waiting489

Any luck moving pets to the US from Australia lately?

8 posts in this topic

Hello, sorry if this has a already been a post somewhere. 

We are looking for our options back to the USA from Australia right now which still has pretty strict travel requirements.

Has anyone had any luck with any of the airlines on moving with their pets with the whole COVID on? 

Thanks in advance. 

*~*~*country-specific question moved to Australia and New Zealand regional

forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 hours ago, waiting489 said:

We are looking for our options back to the USA from Australia right now which still has pretty strict travel requirements.

Has anyone had any luck with any of the airlines on moving with their pets with the whole COVID on? 

Thanks in advance. 

Try these guys, they have a notice on their site, I used them almost 8 years ago I think and they were really good, far easier than attempting it myself.

https://www.jetpets.com.au/important-pet-travel-update/

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

I called JetPets the day before Victoria entered lockdown to get an idea of what kind of planning I'll need to do when the time comes. They were still flying pets to the US at the time but there were very few airlines available to take pets and those flights were going via the Middle East. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 7/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, waiting489 said:

Thanks in advance. 

Hello 😊

I moved my dogs from Australia to Los Angeles on Wednesday and it wasn't easy because of covid and the reduced number of flights available for pet transport. At one stage there were no airlines transporting animals to USA but I understand a few more airlines are taking animals now. I was lucky to get my two dogs on a Qantas freight flight using Pet Traveller - it was really just luck that I managed to get the dogs on the flight.

I would suggest giving a few of the well known pet transport companies a call and see what options they are offering 😊

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions! 😊

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Im curious about this too as well as the cost. I emailed aero pets and jetpets for quotes, Jetpets said they can't do quotes right now, so that's fun! LOL. Would be a 30 kg dog, so she can't ride in the cabin with my partner

• 2 weeks later...

Our dog left Brisbane on the 20th December into Miami. Shes 20kg, any heavier and would have had to go to Sydney to leave.

All organised through Dogtainers. Give them a bell :)

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies. Figure I will update on our pets journey. 

We went from Sydney to Washington DC. We were hoping to go this February 2021, but my job wanted me here ASAP so we had to drop everything and make it work. 

After a direct file at the Sydney Consulate for my wife’s green card, we then contacted just about all the pet moving services in Australia and the USA. 

In October and November the only airlines flying pets were Qatar, Emirates, Air Canada, and Air New Zealand (this could have changed by now). 

None had space out of Sydney and they wouldn’t have worked anyway since Air Canada and ANZ both flew from Sydney to Auckland (no way for dogs to come out of crates in Auckland), then onto either Vancouver or Los Angeles (at that time their journey to LAX would be over since none of the US airlines were flying pets as cargo and I couldn’t be in the same flights to pick them up.  so that eliminated that). Vancouver does not have an animal transit facility, so after Sydney to Auckland then Vancouver, then Toronto (Air Canada has an animal transfer facility here) it would be the first time they would be let out.......not really feasible at all. 

So we ended up going Sydney to Brisbane via Van transit. They were let out to play etc and stayed over night. Then they went Brisbane to Dubai with Emirates. In Dubai were picked up by a handler and taken to a facility that had other dogs so they could play, eat, etc....and another overnight. Then Dubai to Washington DC. (I know what a trip, but we saw this as the best way as they would be together and let out at each city for breaks)

We ended up using Dogtainers, we did get quotes from jet pets, and aeropets as well. 

We moved a 20kg Kelpie and a 8kg Jack Russell and at the end of the day and it was about $12,000AUD for both. 

I hope this helps, and hopefully more airlines will start flying pets again. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.