one...two...tree

Why Americans Keep Getting Fatter

66 posts in this topic

Steven -- decline of the manufacturing industry. I don't doubt that HFCS is part of the problem, but if we removed it tomorrow, we wouldn't see an immediate drop in weight.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven,

Is USDA also responsible for obesity in the UK, Germany and other developed countries?

:wacko:

Lobbyists don't influence policy? :unsure:

Former USDA Insider Declares War on Government Food Guidelines

During her career as the nutrition director for the USDA, Light witnessed the blatantly cozy relationships that existed between the USDA and the food and agricultural lobbies and lobbyists. Not only did she witness the cover-up of an important study linking diet with a major chronic diseases, she also witnessed dangerous changes that were made to the 1992 US Food Pyramid in order to satisfy corporate interests rather than to protect the public's sour health. In fact, she warned the USDA that those very changes would cause an epidemic of obesity and diabetes, a warning that looks more like a prophesy, today.

"One thing I learned working in the government was that there are no gratuitous acts. Actions and reactions are designed to control the agenda, limit public access to potentially dangerous (to lobbyists) information, and protect under-the-radar arrangements between commercial interests and government agents," Dr. Luise Light

http://www.luiselight.com/Healthy_Eating_C...dor_Review.html

Wow, that review needs some serious editing! (First paragraph repeated halfway through, bits that make no sense, etc etc)

But... have you got a link to the source of the bit you first quoted? I'd like to get my husband to read that... sums up in a few succinct paragraphs something I've been trying to get across to him for a loooong time! Thanks for posting it.

(edit... oops, I left this thread open on the first page then came back hours later - funnily enough there's been quite a few replies since then, you've probably posted the link already - sorry!)

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

The true reason for this:

People eat too much, compounded by the consumption of the wrong foods.

Too much soda, snacks, burgers and other fast food #######. All super duper sized.

All combined with a lack of exercise.

Bumped from the beginning. If you are over target weight, the answer is here... :rolleyes:

Change those habits and you will see results.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Steven -- decline of the manufacturing industry. I don't doubt that HFCS is part of the problem, but if we removed it tomorrow, we wouldn't see an immediate drop in weight.

We didn't have children working those manufacturing jobs 20 years ago and yet today, there are more children with type 2 diabetes than ever before.

http://www.healthpolitics.org/program_tran...p=how_much_corn

The most profitable product refined from corn was established between the 1960s and 70s. In the late 60s, a Japanese chemist discovered the enzyme glucose isomerase. Ten years later, this discovery was used to develop the perfect low-cost sweetness substitute, high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS).3

The rest is history. Over the following three decades, HFCS and corn byproducts found their way into nearly every processed food … and drink. Coca Cola replaced sugar with HFCS in 1980 to save a few pennies and Pepsi followed suit in 1984. At lower cost, drinks and meals then went super-sized, because marketers quickly discovered that Americans would consume 30% larger portions and pay a few more cents for “value meals.” 3,7

On average, we each consume 200 calories more per day than we did 30 years ago – mostly in the form of hidden corn calories. We consistently eat corn and wash it down with more corn. And if you’re poor, it’s even worse. As I mentioned with the potato chip/carrots example, foods made with corn, aided by government subsidies, are often the cheapest and contain the most calories. By subsidizing corn, we have pointed those at the greatest risk to foods that are certain to make them sick.8

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. I agree with Caladan. Taking HFCS out of our foods would be GREAT, but it can't be the only cause. Especially because other developed nations are experiencing their own obesity epidemics, and HFCS is WAY less prevalent in other countries' processed foods. For example, American Coke is the only one using corn syrup, while all other countries use sugar in Coke.

2. Does anyone know of a lo-cal bread that doesn't use HFCS? I can't find one for the life of me.

Edited by Alex+R

Consider some cooking in your life, similar to Asian food. Many vegetables, balanced meat and carbs, but very spicy.

This will automatically reduce intake. Once you get accustomed to spicy, step it up a level.

Trust me, it works. I have maintained ideal body weight since meeting my wife, 6 years ago.

Need some recipes? Well, all you need to do is ask. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On average, we each consume 200 calories more per day than we did 30 years ago – mostly in the form of hidden corn calories.

How are the calories hidden?

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
1. I agree with Caladan. Taking HFCS out of our foods would be GREAT, but it can't be the only cause. Especially because other developed nations are experiencing their own obesity epidemics, and HFCS is WAY less prevalent in other countries' processed foods. For example, American Coke is the only one using corn syrup, while all other countries use sugar in Coke.

2. Does anyone know of a lo-cal bread that doesn't use HFCS? I can't find one for the life of me.

It's also about quantity. I don't eat as much as my peers and I've also learned to say "no".

Timeline
On average, we each consume 200 calories more per day than we did 30 years ago – mostly in the form of hidden corn calories.

From what I understand, not every calorie is the same - in the case of HFCS how our bodies metabolize it is different from other sugars. Simple sugars metabolize fast and therefore enter the bloodstream, raising our blood sugar faster than complex carbs. With HFCS, it is faster and more potent in terms of raising blood sugar levels, thereby taxing our pancreas.

For me, they're hidden in that HCFS is in food I wouldn't even expect to be sweet at all, let alone for it to contain extra sweeteners. One that springs to mind is the jar of pickles in our fridge door right now... the so-called vinegar seems to consist mostly of HCFS. Since when did vinegar need syrup in it?

