Steeleballz

Multiple boats sink during Trump Boat Parade on Lake Travis

25 posts in this topic

Multiple 911 calls were made Saturday afternoon regarding boats being in distress, some sinking at the ‘Trump Boat Parade’ that took place on Lake Travis, according to the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.

TCSO confirmed with CBS Austin that multiple boats were sinking, some in distress.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/multiple-boats-in-distress-sinking-at-trump-boat-parade-on-lake-travis

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hope everyone was wearing proper floatation vests.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Multiple 911 calls were made Saturday afternoon regarding boats being in distress, some sinking at the ‘Trump Boat Parade’ that took place on Lake Travis, according to the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.

TCSO confirmed with CBS Austin that multiple boats were sinking, some in distress.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/multiple-boats-in-distress-sinking-at-trump-boat-parade-on-lake-travisar

Are those whitecaps on that lake? Seriously people, those craft do not belong out in those conditions.  

2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/multiple-boats-in-distress-sinking-at-trump-boat-parade-on-lake-travis

I saw that but it did not say why. My guess is some home-made redneck boat like device with ample amounts of pbr.

Edited by Nature Boy 2.0

This is very sad, and one of the organizers said it was probably inevitable.

Mr. Salinas said he had seen boats of all sizes Saturday — from 60-foot yachts to eight-foot boats. Mixed with the number of boats headed in the same direction, their various sizes and the choppy water, Mr. Salinas said, accidents were bound to happen.

“You can have really great water one second, and it could get some pretty heavy swells in a matter of minutes,” he said. “Once boats get on a lake, mother nature has its own plans.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/05/us/Texas-boat-parade-trump.html

I'm not really a sailor but if accidents were bound to happen, why not call it off, postpone it to another date?

It could also be the fact that it was a spontaneous attempt to "break a world record", and despite the supposed safety precautions they take, events with a focus of world records in that time frame are going to be inherently more prone to issues like that. 

For me, the educational value would be interviewing those who lost their boats and asking them if it was still worth it.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Filed: Timeline

5 hours ago, laylalex said:

I'm not really a sailor but if accidents were bound to happen, why not call it off, postpone it to another date?

Is Voldy paying for your NYT subscription still?  You really need some sources with credibility.

4 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

It could also be the fact that it was a spontaneous attempt to "break a world record", and despite the supposed safety precautions they take, events with a focus of world records in that time frame are going to be inherently more prone to issues like that. 

For me, the educational value would be interviewing those who lost their boats and asking them if it was still worth it.

Won't even come close to last month's event.  And if you wish to see a world record, wait until Monday...

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Is Voldy paying for your NYT subscription still?  You really need some sources with credibility.

No, I pay for my own, thank you. :) I share it with Al. 

That it was in the NYT doesn't change the fact that an organizer of the event -- surely a Trump supporter? -- said these things. Really? I have to point this out?

Timeline
7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

LOL, you're not a boater, are you?

image.png.8f466006b053d6c7a89533af1a81cfb7.png

Yes, I have been around them all my life. This is the image I saw, it appears to be weather or wake, but a 17 foot craft has no business here. I don't have the story on what caused the conditions.

4 hours ago, CanAm1980 said:

Yes, I have been around them all my life. This is the image I saw, it appears to be weather or wake, but a 17 foot craft has no business here. I don't have the story on what caused the conditions.

I only asked because the article said it was waves, which cannot be predicted very far in advance to the day of boating.

Boats with Trump flags jetted across the lake for most of the day Saturday, but the wake became too much for some. Photos show rough water slamming one boat in the parade.

That's a good eye you have to specify it was a 17 footer from that picture.

17 hours ago, laylalex said:

Any boater knows that conditions can change very quickly on any body of water.  Especially the ocean, but nearly as much so on a large lake.  As I said above, it's not possible to predict boat wake from people not being cautious.  And yes, mixing large boats with small boats in close proximity is pretty risky overall.  I hope no one was a injured or died during the event.

We shall see what happens in Florida this weekend as regards boating.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I only asked because the article said it was waves, which cannot be predicted very far in advance to the day of boating.

That's a good eye you have to specify it was a 17 footer from that picture.

I guessed based a 6 foot beam estimated from the canopy.

A 20 foot craft shouldn't be that narrow. 

If I zoom in closer it looks wider, or not, hard to tell. The occupants do look thrilled.