2,966 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
On 10/2/2020 at 4:59 PM, Lovelyday said:

Thank you @Stillwinning!!!😊 :)  Would you say I should bring my lease, employment letter and etc. for reentry..? (I'm not in removal proceedings, no pending asylum case, and no criminal charges!) Also, should I provide both c09 and c31? Thank you so much for your help!

the C31 card is ONLY work authorization. It does not have any travel privileges. The C09 card can be a combo card- both work and travel. Everyone needs to look at their EAD card.  You can check the link below where HRQX posted a picture of a combo card. Your card must say at the bottom "Serves as I-512 Advance Parole".  It is possible to have a c09 EAD card that is only work authorization. So PLEASE CHECK YOUR CARD. To travel using it it must say it serves as advance parole. 

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Ylx said:

Hi family! Hope everybody is doing ok and more approvals in our way!

I have a question I live in California I already have my EAD C31 and due on march 2021 and right now im preparing my stuff for the renewal ( also know there is a delay from USCIS on deliver the renewal cards), I'm looking for have my driver license ( btw im 40 and never had driver before so will be interesting the driving school), so as in california we have the AB60 law ( allow illegal aliens to have a DL)  Im wandering if I can apply under that law because if I use my EAD as a proof of legal document my DL will be valid only until my EAD Expire... What you guys recommend ? THX

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/resources/ab_60_4_27_15.pdf This link may be outdated. From a quick google search of the topic though I would avoid getting the AB60 if you can qualify for the 'standard' license. The AB60 seems like it can not be used for lots of things- planes, ID getting into USCIS offices, there was even some stuff I saw about it not being valid to drive in other states! It also seems to cause additional issues if you are using it for the i9 e-verify stuff. So again, IMO if you can get a standard license- even if you have to go renew it sooner, its probably worth it to avoid the hassles having a AB60 license would cause. 

17 hours ago, GreenB said:

Hey everyone, I have a question... Do we need to file an I-601 for AOS Interview?

I was out of status (basically illegal) when I filed my VAWA application. I came here as a student but my marriage was a big mistake obviously. I also worked without work permit before getting my EAD.

I-601 .... Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility

@Stillwinning!!!😊 @sandranj

Unless you have some other ban like a CIMT, immigration fraud, alien smuggling, communicable disease, or somehow have a 10 year bar that you managed to skirt around with a 212(d)(3) waiver for a non-immigrant visa or got admitted in error by CBP, or have the permanent bar for an unlawful re-entry then no.

The 3 and 10 year bars for unlawful presence does not trigger unless you overstay for more than 180 days AND leave the US, if you never left there's no bar.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

12 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/resources/ab_60_4_27_15.pdf This link may be outdated. From a quick google search of the topic though I would avoid getting the AB60 if you can qualify for the 'standard' license. The AB60 seems like it can not be used for lots of things- planes, ID getting into USCIS offices, there was even some stuff I saw about it not being valid to drive in other states! It also seems to cause additional issues if you are using it for the i9 e-verify stuff. So again, IMO if you can get a standard license- even if you have to go renew it sooner, its probably worth it to avoid the hassles having a AB60 license would cause. 

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I have an approved VAWA case. My Birth certificate is in Arabic and on my birth Certificate my name mention is the first name of my father for example my name is "Roger George" and my father name is "Chris George" they mentioned in the birth certificate as " Roger Chris" because in the Arabic culture they mentioned like that but every where in my passport ,my divers license and my educational decree etc. my name is " Roger George" so my question is that if the IO will ask me about my birth certificate with translation will this be an issue over there or it will be ok if I will explain to the IO that my actual name is" Roger George" as evident on all my passport, my drivers license and on my educational decree etc. 

Need some advice as feeling pressure.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
1 hour ago, Braveheart123 said:

I have an approved VAWA case. My Birth certificate is in Arabic and on my birth Certificate my name mention is the first name of my father for example my name is "Roger George" and my father name is "Chris George" they mentioned in the birth certificate as " Roger Chris" because in the Arabic culture they mentioned like that but every where in my passport ,my divers license and my educational decree etc. my name is " Roger George" so my question is that if the IO will ask me about my birth certificate with translation will this be an issue over there or it will be ok if I will explain to the IO that my actual name is" Roger George" as evident on all my passport, my drivers license and on my educational decree etc. 

Need some advice as feeling pressure.

So I had the exact same issue only that my birth certificate was already in English(in your case you’ll have to get a translated copy). As per my culture we add endearing names like “princess” “prince” before the name of a child and in my case my name was “princess XYZ” lol. So what I did per @sandranj’s advice was to get a notarized letter written by either parent saying that me and the person with the alibi is one and the same person. Attached passport and birth certificate copies to the notarized document and took it to my interview. It was accepted and all went well. You should not panic and do the same. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Strife said:

So I had the exact same issue only that my birth certificate was already in English(in your case you’ll have to get a translated copy). As per my culture we add endearing names like “princess” “prince” before the name of a child and in my case my name was “princess XYZ” lol. So what I did per @sandranj’s advice was to get a notarized letter written by either parent saying that me and the person with the alibi is one and the same person. Attached passport and birth certificate copies to the notarized document and took it to my interview. It was accepted and all went well. You should not panic and do the same. 

I have send you the pm please respond 

Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing well. What advice would you give to someone who has not received any updates/news from USCIS - yet, for the I-485 application timeline for my borough in NYC they are already processing October 2017. My application was received in August 2017. 

Is it a good idea to be proactive and make a case inquiry with the USCIS or write a letter to the Vermont Service Center. Should I contact my Congressman? I’m not sure what to do. I filed 1-360, I-765 &

I-485 in August 2017 and my VAWA was approved on March 2019. I’m in NYC. 

I’m uncertain about what next steps to take. Given that there was already a backlog in cases previously which has only intensified with Covid-19 - what is the best course of action to take? 

My EAD expires in March 2020. I think I can only apply 90 days in advance. I hope that if I file for EAD extension in Jan, I can get the receipt notice in a timely manner. 

I would appreciate any advice or feedback from you guys. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. 🙏

Have a good night. 

17 minutes ago, RD31 said:

Hello, can anyone recommend some experienced vawa lawyers? We have our i360 filed in September 2019. But we are just not satisfied with our attorney’s service due to poor communication from his end. 

I would go with the resident attorney sandra here. Her username is @sandranj

40 minutes ago, namastenyc said:

Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing well. What advice would you give to someone who has not received any updates/news from USCIS - yet, for the I-485 application timeline for my borough in NYC they are already processing October 2017. My application was received in August 2017. 

Is it a good idea to be proactive and make a case inquiry with the USCIS or write a letter to the Vermont Service Center. Should I contact my Congressman? I’m not sure what to do. I filed 1-360, I-765 &

I’m uncertain about what next steps to take. Given that there was already a backlog in cases previously which has only intensified with Covid-19 - what is the best course of action to take? 

My EAD expires in March 2020. I think I can only apply 90 days in advance. I hope that if I file for EAD extension in Jan, I can get the receipt notice in a timely manner. 

I would appreciate any advice or feedback from you guys. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. 🙏

Have a good night. 

Hi @sandranj - I would really appreciate your input regarding this matter based on your observations and experience. Thank you! 🙏 

Timeline
3 hours ago, namastenyc said:

Have a good night. 

Get your congressman involved 

Timeline
2 hours ago, RD31 said:

Hello, can anyone recommend some experienced vawa lawyers? We have our i360 filed in September 2019. But we are just not satisfied with our attorney’s service due to poor communication from his end. 

@sandranj is the best VAWA lawyer I know. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.