woofwoof

Will Biometric be Delayed due to Moving?

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone -

I filed my AOS in June and received the notice on June 18.  We're considering moving soon and likely out of state, but I worry that it will delay my biometric appointment. Should I worry about it? Would I be placed behind all the people who file before I change my address? If so, there will be a few-month delay. I really want to avoid such delay cause I need to have EAD on time for my internship.

Thank you :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
27 minutes ago, woofwoof said:

Hello everyone -

I filed my AOS in June and received the notice on June 18.  We're considering moving soon and likely out of state, but I worry that it will delay my biometric appointment. Should I worry about it? Would I be placed behind all the people who file before I change my address? If so, there will be a few-month delay. I really want to avoid such delay cause I need to have EAD on time for my internship.

Thank you :)

Your address change does not move your position in the queue.

YMMV

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

Your address change does not move your position in the queue.

Thanks for your reply! That's very good to hear.

I still feel nervous, though, because the system isn't very transparent - do you happen to have any detail regarding how it works or how others have experienced this? I have seen many people talking about the impact of moving on interview, but not biometric. Any additional info would help me feel more at ease. 

Thanks!!!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, woofwoof said:

Thanks for your reply! That's very good to hear.

I still feel nervous, though, because the system isn't very transparent - do you happen to have any detail regarding how it works or how others have experienced this? I have seen many people talking about the impact of moving on interview, but not biometric. Any additional info would help me feel more at ease. 

Thanks!!!

Getting your biometrics done quickly doesn't speed up the application.   As long as your biometrics are complete by the time the application gets to an adjudicator's desk, you are fine.  Precovid, biometrics was taking about 30 to 45 days after submission.   My wife's biometrics was at 120 days.  It had zero impact her applications as they completed right on schedule with others with similar timelines

YMMV

14 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Getting your biometrics done quickly doesn't speed up the application.   As long as your biometrics are complete by the time the application gets to an adjudicator's desk, you are fine.  Precovid, biometrics was taking about 30 to 45 days after submission.   My wife's biometrics was at 120 days.  It had zero impact her applications as they completed right on schedule with others with similar timelines

Thanks for the details! 

My worry is that I may have my EAD approved before the biometric appointment, which will delay the issue of EAD card. I have seen many people said that their EAD got approved but didn't get the card because the biometric hasn't done. The EAD process will not be impacted by the address change, but I worry that  biometric will. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, woofwoof said:

Thanks for the details! 

My worry is that I may have my EAD approved before the biometric appointment, which will delay the issue of EAD card. I have seen many people said that their EAD got approved but didn't get the card because the biometric hasn't done. The EAD process will not be impacted by the address change, but I worry that  biometric will. 

EAD is taking roughly 6 months.  Considering ASCs were closed for 4 months, it is possible that the covid effect was the reason for delayed biometrics.   ASCs are now open.

YMMV

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

If the ASC serving your new location has huge backlogs compared to the former one, then yes there could be delays in the biometrics.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the "AOS from WS&T Visas" Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.