no name

UK posts being made invisible

253 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Topics on VJ almost always go off topic of the original posts at times. What matters I think is whether the thread goes so far off topic that it cannot be salvaged, or once in awhile goes off topic and then goes back to topic.

I think this one has remained mostly on topic. A few off topic things here and there does not ruin the thread IMO. If we all complained about threads that had any ounce of off topic-ness to them, most threads would get closed. But it's a normal thing I think to have occasional off topic posts in a thread.

So maybe that would open another question about the right for the OP to ask for their thread to be closed. What circumstances should the OP be allowed to ask? I think it's a good question.

I usually have seen it for cases when TOS violations occur, or for instance if someone started a thread about car choices and they are ignored and the entire thread turns into a discussion of cheese, which could make the OP mad unless they also like cheese. :P But if only a couple posts are about cheese but the thread is still mostly about cars, I don't think the OP should be allowed to say "close it". That is how I feel about this thread too. If it's currently back on track, why should it be closed?

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Stina, I think you raise some good questions & I'm glad you brought it up.

I'm of the notion that the thread does not belong to the OP. Generally speaking, not being specific for just this one. An OP brings about a topic of conversation, and that conversation online follows. I don't think it's fair for the OP to have 'rights' to stifle everyone because the conversation is not going 'their way'

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, I'm sure.

Topics on VJ almost always go off topic of the original posts at times. What matters I think is whether the thread goes so far off topic that it cannot be salvaged, or once in awhile goes off topic and then goes back to topic.

I think this one has remained mostly on topic. A few off topic things here and there does not ruin the thread IMO. If we all complained about threads that had any ounce of off topic-ness to them, most threads would get closed. But it's a normal thing I think to have occasional off topic posts in a thread.

So maybe that would open another question about the right for the OP to ask for their thread to be closed. What circumstances should the OP be allowed to ask? I think it's a good question.

I usually have seen it for cases when TOS violations occur, or for instance if someone started a thread about car choices and they are ignored and the entire thread turns into a discussion of cheese, which could make the OP mad unless they also like cheese. :P But if only a couple posts are about cheese but the thread is still mostly about cars, I don't think the OP should be allowed to say "close it". That is how I feel about this thread too. If it's currently back on track, why should it be closed?

Good points Stina. TOS violations are in here, but have been ignored.

See below for my reasons why I wanted it closed. They still stand.

From back on page 13, not to mention several PMs.
This thread started as a question about censoring. Many of my initial questions to the mods who censored me & others - got ignored, in lieu of hat discussion, I think. The Capn tried to bring it around to new suggestions & that has failed. Please close this thread as it serves no purpose.

This thread has gone way off topic, many times, and the initial questions were never answered. It became a discussion of hat color & snarkiness.

Under the new Big Brother rules, apparently mods will never be held accountable for their actions. So really, why keep it open (since it was a thread about why did these things happen)?

I've tried to get an answer to this, but was told in one PM by a mod, An OP may ask, but it is not always granted. Um, what? :blink: No explanation about how or when it can be closed, etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No one else seeing the intense irony in this thread?

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

They are not afraid to do the job. I simply don't see the reason they should have to announce each time that they do something. I don't get enough time with Mags as it is; imagine how grumpy I'll be if I see her even less due to her having to post a "who and why" each time she "moderates" something. The mods aren't paid, you know.... I think it's pretty rude for people to demand that they do more than they already do - or to complain about them at all, really.

In the end, it's JUST a message board. If something that happens here affects "your" (generic you) quality of life that much, it might be time for treatment of internet addiction.

Well, I honestly do not think it would waste as much time as you think it would. Invisiblise a post, replace it with a place holder, done. The same place holder can be used repeatedly. It wouldn't take up much precious time. Quit bein so melodramatic.

Remember, suggestions were openly asked for. I don't think it is fair to say that I am "demanding" anything, just because you don't agree with my suggestion.

21FUNNY.gif

Dev - I really don't at this point know what to tell you. You are suggesting we are not being held accountible for our actions but we are requesting advice on how to improve the way we use the tools available. How is this not holding ourselves accountible?

I think the question on when to close a thread per request of the OP is excellent and I have asked for clarification on this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

If an OP requests it I will close a thread for them in all but rare occasions. If people want to get some posts from the topic "split" into their own topic I can do that for them. If members want to continue a side discussion that was in the thread they can re-create a thread on that topic.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

If an OP requests it I will close a thread for them in all but rare occasions. If people want to get some posts from the topic "split" into their own topic I can do that for them. If members want to continue a side discussion that was in the thread they can re-create a thread on that topic.

OK, fair enough. Then why can't my thread closed or split like I asked pages ago? :wacko:

Edited by devilette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.