2,966 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
30 minutes ago, 2020filer said:

Hi Everyone! I am writing to report back from my initial marriage interview - maybe helpful to some. 

I no longer live in NY so I came in to the city just for the reason of the interview. Had to take 2 days off my work but its ok. I walked in and got a ticket, the interview was supposed to be at 8:50 am. I have an attorney for my VAWA case and she said she will appear telephonically and told me to give them the package and the attorney representation form. Well, its about 11 am now and I am waiting. Do not got to inquire about my ticket since I was scared to be "noisy" you know. Be patient with immigration they say. Sat there for a while until 3 hours have passed and I went to the window to ask. They said they issued a wrong ticket and notified the supervisor, in about 30 mins I was interviewed. I handled the officer my package and said my attorney is appearing telephonically. They looked at the form and said they cant call the lawyer since they didn't sign the form. I looked at it and indeed my attorney forgot to sign the form. I texted the attorney and they said to look into the VAWA package and there is a signed copy of the form. The officer said they don't accept the copies. Although later, my lawyer sent me a USCIS statement that copies of signatures are acceptable during Corona. The officer said that they are proceeding to the interview without a lawyer. I was so scared. He started asking me marriage based questions. He was asking details of our neighborhood, his info, parents etc...Then the asked about the abuse part with "what happened" and "how was he abusive". I started describing and started CRYING. (I always do when someone asks about it) I also cry through my therapy sessions when asked. Anyways, I couldn't continue speaking and he said "let's continue with easier questions" and was asking basic date questions and typical I485 questions. I was there for a while. When I got out, he went to take a copy of my passport (not sure why) and then let me out. I asked him to hold my 485 and he said yes. Not sure what all this torture was for. Called my lawyer afterwards and she said she will contact his supervisor etc etc and I told her not to to not made them mad and cancel my 485. She said she wouldn't (don't know about that) I think this is a total mistake on the part of the lawyers. It didn't occur to me to look to check if they gave me the right signed copy, was just not thinking about their signatures but they should have known... 

Anyways, because of 3 hour wait and then the actual interview I missed my flight back. I was hysterically crying coming out and was shaking, I think I scared other immigrants, lol. I hoped I wouldn't cry during the interview. I hope I can start controlling it some time soon.

Wow! What a mess on the lawyers part, forgetting to sign the form!

But, you did very well and now that's behind you.

By the way, I think you have a right to refuse to continue without your lawyer present. All in all, am glad you did it and finished that part. 

Also if your wait goes beyond an hour your should go to the desk and inquire. Don't be afraid, especially if you have a flight to catch. See, if you asked earlier you would have found out sooner that they actually made a mistake with your ticket number. 

Sorry for all the mess. But now you can move on  to the next step!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Shroy123 said:

NBc

field office is Dallas

Hello, i am a Dallas filer as well. Applied for aos in Oct 2019 and waiting on interview. Looks like Dallas FO is currently processing Aug/Sep 2019 filers. Our turn could come by end of the year or early next year. In the meantime we can probably focus on job, kids etc and keep the days busy somehow 😊

5 hours ago, FeDaniela said:

You need to sent Copy of your I-360 approval notice, 2 passport style photo,  Copy of your current C31 EAD card, and payment fee $410.00  

Thank you so much! Yes, the lawyer ask me the 2 passport style photo as well, she didn’t say anything about copy of the current C31 and copy of Vawa approval but now I know it has to be included in the package, I’ll check on that! Thanks again 

1 minute ago, GodIsGood2 said:

Thank you so much! Yes, the lawyer ask me the 2 passport style photo as well, she didn’t say anything about copy of the current C31 and copy of Vawa approval but now I know it has to be included in the package, I’ll check on that! Thanks again 

Attorney usually have make copy of I-360 and EAD for their records, maybe this is why she only ask you for 2x passport Photo. 

1 hour ago, 2020filer said:

Yes this was the interview to tell them I filed VAWA. I don't know why they asked me so many questions. They asked typical marriage ones to make sure it wasn't fraud.. Idk what the purpose was at all. What should I do about the lawyers and them not signing the form? 

I went to my interview base of marriage in NYC too and they did not asked me any questions about abuse or husband they just hold it and said they will sent I-485 to Vermont. Your experience is scary but don't worry they did not cancel your I-485 which is good and can be use with I-360. Hope you are doing well everything will be in place. 

45 minutes ago, GodIsGood2 said:

Honestly, instructions say to send them in, but USCIS will just use photos from your biometrics for the EAD or Green Card.

Only time I've seen an RFE for pictures was in a case for a 11 year old kid, kids under 14 are exempt from needing to take biometrics.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

57 minutes ago, GodIsGood2 said:

You're free to do it however you like..or send it if you want..but like I said earlier..it's not needed as USCIS will use the photos on file! I have never sent any additional photo since I started my journey in 2017..they used the same picture from my first EAD and subsequent renewals on my green card as well! Best of luck!👍

Hello everyone,  I need your help.

I recieved two RFE today

First one from my local office, I went for interview a week ago without my Ex, I was interviewed and the immigration officer told me my case can't be approved until my Vawa is approved. 

I recieved a letter requesting for 

(1) Most recent 3 months of joint bank account, with letter stating when opened and when you were added.

(2) most recent 3 months of personal bank accounts. 

(3) Most recent pay stubs and a letter from your employer. 

Note: I told the officer about my new job which I started a week ago, because she asked about new changes. 

They gave me till January 9 to submit them else my case will be denied.  I was wondering why all these request when I already gave them all the evidence that I had.

Second RFE is from Vawa unit 

Evidence for good moral character.

I have my country Police report

A letter from my pastor.

This is my question, Do I need US Police report as well?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Risen

5 minutes ago, Risen said:

I recieved two RFE today

First one from my local office, I went for interview a week ago without my Ex, I was interviewed and the immigration officer told me my case can't be approved until my Vawa is approved. 

(1) Most recent 3 months of joint bank account, with letter stating when opened and when you were added.

Note: I told the officer about my new job which I started a week ago, because she asked about new changes.

A letter from my pastor.

This is my question, Do I need US Police report and well?

Thanks in advance.

Usually the RFE will inform you about that as well..mine did. They are very descriptive and explicit. Anyway if you were in the U.S. less than 3yrs before filing vawa then you should get the document from your home country or last residence and everywhere here you stayed 6months or more...If you were here more than three years before filing, then you only need the police clearance from here.👍

1 minute ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Usually the RFE will inform you about that as well..mine did. They are very descriptive and explicit. Anyway if you were in the U.S. less than 3yrs before filing vawa then you should get the document from your home country or last residence and everywhere here you stayed 6months or more...If you were here more than three years before filing, then you only need the police clearance from here.👍

Thank you for your quick response.  Am just a year living in USA. Does that means I can send only my country Police report ?.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Risen said:

I recieved two RFE today

They gave me till January 9 to submit them else my case will be denied.  I was wondering why all these request when I already gave them all the evidence that I had.

A letter from my pastor.

This is my question, Do I need US Police report as well?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you need a police report from each state you lived in for more than 6 months.  

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.