Burnt Reynolds

Nationwide riot megathread

1,126 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

What if... this incident actually brought us closer together when we realize all the principles that we share?

What happened today is greater than "this location was stormed in DC" and "that location was stormed in Portland." It's symbolic. We're hard-wired as humans to respond to symbolism. The 9/11 attackers chose their targets carefully. McVeigh chose his target carefully. The Capitol is a symbol that is greater than the materials of which it is composed, greater than the people inside it.  

Sorry...I am not at the "can't we all just get along" phase tonight

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would be nice, but I can see that the last 4 years of non acceptance will make it very hard, how do you tell people do not do as we did but as we should have done? Simplistically Not my President works both ways, what happens when there is a new vacancy on the Supreme Court? 

Going to be an interesting 2 years. 

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

What if... this incident actually brought us closer together when we realize all the principles that we share?

What happened today is greater than "this location was stormed in DC" and "that location was stormed in Portland." It's symbolic. We're hard-wired as humans to respond to symbolism. The 9/11 attackers chose their targets carefully. McVeigh chose his target carefully. The Capitol is a symbol that is greater than the materials of which it is composed, greater than the people inside it.  

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, CanAm1980 said:

Okay.  B'$.

No one cares that the Portland pioneer square Starbucks and headbanger wall was shutdown for a few days. Everyone needs to be concerned that the seated president and seated senators encouraged a mob to storm the Capitol building.

Why was there not adequate precautions, you must be blind not to have seen something happening today.

Admittedly I was on the road most of the day but not aware of a seated president or senators leading the mob. I did hear that Trump who seems to have gone mostly AWOL told them to go home, not sure if that is true.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Would be nice, but I can see that the last 4 years of non acceptance will make it very hard, how do you tell people do not do as we did but as we should have done? Simplistically Not my President works both ways, what happens when there is a new vacancy on the Supreme Court? 

Going to be an interesting 2 years

Four years.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Lindsey Graham, senate floor, just said Pence should certify Biden and Harris. 

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Why was there not adequate precautions, you must be blind not to have seen something happening today.

Admittedly I was on the road most of the day but not aware of a seated president or senators leading the mob. I did hear that Trump who seems to have gone mostly AWOL told them to go home, not sure if that is true.

Trump got his Twitter and FB accounts suspended.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Four years.

Next elections for the House.

Can not see Biden lasting 4 but time will tell.

Edited by Boiler

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I must be blind?    I saw the actions of Cruz and Hawley today. They should not even be allowed to speak or vote imo. 

5 minutes ago, HKS said:

Lindsey Graham, senate floor, just said Pence should certify Biden and Harris. 

Trump got his Twitter and FB accounts suspended.  

Covefee out!

Timeline

Basically a free pass to make objections, say to the base that you did what you could knowing it will make not a bit of difference, politicians grandstanding, nothing new.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Basically a free pass to make objections, say to the base that you did what you could knowing it will make not a bit of difference, politicians grandstanding, nothing new.

Mcconnell has spoken, thus will be done tonight.

14 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Four years.

Out of reactions so 💙

Timeline
11 minutes ago, CanAm1980 said:

Senate 6 nays 93 yeahs. Sine die, but they can still speak? I need to watch more c-span

Please remember that some of us have not studied Latin since they were 11.