2,966 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, ponak98 said:

Thanks @Stillwinning!!!😊 you are awesome.

just to ensure and apologies for asking: the tax returns were not submitted as part of I-485 and thought it’s not needed to submit them or take to the interview. I did submit joint tax return when was filing I130/485 wth ex abusive spouse). Did officer asked for them and reviewed them during your interview? How meticulous are they? My tax returns a bit messed up bc of divorce. 

I have similar concerns...

I got my first EAD around August 2018 and no tax returns for 2018

I did my tax return for 2019 which is very little.

And now I'm unemployed due to covid and getting unemployment.

How do you guys think this would affect me? 

Please share your thoughts with me 😕 my interview is in a week.

@Stillwinning!!!😊 @sandranj @Pinkrlion @Demise @TBoneTX @Villanelle

Edited by GreenB

28 minutes ago, GreenB said:

You'll be fine.

Regarding taxes: They only want your taxes for the last 3 or 5 years when it comes to naturalization and regarding AOS where I-944 is required, in this case it's not required.

Regarding unemployment: Unemployment is funded from your taxes and it's not a public charge. Even if it was, VAWA applicants are exempt from that ground of inadmissibility.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

6 minutes ago, Demise said:

You'll be fine.

Regarding taxes: They only want your taxes for the last 3 or 5 years when it comes to naturalization and regarding AOS where I-944 is required, in this case it's not required.

Regarding unemployment: Unemployment is funded from your taxes and it's not a public charge. Even if it was, VAWA applicants are exempt from that ground of inadmissibility.

Thank you for quick responding :) 

I'm curious then... if we are not required to show taxes for AOS interview then why are we advised to take taxes with us? I suppose some officers ask so people here suggest we should take our tax documents with us. 

And what if the officer asks me? What am I gonna say?

6 minutes ago, GreenB said:

Thank you for quick responding :) 

I'm curious then... if we are not required to show taxes for AOS interview then why are we advised to take taxes with us? I suppose some officers ask so people here suggest we should take our tax documents with us. 

And what if the officer asks me? What am I gonna say?

"Didn't meet the income requirement" or "Didn't work that year so I didn't file them".

Edited by Demise

11 minutes ago, Demise said:

"Didn't meet the income requirement" or "Didn't work that year so I didn't file them".

Thank you for proper answering ideas :) Preparation should help for anxiety 🙈

Another question....

I sent my I485 in 2018. And I worked in 4 different places since then. And they are not in my submitted  I485. How will I pass this new info to the officer? Am I supposed to fill out a new most recent I485? Or should I put these 4 different workplaces on a paper and hand it to them and they update it in the system? How does this part of the interview work?

Dear VJ friends

I have interview tomorrow morning. but I feel so nervous about it. for my completed situation, I hired one attorney to come with me to the interview. I thought every thing would be okay, but she said my children's AOS interviews should be denied because they are not eligible to apply green card. I was shocked for this answer because I applied to my children by my own during my VAWA was pending, my VAWA case was approved. Do they not eligible to apply to green card before my I-485 approved? Also she said I need to answer simply and truthful every question that IO asks on interview. Even they ask about abuse that she does not has power to stops IO to asks me and I need to answer about it. 

I feel like very scared of interview because she said my baby would causes a issue that make IO questions about my marriage and think if it was real marriage. 

as I posted here before,my youngest baby is not ex abusive husband's child. I did write a letter to tell the truth to UICIS and willing to give it to IO tomorrow. 

Also she questioned if I have form I-192 for overstay issue but I never filed it. 

I list my timeline as below if anyone wants to know. 

7/10/2018 , Applied I-360, I-485, I-765, I-864w, I-912. received by VSC with help of lawyer

September 2018 received a prima facie.

11/26/2018, applied I-485, I-765 for my children and received EAD cards and made SSNs to them on June 2019.

renewed once my EAD card and my Children's EAD cards

3/16/2020,  VAWA was approved .  C31 card was in hand in JAN 2020.

asked congressman for injury in 09/30/2020. 

10/15/2020 interview  

I am very thankful for stillwinning, Sandra, etc kindly help to each one of us in this forum. I hope all applications in here get approved. 

Thank you for your time. 

28 minutes ago, jacobamanda63 said:

Dear VJ friends

I have interview tomorrow morning. but I feel so nervous about it. for my completed situation, I hired one attorney to come with me to the interview. I thought every thing would be okay, but she said my children's AOS interviews should be denied because they are not eligible to apply green card. I was shocked for this answer because I applied to my children by my own during my VAWA was pending, my VAWA case was approved. Do they not eligible to apply to green card before my I-485 approved? Also she said I need to answer simply and truthful every question that IO asks on interview. Even they ask about abuse that she does not has power to stops IO to asks me and I need to answer about it. 

