no name

UK posts being made invisible

253 posts in this topic

Which is better - no moderation at all, which has gotten the board where it is now - or mods?

And were exactly is VJ without mods? Personally I think it was better around here before posts started magically dissappearing. The main basis for VJ is for supporting people through visa and AOS application, and if you look at those forums they execute extremely well. I don't know how experienced the current mods are at their jobs, but I can't help but feel that the mod power has gone to the heads of some of our new mods and its spoiling things around here.

This is of course IMHO, but I still believe the correct way to deal with a bad thread is to lock it.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
The mods can make posts invisible that violate the TOS however in some cases it is a thine line to walk. It is good that maybe we discuss when or when not it is good. Clearly when certain types of inflamitory remarks are made it is good to remove. I am always -- and I am sure the mods are -- willing to figure out where things should or should not need moderation :).

This definitely needs to be discussed! :thumbs:

I still struggle what to see what was so controversial about the original thread (where everyone was universally sympathetic) from yesterday until this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=999240

I don't see any "rubbing salt in wounds" from Bex posts. I think the "outrageous behavoir" began there. I see NO ONE taking any kind of satisfaction from the OP's predicament.

90day.jpg

I still struggle what to see what was so controversial about the original thread (where everyone was universally sympathetic) from yesterday until this:

I don't see any "rubbing salt in wounds" from Bex posts. I think the "outrageous behavoir" began there. I see NO ONE taking any kind of satisfaction from the OP's predicament.

and it was allowed to continue & escalate instead of a mod jumping in & saying chill. It is a public message board, if you ask someone to bow out, you better believe you're going to get flak. Hence the reason many of us, myself included, choose not to air our dirty laundry in public.

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I've never had one of my posts before be turned "invisible" before. Even after second thoughts, and third, and fourth, I stand by what I said. I find it rather ironic that H_A's acting all hurt and bothered given the treatment that some of us (myself personally) have suffered through by her hand while she's been on VJ. She of all people should know not everyone's going to like you or have something sweet to say. Normally in those situations, I bite my tongue, but as I mentioned in this case, I stand by what I said. If I have violated TOS in some way, that's another issue but I think as Robinklake pointed out, if you look in the post history between me and H_A you would find that's a 2 way street.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
Which is better - no moderation at all, which has gotten the board where it is now - or mods?

And were exactly is VJ without mods? Personally I think it was better around here before posts started magically dissappearing. The main basis for VJ is for supporting people through visa and AOS application, and if you look at those forums they execute extremely well. I don't know how experienced the current mods are at their jobs, but I can't help but feel that the mod power has gone to the heads of some of our new mods and its spoiling things around here.

This is of course IMHO, but I still believe the correct way to deal with a bad thread is to lock it.

It is certainly fair if we discuss where people think things should or should not be moderated. I know my ears are wide open as well as the mods. We want what is best for the community and feedback is not only valuable but critical! :)

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

True. And I'd like to know why last week a whole thread was made invisible & locked. Why? Why not keep it up so others can see how it went? I've never seen another one invisible except for an AW thread...

Also, making threads invisible is waaaaaaay Big Brother.

Edited by devilette

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't know how experienced the current mods are at their jobs, but I can't help but feel that the mod power has gone to the heads of some of our new mods and its spoiling things around here.

I've been modding for roughly 5 years on other sites, so I am not unexperienced. I will "invisiblise" a post when I think that something can still be gained by leaving a thread unlocked. I will also "invisiblise" a post when I feel it is inflammatory.

I assure you that being a mod here has not gone to my head, nor has it with Yodrak or Lal. VJ is a busy site, there is alot to take in AND do here.

Timeline

Some posts are invisible so looking back in time at old things may make is difficult -- you wont see the things that were removed.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Tell me then mags, what was gained by not locking that thread and making posts invisible. Did things improve after you magicked away peoples posts? Or did it continue to go downhill?

This is just my opinion, but without mods, you'd report an issue and it wouldn't be addressed until hours later (which was often too late). At least now, you can almost bet that one of the three mods will be online at any given time and PM them for something to be looked at.

Sometimes all that is needed is a 'nudge' in the thread from one of them - much better than a thread escalating to the point of no return before it gets reviewed.

Aside from the fact that a board of this size with no member mods (even if all they ever did was to say 'please tone it down') is a train wreck.

There are always going to be examples where you don't agree with a moderator's decision. And perhaps this incident will be something for them to learn from. Even at that, they're never going to be perfect.

Edited to say : I personally disagreed with the decision to 'invisiblize' ( :lol: that word!) the 'split' thread earlier in the week, so I PMd a mod and said so. Maybe my comments will be in their mind the next time they consider doing the same thing.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Some posts are invisible so looking back in time at old things may make is difficult -- you wont see the things that were removed.

EXACTLY why they should not be made invisible. It becomes a one sided argument.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I don't know how experienced the current mods are at their jobs, but I can't help but feel that the mod power has gone to the heads of some of our new mods and its spoiling things around here.

I've been modding for roughly 5 years on other sites, so I am not unexperienced. I will "invisiblise" a post when I think that something can still be gained by leaving a thread unlocked. I will also "invisiblise" a post when I feel it is inflammatory.

I assure you that being a mod here has not gone to my head, nor has it with Yodrak or Lal. VJ is a busy site, there is alot to take in AND do here.

I agree on all counts.

Maybe we should do a poll. I think locking a thread should be a very last resort. Discussions can continue civilly if certain posts are removed.

I'm speaking generally here, as I also do understand the whole pot/kettle thing with this particular situation.

Timeline

I think the mods here are great. I think if there can be benefit from this thread it is that every community is different and that we are welcome to tweaking things based on feedback. I am sure everyone can agree that "stemming" a problem before it explodes is better than fixing the mess afterwards. The right way to do that is always multifaceted. Suggestions are welcome. I know that I have learned a lot from the great feedback of our members and I plan to continue learning my whole life. If you think you have a suggestion on how to do things better in your view let us know!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Tell me then mags, what was gained by not locking that thread and making posts invisible. Did things improve after you magicked away peoples posts? Or did it continue to go downhill?

As I mentioned in my previous posts, sometimes there is valuable information to still be gained by leaving the thread open. By removing some posts you take out the inflammatory element and the thread can continue on topic.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.