GreenWave

Proof of Address

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

My N-400 interview has been scheduled for September 10th. I was just curious if I had to provide proof of every single address I've lived in for the past five years. I was a college student for the last four years so I've moved around quite a bit. Will I have to provide proof that I've lived in each address (I've listed about five addresses total). Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I believe you supposed to submit a form AR11 to USCIS every time you move to a new address. At least, that’s what I did when we moved. USCIS website says “they encourage” you to do so, some other law firm sites say it’s a law. But I think you can use a copy of AR11 as a proof of address if you ever submitted them. 

https://cilawgroup.com/news/2014/11/13/non-us-citizen-and-moving-dont-forget-to-file-ar-11-notification-with-uscis/

2 hours ago, OscarN said:

At least, that’s what I did when we moved. USCIS website says “they encourage” you to do so

It's a federal regulation: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=60eb1beed4dbed559c921c8428582004&mc=true&node=pt8.1.265&rgn=div5 "Reporting change of address. Except for those exempted by section 263(b) of the Act, all aliens in the United States required to register under section 262 of the Act must report each change of address and new address within 10 days of such change in accordance with instructions provided by USCIS."

I am not referring to the AR-11 form. I am familiar with the address regulations, and in fact, I filled that out after I moved two months ago and there were no issues with that.

I am referring to the addresses that you must list in the past five years, not my current address. I am just wondering if I have to provide any proof (i.e. bills) that I've lived in the addresses that I've listed under that section in the N-400 form.

Yes, most people put their parents' address. I did not, however. I listed all of the addresses I've lived in the past five years to be safe. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
34 minutes ago, GreenWave said:

I am referring to the addresses that you must list in the past five years, not my current address. I am just wondering if I have to provide any proof (i.e. bills) that I've lived in the addresses that I've listed under that section in the N-400 form.

no need for proof of previous addresses, N-400 form and instructions do not mention proof of addresses, only that you have to list them all, so you don't need to provide proof like bills

On 8/27/2020 at 6:57 PM, OscarN said:

it’s a law.

Yup, and not following that law has listed penalties: "Failure to notify change of address. Any alien or any parent or legal guardian in the United States of any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not to exceed $200 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. Irrespective of whether an alien is convicted and punished as herein provided, any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by part IV of this subchapter, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.