I feel like very scared of interview because she said my baby would causes a issue that make IO questions about my marriage and think if it was real marriage. 

as I posted here before,my youngest baby is not ex abusive husband's child. I did write a letter to tell the truth to UICIS and willing to give it to IO tomorrow. 

Also she questioned if I have form I-192 for overstay issue but I never filed it. 

7/10/2018 , Applied I-360, I-485, I-765, I-864w, I-912. received by VSC with help of lawyer

11/26/2018, applied I-485, I-765 for my children and received EAD cards and made SSNs to them on June 2019.

10/15/2020 interview  

I am very thankful for stillwinning, Sandra, etc kindly help to each one of us in this forum. I hope all applications in here get approved. 

Thank you for your time. 

Get a better lawyer because this one is a dumpster fire.

1. VAWA derivatives are able to adjust on the same terms as the principal, meaning that things like an EWI, overstay, illegal employment, possibly being a public charge, etc are not a factor. Unless your kids are criminals there's no apparent reason for why they'd be denied.

2. I-192 is outright the wrong form for three (!) reasons:

a. The form is used for non-immigrant visa waivers, I-601 is generally used for immigrant visa waivers

b. Overstay/EWI is not a factor in VAWA cases

c. The 10 year bar associated with overstaying only triggers if you depart the US and you're not an LPR. Even if you did depart, VAWA comes with a special provision that if you can connect the overstay to the abuse you can get it waived without needing anything aside a statement attached to the I-485.

3. USCIS agents are not supposed to ask about the details of the abuse. They may ask regarding the bona fides (i.e. whether the marriage was legit or not) if something's fishy but abuse part is solely the job of VSC. Yeah the lawyer can't stop but they can still interject, argue, and demand a manager or a different agent if the interview goes off the rails. As is you're basically paying just for the lawyer to sit there pretty.

Regarding the kid, if you cheated then this might cause some serious question into the bona fides of the marriage. If the kid was conceived after you two split up then you should be fine. The statute only really prohibits remarriage until the I-360 is approved, but nothing legally prevents you from sleeping with someone else in the meantime.

Edited by Demise

1 hour ago, GreenB said:

I believe Sandra has assured you previously that if the tax return is very low, you do not need to bother...all you have to do is explain it away..you will not be penalized in any form. Your petition will still be approved.👍

55 minutes ago, jacobamanda63 said:

Dear VJ friends

10/15/2020 interview  

Thank you for your time. 

Is this a paid attorney?😳 I'm trying to make sense of his purpose..looks like you're better off by yourself with a little confidence boost. Your interview is tomorrow? You reached out a little too late..I'll rather wish you well than bore you with legal jagons that will further leave you perplexed! Half of what your attorney is saying and suggesting is #######! I sincerely hope you're not paying! I overstayed myself..no issues at my interview! If they ask about the baby let them know when it happened..answer confidently but politely. I pray you get a humane officer who wouldn't want to stress you out. Yes they ideally aren't supposed to re-adjudicate the i360 as it's approved obviously but some do and when they do you can politely decline saying it brings back hurtful memories..but hey if it's something you can handle without breaking down..then answer. You sound rattled..I don't blame you for it..just be confident like I advised earlier. I wish you heaven's best hon!🙏🌹👍

1 hour ago, GreenB said:

Another question....

I sent my I485 in 2018. And I worked in 4 different places since then. And they are not in my submitted  I485. How will I pass this new info to the officer? Am I supposed to fill out a new most recent I485? Or should I put these 4 different workplaces on a paper and hand it to them and they update it in the system? How does this part of the interview work?

You can straighten things out at your interview. Come clean. Answer questions truthfully without being flippant.👍

1 hour ago, GreenB said:

Another question....

If they ask, tell them, but they probably won't even ask. No, you do not give them an amended I-485 or anything of the like, the form has to be only correct as of the day you send it out and obviously over 2 years things will change.

Honestly I'm not even sure why they ask this question.

Edited by Demise

2 hours ago, ponak98 said:

Thanks @Stillwinning!!!😊 you are awesome.

just to ensure and apologies for asking: the tax returns were not submitted as part of I-485 and thought it’s not needed to submit them or take to the interview. I did submit joint tax return when was filing I130/485 wth ex abusive spouse). Did officer asked for them and reviewed them during your interview? How meticulous are they? My tax returns a bit messed up bc of divorce. 

Yes the officer asked for it..be sure to go with them(3yrs recent tax docs). Explain your concerns to the officer. The interview serves many purposes..it sure straightens and brings clarity to issues. Don't be too anxious or worried..confidence helps.👍😊

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, GreenB said:

It will not affect you at all.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.