Sarge2155

August 2020 - AOS Filers

2,327 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, mogiftney said:

I don’t know if submitting a notarized affidavit would change anything as the credit report was ran in a misspelling of her name, so they would probably want to see that it was actually ran on her legal name. Also, we’re running really close to the deadline for the RFIE and really need to get this sent off ASAP. 

As for the credit card, our personal life circumstances don’t require us to have one, we have debit cards but we don’t believe in spending beyond our means and don’t need to at this point in our lives. We’re able to rent just fine and we have a means of transportation, we don’t plan on buying a house or getting a car loan any time soon so the debit cards take care of everything else. We both live with my brother so at this point there’s really no opportunity for us to build credit without putting us in debt for an asset we don’t need, either. We’re both young. Out of curiosity, why do you think we should have credit
cards?

I think affidavit should work for mis-spelling. 

For the reason that in US credit score is a major thing that everyone needs irrespective of the spending habits. I'm also from a country where people usually look credit as a bad thing but i think as long as you can payback your credit bill by the due date and limit spending, Credit Card is a must thing to have in US.

You can always get 1-2 credit cards with $o fees and build your score. You can always use Credit card to pay bills and if you are really concerned about spending too much just pay the balance right away using debit card/bank account.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 hours ago, HRQX said:

When she goes in-person ask if they can give her a print-out with the SSN while she waits for the SSN card (since it's always mailed).

My wife received her SSN in the mail today! :) I don't know what happened, but maybe SS Office was backed up because it took a month to receive.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Geekosnap said:

I think affidavit should work for mis-spelling. 

For the reason that in US credit score is a major thing that everyone needs irrespective of the spending habits. I'm also from a country where people usually look credit as a bad thing but i think as long as you can payback your credit bill by the due date and limit spending, Credit Card is a must thing to have in US.

You can always get 1-2 credit cards with $o fees and build your score. You can always use Credit card to pay bills and if you are really concerned about spending too much just pay the balance right away using debit card/bank account.

I see your point, I’d agree that for many people credit cards can be extremely useful in proving financial responsibility, however, the pros don’t outweigh the cons for us at this point in our lives, we’re both in our very early 20s. We would hate to forget to make our payments on time or get too cozy with spending beyond our means. We tend to be pretty frugal, maybe even to a fault. We may end up getting a credit card at some point but for now I think we are getting by just fine without one. Thanks for the insight though!

I actually just found out that my wife had thrown out those misspelled letters out of frustration ages ago. I had no idea she did that, whoopsie! Oh well... nothing we can do about it now.

We can still include the screenshots from experian that show error codes and that she is unable to retrieve her credit report with the inputted information. We can also submitted a signed and dated letter where she states that she has no credit report.

Would you think that it’s best to include the most recent letter with the correct spelling of her name that shows her past attempts to retrieve her credit report, or just leave that out and show the error messages on experian’s website only? We don’t want to make it more confusing than it needs to be, but if you think it would help then we will include it. Unfortunately we are working with a short deadline here so getting another letter mailed to us isn’t really in our list of options right now. Thanks so much for your wonderful advice. 

Edited by mogiftney

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

1 hour ago, mogiftney said:

Then under that, it says “special messages” and says “FILE SSN LIKELY NOT ISSUED PRIOR TO JUNE 2011”.

That's normal: https://www.ssa.gov/employer/randomization.html "The Social Security Administration (SSA) changed the way Social Security Numbers (SSNs) are issued on June 25, 2011. This change is referred to as "randomization." The SSA developed this new method to help protect the integrity of the SSN. SSN Randomization will also extend the longevity of the nine-digit SSN nationwide."

Timeline
3 minutes ago, HRQX said:

That's normal: https://www.ssa.gov/employer/randomization.html "The Social Security Administration (SSA) changed the way Social Security Numbers (SSNs) are issued on June 25, 2011. This change is referred to as "randomization." The SSA developed this new method to help protect the integrity of the SSN. SSN Randomization will also extend the longevity of the nine-digit SSN nationwide."

