Sarge2155

August 2020 - AOS Filers

2,327 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

What proof of health insurance for the I-944 did you guys send in? I’m struggling to get any official proof from Aetna other than my insurance card :( what did you guys ask for?

AOS

08/25/2020 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using USPS                                         11/06/2020 - Received physical receipt notice for I-765 in the mail

08/28/2020 - Package was received by USCIS                                                                                                   12/15/2020 - Online account updated and indicated the I-944 RFIE was sent

09/25/2020 - Debit Card was charged by USCIS                                                                                                 12/28/2020 - Recieved the I-944 RFIE via e-mail after speaking with a tier 2 officer

09/29/2020 - Recieved text notifications from USCIS with reciept numbers                                                  1/11/2021 - Responded to the RFIE and sent the I-944 to USCIS 

10/01/2020 - Recieved rejected I-765 back                                                                                                           3/3/2021 - Biometrics scheduled for 03/29

10/05/2020 - Recieved physical reciept notices in the mail

10/06/2020 - Sent I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using UPS

10/09/2020 - Package was recieved by USCIS

10/30/2020 - Recieved text notication from USCIS with reciept number for I-765

Still waiting for biometrics with a PD of August 18. Not sure how much longer we will be waiting (Detroit office). Feels so drawn out and hopeless! Put a request in that did not go anywhere, then we put another request in which was never answered. And now we have escalated that request and been again told to wait 30 days to potentially get a response. Reached out to congress... nobody replied to our emails. And lastly, talked to tier 2 officers several times and nothing. Hopeless is really the word! 

Edited by INF

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Five months after submission in August, I finally received my letter for Biometrics appointment in Dallas, which will be on January 22nd.  Sill unable to get SS card.  Due to Covid, SS office would not see me until November, and then had the audacity to claim I had waited too late after my June arrival and July marriage to apply,  and I was no longer in the system.  They sent the SS application to the black hole, which is DHS, for verification.  If I hear "due to covid" one more time from the employees of these agencies, most of whom are sitting at home 4 to 5 days a week, while a handful of people actually perform their work in the office, I am going to scream.   But, so it goes....... and at least we are together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
45 minutes ago, 1985dobie said:

Five months after submission in August, I finally received my letter for Biometrics appointment in Dallas, which will be on January 22nd.  Sill unable to get SS card.  Due to Covid, SS office would not see me until November, and then had the audacity to claim I had waited too late after my June arrival and July marriage to apply,  and I was no longer in the system.  They sent the SS application to the black hole, which is DHS, for verification.  If I hear "due to covid" one more time from the employees of these agencies, most of whom are sitting at home 4 to 5 days a week, while a handful of people actually perform their work in the office, I am going to scream.   But, so it goes....... and at least we are together.

So sorry to hear this. I was in the same situation. Unfortunately if your K-1 visa is expired you cannot get a SSN. I applied for it back in November with an expired K-1 visa and got denied. I finally got my combo card this week and have another appointment at the SSA office next Monday. They said with my EAD my application won’t be denied this time. You will have to wait until you get your EAD...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello August 2020 filers!

Update: My wife received her EAD card the first week of December and never received her SSN, so I have been calling the office this week and she finally have an appointment tomorrow with the Social Security office! I'm so grateful she finally got one because we have been trying to get her SSN since July 2020!

1 hour ago, Justin & Sara said:

Update: My wife received her EAD card the first week of December and never received her SSN,

When she goes in-person ask if they can give her a print-out with the SSN while she waits for the SSN card (since it's always mailed). Also, she can begin employment right now without having or knowing her SSN. In that case, on I-9 form she would leave SSN field blank. In the case of E-verify, the employer can select "Awaiting Social Security number." https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i

Also: https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html "It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it."

See JFH's experience with working without SSN:

Also a note that she is eligible for both stimulus rebates since she is a resident alien for tax purposes and she'll have a SSN at tax filing: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf "Generally, you are eligible to claim the recovery rebate credit if in 2020 you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, weren't a dependent of another taxpayer, and have a valid social security number. This includes someone who died in 2020, if you are preparing a return for that person."

She is a resident alien for tax purposes because of substantial presence test: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

Edited by HRQX

4 hours ago, Ela S. said:

Unfortunately if your K-1 visa is expired you cannot get a SSN.

*K-1 I-94 is expired or is about to expire

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110213300

If, within the next 14 calendar days from the current date, either the person’s lawful alien evidence expires or the person’s lawful alien status expires, do not process the SSN application. In these situations, SSA cannot print and mail the SSN card to the applicant before the lawful alien document or alien status expires. Instead, provide written notice (SSA-L676, Refusal to Process SSN Application) to the applicant explaining why you cannot process the SSN application and delete the application.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 minutes ago, HRQX said:

When she goes in-person ask if they can give her a print-out with the SSN while she waits for the SSN card (since it's always mailed). Also, she can begin employment right now without having or knowing her SSN. In that case, on I-9 form she would leave SSN field blank. In the case of E-verify, the employer can select "Awaiting Social Security number." https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i

Also: https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html "It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it."

See JFH's experience with working without SSN:

Also a note that she is eligible for both stimulus rebates since she is a resident alien for tax purposes and she'll have a SSN at tax filing: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf "Generally, you are eligible to claim the recovery rebate credit if in 2020 you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, weren't a dependent of another taxpayer, and have a valid social security number. This includes someone who died in 2020, if you are preparing a return for that person."

