3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Page 6 of I-944 instructions says "Submit any tax transcripts for any income taxes that you or your household members filed with any foreign government if you or your household members were residing outside of the United States during any time within the most recent tax year and you were not required to file a federal individual income tax return with the United States government."

Today, I just found out my husband hasn't filed his Australian taxes since 2017. I'm not sure what to do. Should I just submit his 2017 tax form? Should he quickly only do 2019 return so we can provide it for I-944 purpose? He owes about 12k (independent contractor) just from this most recent year🤦🏼‍♀️ Big chunk of money to just hand over right now without me being aware of the situation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jsg2016 said:

Page 6 of I-944 instructions says "Submit any tax transcripts for any income taxes that you or your household members filed with any foreign government if you or your household members were residing outside of the United States during any time within the most recent tax year and you were not required to file a federal individual income tax return with the United States government."

Today, I just found out my husband hasn't filed his Australian taxes since 2017. I'm not sure what to do. Should I just submit his 2017 tax form? Should he quickly only do 2019 return so we can provide it for I-944 purpose? He owes about 12k (independent contractor) just from this most recent year🤦🏼‍♀️ Big chunk of money to just hand over right now without me being aware of the situation.

Hmm. I don't have a huge experience in the matter but I would just submit the 2017 tax return with an additional page saying he hasn't filed since 2017. Did he state his job and income on any of the forms you have submitted yet? I don't think that unless you guys have stated that he had a job that there would be an issue. I don't know if there is a way for the US government to know whether a foreigner hasn't filed taxes or was required to. But I might be wrong. I also don't think it would make a huge difference if you he did owe 12k Aud to the Aus gov as far as moving here goes as long as he has a payment plan and does go delinquent on it. 

Our taxes fall due in the October in the new financial year. I don’t think submitting 2017 taxes would suffice. They would assume probably need the most recent tax year so 2019 tax return (2020 hasn’t fallen due yet). Tax returns in Australia still need to be filed even if the Australian is living and working overseas. Australians living aboard also need to pay tax on their foreign income to the ATO. 

I would suggest telling him to file the overdue tax years ASAP and work out a payment plan with the ATO for whatever he owes currently.  The last thing he would want to do is present the idea that he is potentially evading paying taxes in his home country.  

good luck!

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.