Puppythecat

Best place to order laptop to fiance in Manila

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

With Manila shutting down again and no clue when the K1 interview will actually be scheduled I would like to send my fiance a laptop so that she can do some work from home and not be so bored when she's stuck indoors.  Is villman a good place to order from?  I'm having some trouble finding a site that delivers in Manila and will take a credit card from the United States.  It's not like the US where you can just order from Amazon or Newegg and don't even think about not getting scammed or jumping through hoops to get it delivered correctly.

44 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

With Manila shutting down again and no clue when the K1 interview will actually be scheduled I would like to send my fiance a laptop so that she can do some work from home and not be so bored when she's stuck indoors.  Is villman a good place to order from?  I'm having some trouble finding a site that delivers in Manila and will take a credit card from the United States.  It's not like the US where you can just order from Amazon or Newegg and don't even think about not getting scammed or jumping through hoops to get it delivered correctly.

Actually I used to order from amazon all the time from Manila and it was extremely reliable and fast. You just need to make sure the items you find will ship to the Philippines (it will say in the listing) and also be ready to possibly pay vat on any electronics. 

if you can find a decent laptop on Lazada or shoppee (can sometimes be hard to do) you can choose the cash on delivery option and send your fiancé the money to pay for it when it’s delivered. 

also if your considering a Mac, you may be able to order from the Apple philippines site. However I always used a philippines credit card when I did this so I’m not sure if this will work for you. 

Probably the best option for you and the easiest is to find something on Lazada and send your fiancé the money. Laptops are kind of expensive in the Philippines though and the specs tend to be out of date by a year but that’s just the way it is. 

ive never used villman but I think they are at moa and another branch at mega. If they have something see if they can deliver to your fiancé and pay cash if she can’t get to the store. I’d be a little hesitant to give my credit card details without physically being there. Some of these mall electronic stores I’m a little Leary on. Also by paying cash it gives you more control over the transaction. Over the 10 years living in Manila I had my Identity stolen 3 times which lead to either a transaction I didn’t make on my card or someone opening up credit cards in my name. All 3 were easy to clear up just a bit of a hassle. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline

Thanks for the reply.  She is leery about using Lazada because she has heard of people ordering a phone or laptop and getting a box with a rock in it.  Maybe you're right, I should just send her the money and have her to go a store to purchase in person. 

2 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

Thanks for the reply.  She is leery about using Lazada because she has heard of people ordering a phone or laptop and getting a box with a rock in it.  Maybe you're right, I should just send her the money and have her to go a store to purchase in person. 

I used Lazada a lot with no problems. However many sellers on Lazada offer cash on delivery and that’s the only way I would order from them. When the laptop comes she opens the box, checks it and then pays the delivery guy for it. I always did this route with no issues. Keep control of the transaction is the best advice I can give. 

if she can get to the Malls with no issues have her go and do a WhatsApp call with her so you can see what the options are while she is at the store.  Once you find one that meets what your looking for, Xoom or worldremit the money or one of the other money senders. She can pick up within a few minutes usually at another store in that mall. 

greenhills is an excellent place for electronics if she can get there. It’s not far from Ortigas. 

don’t pay for a laptop with a credit card on Lazada. If she gets a rock the only way to get your money back is the credit card company which is no sure thing. Also, Lazada can sometimes take 2-4 weeks to deliver and their tracking of shipments sucks. As I said, keep control of any transaction done there. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1806168-d2049194-r149622744-Greenhills_Shopping_Center-San_Juan_Metro_Manila_Luzon.html

I would go here on weekends a lot. It sells a wide variety of things. Horrible traffic on the weekend though. If she’s from Manila she will know this place. 

2 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

She isn't far from SM North.  Transportation is really strange now though thanks to the situation though. 

There is very limited transportation unless she has a car or knows someone who does. I’m not even sure if the buses are running even on a limited schedule. She may have to wait until Aug 19 with the hope that Mecq is downgraded. 

from sm north it’s almost a straight shot down edsa to ortigas area. If there is a bus or something running down edsa she can get off around Ortigas and walk there. She can also check the computer shops in mega mall as well. 

if she buys a laptop I would advise having it put in a bag and taped shut. Year over year for May and June crime has increased by 15% and is expected to increase even more when the quarantines are loosened and we also get into later months as the economic situation is grim. 

Timeline

It's a depressing situation.  If things don't open back up fast more people will starve than could have ever died from the virus.

6 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

COD is the only way to go for Lazada

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.