jxn

AR-11 change of address after multiple moves

2 posts in this topic

As you can see in my other recent posts, I'm helping a friend fill in her N-400 application and have a few questions. This one is about the change of address. She is a long-term permanent resident who has been eligible to naturalize for over a decade but never got around to it. She has moved several times and has not filed a change of address form with USCIS for her last few residences. I was just wondering if the right scenario from here on out is to update her address on file with the AR-11, listing her current address as the new address, where she moved from as the previous address, and then from there the form has no way to list anything prior. I get the logic that the person should be updating every time, but will the previous address on the form need to match what's on file with USCIS? I hope not.

And just checking in to make sure that this should be done before filing the N-400, or would simply filing for naturalization serve as a change to update the address within the N-400 itself instead of doing so separately? Thank you!

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, jxn said:

As you can see in my other recent posts, I'm helping a friend fill in her N-400 application and have a few questions. This one is about the change of address. She is a long-term permanent resident who has been eligible to naturalize for over a decade but never got around to it. She has moved several times and has not filed a change of address form with USCIS for her last few residences. I was just wondering if the right scenario from here on out is to update her address on file with the AR-11, listing her current address as the new address, where she moved from as the previous address, and then from there the form has no way to list anything prior. I get the logic that the person should be updating every time, but will the previous address on the form need to match what's on file with USCIS? I hope not.

And just checking in to make sure that this should be done before filing the N-400, or would simply filing for naturalization serve as a change to update the address within the N-400 itself instead of doing so separately? Thank you!

AR-11 first. it's required by law. And update from now on every time she moves. Penalty is rarely (or even?) enforced but intentionally failing to update an lpr address is a misdemeanor. 

On the N-400, due to failing to update ar-11, I wonder how many people wrote down YES on the question regarding committing a crime for which they haven't been charged?

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-i-forgot-tell-uscis-change-address.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.