There's plenty more... of course, I only just moved here, but for someone who knows (or knew, in her own country) pretty much what, and how much, she could eat, without putting on weight, the same rules do not apply AT ALL over here, even when you're eating an (apparently, at face value) comparable diet. The only way around it is to cook EVERYTHING from scratch, I think, or I'm going to be piling on the pounds month by month. :(

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Latvia
Timeline

:D

They hide. They are very sly and trained. You would never guess, that there is calories. They sneak under your spoon or dish and then jump right into your mouth, and you don't even notice this, so blame government and lobby for this, It has nothing to do with your life style, this is their secrecy sly hiding calories plan. :jest:

07/29/2006 – I-129 sent to Vermont

08/04/2006 - NOA1

08/28/2006 - NOA2 - approved

09/01/2006 - NVC - approved

09/07/2006 - Warsaw embassy sent packet 3 (damn post services, never received any)

09/18/2006 - packet 3 sent (Nothing fails)

09/27 - received packet 4

10/10 - medical exam

10/19 - INTERVIEW!

10/20 - received visa

11/7 - arrived in USA, POE YFK

1/19 - Married

02/23/2007 - Civil Surgeon (checked just vaccines for $ 25)

05/04/2007 - AOS package sent to Chicago

05/11/2007 - NOA1

05/15/2007 - NOA2 - ASC appointment letter about biometrics

05/24/2007 - RFE about tax forms w-2 and 1099!!!

06/05/2007 - Biometrics

21/06/2007 - NOA3 - Transfered to California

10/07/2007 - AOS approved, card production ordered!!!

19/07/2007 - Half year marriage anniversary - GC arrives!!!

07/08/2009 - Package sent (My cover letter 40 peaces of evidence)

07/14/2009 - check was cashed

07/10/2009 - NOA 1 received, GK extended for a year

07/17/2009 - received biometrics letter with my case number

08/06/2009 - scheduled biometrics appointment

11/16/2009 - approval

12/01/2009 - touched - card production ordered

2/26/2010 - got ten year card

No more departures!!!

No more typing!!!

Ne mirkli Tu neesi atstājis manas domas,

Tā, ka manas domas aizmirsa pat aizmirstību.

Mīļotais ir ienācis manā teltī,

Un mana sirds ir mulsas pārņemta.

For me, they're hidden in that HCFS is in food I wouldn't even expect to be sweet at all, let alone for it to contain extra sweeteners. One that springs to mind is the jar of pickles in our fridge door right now... the so-called vinegar seems to consist mostly of HCFS. Since when did vinegar need syrup in it?

There's plenty more... of course, I only just moved here, but for someone who knows (or knew, in her own country) pretty much what, and how much, she could eat, without putting on weight, the same rules do not apply AT ALL over here, even when you're eating an (apparently, at face value) comparable diet. The only way around it is to cook EVERYTHING from scratch, I think, or I'm going to be piling on the pounds month by month. :(

What's wrong with cooking anyway? It's an enjoyable escape from the day to day BS, with benefits. Why are we seeking alternative solutions to reality?

Eat the same #######, you will get fat. Cook your own food, responsibly, you will yield everything.

What more needs to be said here, more blame to the politicians? Wrong. Step up and fix your diet.

Steven, I think I'd be more likely to believe the link between HFCS and type II diabetes showing up in children than the overall obesity trend. And I think you're 100% right as to the link between poverty & obesity. But I think I'd blame trends in inactivity, city planning, and the like more than HFCS. Should go anyway, though. Corn subsidy's out of hand and it makes the Iowa primaries a joke.

C. needs to drop about 20 pounds. But he's had luck losing weight in the past doing nothing but cutting Coke out of his diet. Switch out sodas with water, and you probably save about 300 calories a day.

Alex, I often buy Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted breads from Trader Joe's, or directly from a local bakery. Either way, you avoid the HFCS.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

What's wrong with cooking anyway? It's an enjoyable escape from the day to day BS, with benefits. Why are we seeking alternative solutions to reality?

Eat the same #######, you will get fat. Cook your own food, responsibly, you will yield everything.

What more needs to be said here, more blame to the politicians? Wrong. Step up and fix your diet.

Oh, there is nothing wrong with cooking - I love it. I just need to adjust my internal 'how much non-cooking (y'know, not just fast food, but pre-prepared sauces and other seemingly harmless 'shortcuts') can I get away with?' gauge... when even something as innocent-looking as a pickled cucumber is coated in syrupy gloop, it's definitely time to rethink! Oh, and it's also time to rethink my long-held belief that everything's cheaper in the US than the UK. Food isn't. Not the fresh stuff, anyway.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Timeline
Steven, I think I'd be more likely to believe the link between HFCS and type II diabetes showing up in children than the overall obesity trend. And I think you're 100% right as to the link between poverty & obesity. But I think I'd blame trends in inactivity, city planning, and the like more than HFCS. Should go anyway, though. Corn subsidy's out of hand and it makes the Iowa primaries a joke.

C. needs to drop about 20 pounds. But he's had luck losing weight in the past doing nothing but cutting Coke out of his diet. Switch out sodas with water, and you probably save about 300 calories a day.

Alex, I often buy Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted breads from Trader Joe's, or directly from a local bakery. Either way, you avoid the HFCS.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would be in favor if HFCS were banned. It probably won't happen until more conclusive studies have been done, but I'm really skeptical about any food additive that has been molecularly altered.