Sarasota

N-400 September 2020 Filers

1,423 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Hawksquill said:

Update - everything went well and my husband is now a US citizen!

His appointment was for 10:10 AM at the Lawrence, MA office.  I dropped him off a few minutes before 10 and he went through security without any issues.  He waited until about 10:15 and then got called back.  The interview was super quick, and only lasted about 10 minutes!  He got the first 6 questions right on the test, so didn't have to do the last 4. The officer asked him a couple questions about his job, my job, and where we live.  Then he ran through all the questions confirming he's not committed any crimes, has never been arrested, etc.  He didn't ask to see any of the evidence we brought, just asked for my husband's green card.  No one ever even asked him for his appointment letter, not even security at the entrance to the building, which surprised me.

The IO told him that he had been approved and he could take the oath in a few minutes.  Then, USCIS had to throw us for one final loop - the printer they use to print the naturalization certificates was broken!  So they took him to another waiting room for like ~40 minutes while they tried to fix it.  He said it felt like something out of a sitcom, a room full of people who have taken off from work and driven hours out of their way for a 10 minute interview just to be foiled by a broken printer, and the backlog of waiting people is getting larger and larger and more and more staffers are crowding around this broken printer trying to figure out what's wrong.  Eventually they fixed it and he took the oath and was outside at about 11:30.  So if you were at the Lawrence office today and things were running about an hour behind, that's why 😛

Now we're home celebrating being done with USCIS forever - feels good!

Congrats :)

3 hours ago, Hawksquill said:

His appointment was for 10:10 AM at the Lawrence, MA office.  I dropped him off a few minutes before 10 and he went through security without any issues.  He waited until about 10:15 and then got called back.  The interview was super quick, and only lasted about 10 minutes!  He got the first 6 questions right on the test, so didn't have to do the last 4. The officer asked him a couple questions about his job, my job, and where we live.  Then he ran through all the questions confirming he's not committed any crimes, has never been arrested, etc.  He didn't ask to see any of the evidence we brought, just asked for my husband's green card.  No one ever even asked him for his appointment letter, not even security at the entrance to the building, which surprised me.

The IO told him that he had been approved and he could take the oath in a few minutes.  Then, USCIS had to throw us for one final loop - the printer they use to print the naturalization certificates was broken!  So they took him to another waiting room for like ~40 minutes while they tried to fix it.  He said it felt like something out of a sitcom, a room full of people who have taken off from work and driven hours out of their way for a 10 minute interview just to be foiled by a broken printer, and the backlog of waiting people is getting larger and larger and more and more staffers are crowding around this broken printer trying to figure out what's wrong.  Eventually they fixed it and he took the oath and was outside at about 11:30.  So if you were at the Lawrence office today and things were running about an hour behind, that's why 😛

Congrats! So glad we are done with all these crazy stuffs 😀

Have anyone tried to use this request? 

You can submit an “outside normal processing time” service request online. 

In my field office, Washington DC, the estimated time range is 12 months to 15 months for Feb 16, 2020 Receipt date for case inquiry.  But since we are all  September 2020 filers here, then we can use the request of "outside normal processing time".  I wonder if any got some specific answers from them.  I'm still waiting for my interview schedule.  I remembered  when the old timeline appeared, my estimated completion is May.  But now , there's no way to tell with their new system.

Dave-Gie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Davegie said:

Have anyone tried to use this request? 

You can submit an “outside normal processing time” service request online. 

In my field office, Washington DC, the estimated time range is 12 months to 15 months for Feb 16, 2020 Receipt date for case inquiry.  But since we are all  September 2020 filers here, then we can use the request of "outside normal processing time".  I wonder if any got some specific answers from them.  I'm still waiting for my interview schedule.  I remembered  when the old timeline appeared, my estimated completion is May.  But now , there's no way to tell with their new system.

I think I'm missing something really obvious here, but September 2020 + 15 months is about January 2022. It appears to me that for that time range given for DC field office that September 2020 filers are still within the normal processing time.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 minute ago, Suudsu said:

I think I'm missing something really obvious here, but September 2020 + 15 months is about January 2022. It appears to me that for that time range given for DC field office that September 2020 filers are still within the normal processing time.

Yes you're absolutely correct!! I already called them and they said I'm within the time frame. They said I can check if it's outside processing time which is still after 15 months. So they can't help me until that time has passed. So all we can do at this point is to wait. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, mrstomates said:

Did anyone figure out how to update social security after naturalisation with the offices being closed? 

There are some good tips in the 'What to do now that you are a US citizen' forums. Apply for a passport card when you apply for a passport and mail that as evidence of citizenship. Looks like a good route to me.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:18 PM, Hawksquill said:

Congratulations!! Also a Lawrence field office applicant and waiting patiently for the interview notice to come soon. Good news to hear that they are doing same-day oath at the moment!

25 Jan: I-129F Sent from Berlin | 27 Jan: NOA-1 | 01 May: RFE19 May: NOA-2

03 Jun: NVC Received | 20 Jun: NVC Issued Case Number | 23 Jun: Case Ready 

29 Jun: Medical | 03 Jul: Packet 3 received & sent | 13 Jul: Interview | 20 Jul: Visa In Hand

07 Aug: POE | 06 Sep: AOS Sent | 15 Sep: NOA-1 | 15 Oct: RFE | 29 Nov: EAD/AP/AOS NOA-2 | 06 Dec: EAD/AP In Hand

02 Jan: AOS Interview | 08 Jan: GC Received

04 Oct: I-751 Filed | 10 Oct: GC Extended

18 Aug: I-751 Approved | 04 Oct: N-400 Window Open + Filed

18 Apr: Biometrics Reuse | 14 Jun: Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
11 hours ago, NorthSouth said:

If you file online and are biometric exempt, what photo do they use for the Citizen Certificate?  Is that taken at the interview?

No the one they have on file from your last biometrics. They used the one I had 2015

1 hour ago, Smile4rill1 said:

No the one they have on file from your last biometrics. They used the one I had 2015

They used the photo from my green card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.