

I received a reply from USCIS that I donkt need to do any biometrics. I also received an online update that USCIS would take action on my request within 5 months.

Should I still do paper-filing?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.