She is a resident alien for tax purposes because of substantial presence test: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

OMG @HRQX thank you so much for this information! It is very helpful! I didn't even know she was eligible for the stimulus!

5 minutes ago, Justin & Sara said:

I didn't even know she was eligible for the stimulus!

When you file 2020 taxes pay attention to Line 30 on Page 2 of 1040: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

"Line 30 Recovery Rebate Credit"

Wait to file taxes until she at least gets the SSN.

Edited by HRQX

I'm preparing my parents I944. Does anyone know if translated document ( pension from their home country) have to be notarized after the translation?  I already have a certified translator letter attached on the document. Just wondering if I need to notarize it as well. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hey guys, I need advice on something. 

My wife is the beneficiary, adjusting from K1, she has a SNN, AOS package already sent but we are responding to our I-944 RFIE. 

My wife doesn’t have a credit card and neither do I, we both are debt free. She has a SSN with her maiden name on it. It’s been roughly 13 months since she entered on her K1. We had tried months ago to check her credit online and nothing came up, so we tried endlessly to get one of the three major credit agencies to mail us a letter stating that she doesn’t have a report and they misspelled her common first name 4 times in a row. The 5th time, TransUnion finally sent us a letter with the right name, but upon closer inspection it is not a letter stating that she does not have a credit report, rather a letter that appears to be... a WEIRD credit report.. it shows her full married name at the top with her personal info, then under that it shows account review inquiries where we had tried to view her credit report months ago on different occasions to get them to send us a letter. Then under that, it says “special messages” and says “FILE SSN LIKELY NOT ISSUED PRIOR TO JUNE 2011”. The rest is just TransUnion’s contact info. 

My probably stupid question to you guys is, is this considered a credit report? It has no credit score or other information except for info on prior times we tried to find her credit report. 

When we try finding her credit report on Experian and Equifax, they both give error messages saying that her credit report cannot be found. Should we include these and claim she has no credit report, or DOES she have a credit report and it’s just completely blank? When we look on the TransUnion website her “report” is literally a blank drop down menu with nothing on it. Is this a glitch or a weird blank credit report? Thanks so much, any advice on this topic is much appreciated. 

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

5 minutes ago, mogiftney said:

Hey guys, I need advice on something. 

My wife is the beneficiary, adjusting from K1, she has a SNN, AOS package already sent but we are responding to our I-944 RFIE. 

My wife doesn’t have a credit card and neither do I, we both are debt free. She has a SSN with her maiden name on it. It’s been roughly 13 months since she entered on her K1. We had tried months ago to check her credit online and nothing came up, so we tried endlessly to get one of the three major credit agencies to mail us a letter stating that she doesn’t have a report and they misspelled her common first name 4 times in a row. The 5th time, TransUnion finally sent us a letter with the right name, but upon closer inspection it is not a letter stating that she does not have a credit report, rather a letter that appears to be... a WEIRD credit report.. it shows her full married name at the top with her personal info, then under that it shows account review inquiries where we had tried to view her credit report months ago on different occasions to get them to send us a letter. Then under that, it says “special messages” and says “FILE SSN LIKELY NOT ISSUED PRIOR TO JUNE 2011”. The rest is just TransUnion’s contact info. 

My probably stupid question to you guys is, is this considered a credit report? It has no credit score or other information except for info on prior times we tried to find her credit report. 

When we try finding her credit report on Experian and Equifax, they both give error messages saying that her credit report cannot be found. Should we include these and claim she has no credit report, or DOES she have a credit report and it’s just completely blank? When we look on the TransUnion website her “report” is literally a blank drop down menu with nothing on it. Is this a glitch or a weird blank credit report? Thanks so much, any advice on this topic is much appreciated. 

1. If there is no credit card, loan on the file there won't be a credit score. Otherwise you would see that on the same report that TransUnion sent you.

2. if they mis-spelled the name, one thing i would suggest you do is submit a personal affidavit (if you want you can also get it notarized) saying the name is misspelled on the letter and the correct name is this <>.

3. Is there any reason you both don't have a credit card yet? 13 months without a credit card.? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
3 hours ago, goodsoohe5919 said:

I'm preparing my parents I944. Does anyone know if translated document ( pension from their home country) have to be notarized after the translation?  I already have a certified translator letter attached on the document. Just wondering if I need to notarize it as well. 

nope. I just filed: 

1. Copy of original document

2. English translation 

3. Clarification of accuracy of the translation from the translator.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Geekosnap said:

1. If there is no credit card, loan on the file there won't be a credit score. Otherwise you would see that on the same report that TransUnion sent you.

2. if they mis-spelled the name, one thing i would suggest you do is submit a personal affidavit (if you want you can also get it notarized) saying the name is misspelled on the letter and the correct name is this <>.

3. Is there any reason you both don't have a credit card yet? 13 months without a credit card.? 

I don’t know if submitting a notarized affidavit would change anything as the credit report was ran in a misspelling of her name, so they would probably want to see that it was actually ran on her legal name. Also, we’re running really close to the deadline for the RFIE and really need to get this sent off ASAP. 

As for the credit card, our personal life circumstances don’t require us to have one, we have debit cards but we don’t believe in spending beyond our means and don’t need to at this point in our lives. We’re able to rent just fine and we have a means of transportation, we don’t plan on buying a house or getting a car loan any time soon so the debit cards take care of everything else. We both live with my brother so at this point there’s really no opportunity for us to build credit without putting us in debt for an asset we don’t need, either. We’re both young. Out of curiosity, why do you think we should have credit cards?

Edited by mogiftney

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.