jxn

IRS tax transcript request for someone who just moved

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. She moved earlier this year, changing states, and hasn't yet updated her driver license due to COVID-19 restrictions. I'm helping her prepare her N-400 and told her how to request her IRS tax transcripts. For 2019, her income was below the required threshold to file, and I'm seeing other posts on the forum like this one where people suggest requesting a wage and income transcript to demonstrate that the applicant wasn't required to file.

Per the IRS website:

Individual taxpayers may use Get Transcript Online to view a masked transcript immediately or order one by mail for delivery to their address of record. Taxpayers may request an unmasked Wage & Income transcript for tax preparation. The unmasked transcript will be mailed to the taxpayer’s address of record.

Because she moved earlier this year, I'm assuming her new address isn't on file with the IRS. I'm wondering if it's still possible for her to request her normal tax return transcripts for prior years and wage and income transcript for 2019 to be sent to her new address.

Thanks for any insights you might have on this!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
13 hours ago, jxn said:

Hi everyone, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. She moved earlier this year, changing states, and hasn't yet updated her driver license due to COVID-19 restrictions. I'm helping her prepare her N-400 and told her how to request her IRS tax transcripts. For 2019, her income was below the required threshold to file, and I'm seeing other posts on the forum like this one where people suggest requesting a wage and income transcript to demonstrate that the applicant wasn't required to file.

Per the IRS website:

Because she moved earlier this year, I'm assuming her new address isn't on file with the IRS. I'm wondering if it's still possible for her to request her normal tax return transcripts for prior years and wage and income transcript for 2019 to be sent to her new address.

Thanks for any insights you might have on this!

If her new address isn't on file yet with the IRS she has to get that updated first before ordering the transcript by mail because it won't get forwarded by mail. She needs to file her change of address using IRS Form 8822, which will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to get processed (might be a bit longer during this COVID situation). Once the address is updated she can then request the transcripts.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

Aug 2016: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

Naturalization Process for Spouse - in research stage (Completed in X mos. X days)

8/7/24: started research and prep for upcoming filing of N-400 Online

TBD: Filed N-400 Online

:)

10 hours ago, MariaR323 said:

If her new address isn't on file yet with the IRS she has to get that updated first before ordering the transcript by mail because it won't get forwarded by mail. She needs to file her change of address using IRS Form 8822, which will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to get processed (might be a bit longer during this COVID situation). Once the address is updated she can then request the transcripts.

Thank you! In reviewing the N-400 instructions, it looks like the tax documents are to be brought to the interview and not part of the initial submission. Do you think she is good to submit soon without yet having the tax return transcripts (and wage and income transcripts for the appropriate years where she was below the income threshold), with the understanding that she has nearly a year to get them at current processing times?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 hours ago, jxn said:

Thank you! In reviewing the N-400 instructions, it looks like the tax documents are to be brought to the interview and not part of the initial submission. Do you think she is good to submit soon without yet having the tax return transcripts (and wage and income transcripts for the appropriate years where she was below the income threshold), with the understanding that she has nearly a year to get them at current processing times?

I'm not familiar yet with the N-400 process but if the transcripts are not required for initial submission then, yes, sounds right to me 👍

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

Aug 2016: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

Naturalization Process for Spouse - in research stage (Completed in X mos. X days)

8/7/24: started research and prep for upcoming filing of N-400 Online

TBD: Filed N-400 Online

:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.