Thank you! Someone else in a different thread is now, I believe, implying that that weird letter from TransUnion is a credit report. I know she doesn’t have a credit score, but for the question that asks if she has a credit report, do you know if she should tick yes or no? I can’t figure out what to do here lol. Thanks

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

21 minutes ago, mogiftney said:

Thank you! Someone else in a different thread is now, I believe, implying that that weird letter from TransUnion is a credit report.

I agree. The document is her TransUnion credit report.

Answer "Yes" to "Do you have a U.S. credit report?"

Answer "No" to "Do you have a U.S. credit score?"

Timeline
35 minutes ago, HRQX said:

I agree. The document is her TransUnion credit report.

Answer "Yes" to "Do you have a U.S. credit report?"

Answer "No" to "Do you have a U.S. credit score?"

This clears things up a lot, thanks for the help!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, mogiftney said:

I see your point, I’d agree that for many people credit cards can be extremely useful in proving financial responsibility, however, the pros don’t outweigh the cons for us at this point in our lives, we’re both in our very early 20s.

Not building your credit profile now can cost you later in life -- one of the factors in calculating an individual's credit score is the average age of credit accounts, and another is number of accounts (they like to see a few accounts open). The best loan rates (including mortgages, if you ever do want to buy a home) are available to those with the highest credit scores.

There are lots of pros and virtually no cons to ownership if done properly. You do not have to change your spending habits at all, or even use the card frequently. Keep it locked away in a drawer if you're worried about impulse control,  just put a $5-$10 charge on it every few months, allow it to post a balance, and pay it off immediately so it doesn't get closed for inactivity.

Click to reveal AOS Timeline:

Spoiler

08/19/20  I-130, I-485 Signed for at Chicago Lockbox

08/21/20 I-130, I-485 Accepted

09/04/20  Credit Card Charged

09/13/20  Text With Receipt Number (x2)

09/24/20  I-130, I-485 NOA received

11/17/20  Response to RFIE Requesting I-944 Delivered to USCIS

11/18/20 Account Updated to show Response to I-944 RFIE Was Received

1/23/20 Biometrics Appointment Notice Received (Notice Dated 1/16)

2/10/20 Biometrics Appointment

Timeline
3 hours ago, partyintheUSA said:

Not building your credit profile now can cost you later in life -- one of the factors in calculating an individual's credit score is the average age of credit accounts, and another is number of accounts (they like to see a few accounts open). The best loan rates (including mortgages, if you ever do want to buy a home) are available to those with the highest credit scores.

There are lots of pros and virtually no cons to ownership if done properly. You do not have to change your spending habits at all, or even use the card frequently. Keep it locked away in a drawer if you're worried about impulse control,  just put a $5-$10 charge on it every few months, allow it to post a balance, and pay it off immediately so it doesn't get closed for inactivity.

You raise a fair point, I didn’t know age mattered or that purchases as small as 5 dollars would build any credit. 

12 hours ago, Justin & Sara said:

My wife received her SSN in the mail today! :) I don't know what happened, but maybe SS Office was backed up because it took a month to receive.

The main thing is she got her number, that's all that maters!!! Grats....

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

I'm having a rough start of 2021.. 

We receive I944 (both parents) on Nov 17 2020. We have 87 days to submit everything and my attorney just went on a vacation without telling me. We won't be back until Feb 1st. (my due date is Feb 11th). 

He did briefly told me we got extra 1 month extension to respond to our I944 due to covid? I looked it up and can't find this information. He's not responding to me since yesterday... 

Did anyone hear about this covid related I944 extension? ? where can I find this info?

Timeline
21 minutes ago, goodsoohe5919 said:

I'm having a rough start of 2021.. 

We receive I944 (both parents) on Nov 17 2020. We have 87 days to submit everything and my attorney just went on a vacation without telling me. We won't be back until Feb 1st. (my due date is Feb 11th). 

He did briefly told me we got extra 1 month extension to respond to our I944 due to covid? I looked it up and can't find this information. He's not responding to me since yesterday... 

Did anyone hear about this covid related I944 extension? ? where can I find this info?

Personally, I have not heard of this extension. Are you planning on doing this form yourself? If so, don’t hesitate to ask here for advice. There’s an example I-944 on visajourney under guides, then example immigration forms. 

Edited by mogiftney

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.